Bjj blue belt vs gjj blue belt.

The thing is it's so easy to watch a video of a technique on youtube or the internet and then think you got it down, but then if you train with a resisting person it becomes obvious really quickly it's just not that easy. I've been there lol.

I agree. Watch a tutorial on how to disarm a person with a gun and try it with a real person trying to kill you, and see how that works out for you.

These things depend on the school. I know a GJJ school where they don't spar in the GJJ class, but they spar in the wrestling class right afterwards, and they do well in comp. The GJJ is just an affiliation that people use to get students. Some school will have good instructors, and top notch students, other will not.

I agree. Watch a tutorial on how to disarm a person with a gun and try it with a real person trying to kill you, and see how that works out for you.
Ya so gjj sucks but all you other suckers that train bjj are ready to disarm an attacker with a gun.
That is a terrible example

The thing is it's so easy to watch a video of a technique on youtube or the internet and then think you got it down, but then if you train with a resisting person it becomes obvious really quickly it's just not that easy. I've been there lol.
You are assuming all gjj membets watch the videos by themselves. Why can't they watch a video and practice with their partner who is resisting just like they were in class. Just the instructors are 2 of the best in the world who are on video instead of in person. When I first started jiu jitsu I was hooked. My buddies ans I trained all the time with what we learned in class and the we were on the grass, in the living room it didn't matter we were just training to figure it out

I didn't know you had to roll at the test. But you don't have to roll in practice, it's not the same thing to drill things as it is to hit new moves on trained opponents. Try to watch a youtube vid and hit that shit next training session on someone who is close to your skillset.

Nice job pulling a Danaher. I said "unless you are old". Well, Danaher is old in addition to having a hip replacement.

Counting mat time is retarded too, how can you be anywhere near blue with 80 hours? 80 hours in something like 7-8 weeks of training. Most people say that I was quickly given my blue, but it took me about 550-600 hours of training + 7 tournaments.
All the talk about "legit" blue belt is a little silly. Blue Belt isn't world-beater level. Blue Belt means that you're starting to understand the language of jiu jitsu. And legit is subjective as fuck. You want to make or question making allowances for age? How about for athleticism? Or infirmity, physical disability? These aren't allowances, these are realizing that if BJJ is a martial art, not a quantifiable sport only, then people can become the blue, purple, brown, and blackbelt versions of THEMSELVES. Regardless of how they might do in competition. Danaher didn't compete, and it had nothing to do with age or disability from what I understand. But that has no bearing on whether or not he has a beyond blackbelt level of knowledge of jiu jitsu. And rolling capability too, from what I've read. As for age, you take a guy who starts BJJ later in life - he's never going to be a world champion. Does that mean that he shouldn't strive for a decade or more of enjoyment as he works toward his goal of black belt? Or a very unathletic guy, or somebody who just doesn't like the stress or time sacrifice of competition, should he not still be able to make BJJ his pursuit? Should someone with Cerebral Palsy not even bother starting? There is a worthwhile jiu jitsu for everybody.

Also, regardling competition - it is not the only, or even the best standard. It is a valuable tool, and can help you progress. But it is as much of a measure of athletic ability and competitive composure as it is a measure of jiu jitsu skill. Don't make the mistake of discounting a practitioner just because they are not all about competition. You could miss out on a valuable training partner, instructor, etc.

Ya so gjj sucks but all you other suckers that train bjj are ready to disarm an attacker with a gun.
That is a terrible example

Taken out of context the way you took it, it would be. However, the poster above stated watch a video of a technique and try it on a fully resisting person; that is the context of my statement. Nobody claimed to be able to disarm somebody with a gun, the intent of the statement was to demonstrate that if you don't practice something with a resisting opponent then if you have to do it for real it is highly unlikely you will be successful

Gracie academy curriculum is quite solid, 80 clases of 1 hour is only 80 hours though, which seems quite low, then again, if the curriculum and the teaching are well structurates I guess you can get the most out of those 80 hours, then again, since the don't free roll, I'm not so sure about the proeficiency of their students .

Having first-hand experience with the Gracie Academy a while back, I can say that their blue-belts are nowhere near as competent in rolling than other blue belts from another school or lineage. One thing that certainly sticks to mind is that everything I learned from GA, stuck with me 100%. I've forgotten tons of moves throughout the years but never forgot their teachings. They teach in a way that makes it easy to remember and execute. I'm really interested in how their newly minted browns match up with other browns of the same years dedicated give or take one year. I suspect the beauty of their teaching methods show way later since they don't value blue belts the way other schools do. Just my observation. BTW, I was offered but refused the Kool-Aid at the onset.

Last edited:
Having first-hand experience with the Gracie Academy a while back, I can say that their blue-belts are nowhere near as competent in rolling than other blue belts from another school or lineage. One thing that certainly sticks to mind is that everything I learned from GA, stuck with me 100%. I've forgotten tons of moves throughout the years but never forgot their teachings. They teach in a way that makes it easy to remember and execute. I'm really interested in how their newly minted browns match up with other browns of the same years dedicated give or take one year. I suspect the beauty of their teaching methods show way later since they don't value blue belts the way other schools do. Just my observation. BTW, I was offered but refused the Kool-Aid at the onset.

What exactly do you define as "competence in rolling"? Under what type of rules in rolling? If you're talking sportive gi rolling then yes, I would agree. A freshly minted GA blue belt has essentially learned a no-gi curriculum where the sole emphasis is "don't get punched in the face". So yeah they will not know gi chokes, gi grips etc.

But if I rolled with them no-gi and tried to slap them open handed in the face they SHOULD do a good job defending and escaping while not getting slapped. I've been in the grappling game for about 4 years now and I can think of a lot of blue belts from "sporty" gyms that would be flustered and have hand prints on their cheeks by time we got done if I tried slapping them.

What exactly do you define as "competence in rolling"? Under what type of rules in rolling? If you're talking sportive gi rolling then yes, I would agree. A freshly minted GA blue belt has essentially learned a no-gi curriculum where the sole emphasis is "don't get punched in the face". So yeah they will not know gi chokes, gi grips etc.

But if I rolled with them no-gi and tried to slap them open handed in the face they SHOULD do a good job defending and escaping while not getting slapped. I've been in the grappling game for about 4 years now and I can think of a lot of blue belts from "sporty" gyms that would be flustered and have hand prints on their cheeks by time we got done if I tried slapping them.

Fine, but I can also point to some GA blue belts who would have their guards sliced through by "Sport" players even if you allowed the GA blue to slap....

Fine, but I can also point to some GA blue belts who would have their guards sliced through by "Sport" players even if you allowed the GA blue to slap....
You're not wrong. I'm just saying that the criteria of competency is not hard and fast. Competency in the case of this comparison is very subjective.

How can she slap!!??!!?

Didn't watch. The subtitle show the wrong use of the word "there" so I figure this is not an intelligent argument much like how this thread was started. 99 percent of people on Sherdog could not walk into the Gracie Academy and last 5 minutes with Ryron or Renner.

Didn't watch. The subtitle show the wrong use of the word "there" so I figure this is not an intelligent argument much like how this thread was started. 99 percent of people on Sherdog could not walk into the Gracie Academy and last 5 minutes with Ryron or Renner.

Who claims they can last 5 min vs Ryron and Rener?

I've legit seen a couple posts here say that they were both cans and lacked skill.

Yeah, but anybody who would write something like that obviously doesn't know what's up. Same sort of people who say Conor can KO Mayweather in a straight boxing match.

I own a school here in NY. A few towns away is a GJJ school run by a Blue Belt who's been training for 6 years...he comes by every now an then. Nice guy, he's probably 25. Absolutely terrible Jiu Jitsu though. The fact he has a BJJ program scares me. He will come to my academies open mats, and will get absolutely steam rolled by my competitive white belts.

Back