Bjj blue belt vs gjj blue belt.

Really? I'm sure I read on their site it takes about 2 years.

I train at a CTC, it is 80 classes from zero stripe white to 4 stripe white. I have a CTC class card on my shelf with my old white belt.

Grace Academy is minimum of 80 classes to be Blue belt eligible (80 classes gets you 4 stripe white). Then you're allowed to test.

Gracie academy curriculum is quite solid, 80 clases of 1 hour is only 80 hours though, which seems quite low, then again, if the curriculum and the teaching are well structurates I guess you can get the most out of those 80 hours, then again, since the don't free roll, I'm not so sure about the proeficiency of their students .

Gracie academy curriculum is quite solid, 80 clases of 1 hour is only 80 hours...

I know, that's just for stripes. Doesn't mean someone automatically puts a blue belt on you. Let me clarify.

Here's how it fully works with the GA attendance cards you've probably seen in videos:

1. Each class is split a standing technique and a ground technique (example: Lesson one is Leg Hook Takedown from clinch + Trap and Roll Escape from mount bottom)
2. Instructor checks each lesson at the end of class on your card and you get a check for stripe attendance
3. Each lesson has three marks to denote how many times you've done that lesson.
4. After you have attended each lesson at least twice, you can go to Reflex Development Classes. Reflex Development classes are basically situational sparring.
5. After you have completed each lesson three times, attended 80 classes total and 12 Reflex Development classes your card will be full.
6. Now you are eligible to test.

I know, that's just for stripes. Doesn't mean someone automatically puts a blue belt on you. Let me clarify.

Here's how it fully works with the GA attendance cards you've probably seen in videos:

1. Each class is split a standing technique and a ground technique (example: Lesson one is Leg Hook Takedown from clinch + Trap and Roll Escape from mount bottom)
2. Instructor checks each lesson at the end of class on your card and you get a check for stripe attendance
3. Each lesson has three marks to denote how many times you've done that lesson.
4. After you have attended each lesson at least twice, you can go to Reflex Development Classes. Reflex Development classes are basically situational sparring.
5. After you have completed each lesson three times, attended 80 classes total and 12 Reflex Development classes your card will be full.
6. Now you are eligible to test.

No free rolling?

No free rolling?

At GA, no. However at our CTC and another I've visited while on vacation they both rolled after class at each.

So official answer per GA: not for white belts. Unofficially, each CTC is their own business and can do as they want.

EDIT: this is just my opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if Torrance doesn't change the "no sparring for white belts" policy. They have made the white belt test include gi, no gi and vale tudo sparring so you have to obviously get some rolling time before that.

Last edited:
No free rolling?

At the one I attended when I first began rolling was only after master cycle white helps could attend master cycle but it was kind of frowned upon.

Also to tag on to what was said before about the cards and 80 classes to test for blue my ctc offered am/pm classes and I know a guy who trained 2x a day and got his blue belt in like 3months because of it that's where I feel the system is flawed he's unathletic doesn't have good technique and is still pretty spazzy he would leave after combatives then come back only for the pm combatives never once rolled but performed the blue belt test well enough apparently

They're tarnishing their family name, this shit isn't for everyone.

Can't believe anyone would question whether a GJJ any belt can handle themselves or some shit about not sparring.

I've personally never been to a Gracie academy that didn't spar, some of them say no FREE rolling (still rolling) until you get 3 stripes on your white belt or something but that's pretty quick.

But I went to academies that happened to have a Gracie black belt, they don't necessarily follow this curriculum.

Everyone seems to think this learning method is synonymous with Gracie but it isn't.

If you don't have to roll to earn it, it's not earned in my opinion. I also think you should compete at least once to get your blue belt (unless you are too old, or want to stay at white for a longer period of time). In general I don't care about the belts, because there is no unified requirement system. In my academy they are given primarily for success in competition.

For example I got my purple belt last august, I've been training for 3 years and 3 months now, and I've had 122 matches during this time. There was a guy who got his purple at the same time, he wasn't a competitor though, he had spent 6,5 years at blue.

"]If you don't have to roll to earn it" - GJJ makes you roll before you get a blue belt

"I also think you should compete at least once to get your blue belt"

John-Danaher-3-up.jpg

If they are able to apply a RNC, armbar from mount/guard, triangle choke, ankle lock....on an untrained person who is combative/aggressive towards them, yes, that is at the very least, a high level white belt and I would say a low level blue belt.

Awesome I can do all that on even trained people (but not too trained) I want my belt !!! J/k I just started GI this week and can wait my turn for the belt. But I may have to apply for that 45 year old plus exemptions.

I came from a boxing and muay thai background (usually trained in gyms which had boxing, muayt hai,mma and bjj) and when i went to a couple of pure bjj gyms, i didnt really like their method of teachings.Everyone regardless of experience were taught the same 2 moves and asked to practice and then roll afterwards. There was no proper curriculum and even after a couple months retention of knowledge was not there.

Plus some of these gyms (pure sports bjj) seemed to have a stick up their ass trying to prove stuff due to my standup and a lil bit of mma background (egging me during rolls).I never had that problem during the few bjj lessons i took in gyms which taught a mixture of standup and ground sessions.

I suffered a slip disc during one of those uber agrressive rolls and was out for over 8 months.Late last year i joined a Gracie CTC. Have been training 2 to 3 times a week for about 3 months and just got my 1st stripe. At this rate, i would be on course for 4 stripes white in a year. (you have to go through each technique e.g take the back/rear naked choke 4 times in the curriculum)

Plus first 15 minutes of each session starts with practicing the moves you learnt before with a partner. Im usually at the gym 20 minutes earlier and if there is no partner there yet, i would do drills on the heavy bag.

I really like the curriculum and systematic style of teaching and at our gym we start rolling ( your choice ) at open mat sessions after each class. We have a mixture of guys with MMA /Boxing/ Krav Maga / Weightlifting backgrounds so though we dont roll full on, we get to learn quite abit applying techniques on different people. ( Like the boxing guy would throw punches when we try to get into a clinch takedown, Weightlifting guy uses his strength when on the ground, Krav guy goes for eyes and balls etc.

The controversy on online blue belts is well known. Rickson stepped in and though he commended Rener on their focus on self defence he also said a true blue belt should be able to handle himself with a trained and also untrained opponent. They have now changed it to a special Gracie Combatives belt, which you get after your 4th white stripe assuming you pass the test.

GC-GU-pic.jpg

I dont really care much for belts, since i wear nogi attire for training mostly, but i do get that having a belt aids with retention of students who need something to aspire for.

Don't consider the Gracie academy in Torrance to be the standard for other Gracie's who train they may have sold out but Renzos reasons roylers are very solid

At the one I attended when I first began rolling was only after master cycle white helps could attend master cycle but it was kind of frowned upon.

Our master cycle classes are available to white belts as well, but with the fresh ones who are only a month in aren't getting anything out of it imo. Like if you havent learned to take the back from Mount, guard etc then what good is triple threat from the back take?

Don't consider the Gracie academy in Torrance to be the standard for other Gracie's who train they may have sold out but Renzos reasons roylers are very solid

Correct
But what I understood they own the copyright and sue anyone that use Gracie Jiu Jitsu name.

"]If you don't have to roll to earn it" - GJJ makes you roll before you get a blue belt

"I also think you should compete at least once to get your blue belt"

John-Danaher-3-up.jpg

I didn't know you had to roll at the test. But you don't have to roll in practice, it's not the same thing to drill things as it is to hit new moves on trained opponents. Try to watch a youtube vid and hit that shit next training session on someone who is close to your skillset.

Nice job pulling a Danaher. I said "unless you are old". Well, Danaher is old in addition to having a hip replacement.

Counting mat time is retarded too, how can you be anywhere near blue with 80 hours? 80 hours in something like 7-8 weeks of training. Most people say that I was quickly given my blue, but it took me about 550-600 hours of training + 7 tournaments.

Our master cycle classes are available to white belts as well, but with the fresh ones who are only a month in aren't getting anything out of it imo. Like if you havent learned to take the back from Mount, guard etc then what good is triple threat from the back take?

Someone people (myself included at the time) just want more mat time/ exposure. I didn't have an array of moves but from being such an avid fan of mma had a basic grasp of the positions and what I was in danger of. It was valuable to me to be thrown to the wolves try what I naturally thought was the right defense then ask what was the proper defense after the roll.

The main problem imo is they haven't learned to remove their ego yet and would rather stall/spazz then use technique and experiment at the risk of losing

I guess people don't understand what is a blue belt from Gracie's point of view. Blue belt is mostly about self defense. It's the most important belt according to Rickson. Tournaments? Who cares about the tournaments, it's your choice if you want to compete or not.

I guess people don't understand what is a blue belt from Gracie's point of view. Blue belt is mostly about self defense. It's the most important belt according to Rickson. Tournaments? Who cares about the tournaments, it's your choice if you want to compete or not.

Who cares about Rickson's views?

Damn elitist Gracies trying to stay relevant by addressing everything about jiu-jitsu

relson uses gracie jiu jitsu and hates the coin bjj but rorion respects him to much to sue im sure

Back