BJ Penn is 12-11 in the UFC..

I agree he needs to retire but it doesn't hurt his legacy.

Real fans know that father time's down slope doesn't take away from prime.

Who are these people, and why would anyone care what they think? I know Penn was awesome, as does everybody that watched him fight.

There's no such thing a a ruined record; just dumbasses that don't know what they're talking about.

Anyone who looks at his records and declares "he's a can" isn't to be taken seriously. Legacies are determined by people who know the sport and understand the context of a fighter's record.

That being said, I agree that he should have retired a long time ago.

About every all time great boxer fights way past their primes. Boxing historians realize ts not a knock on their legacy. It's easy.to recognize they're not in their.glory days.

Fighting past didn't hurt Ali, sugar Ray Robinson or leonards legacy.

Shit I could probably beat Larry bird 1 on 1 now.
I wouldn't think we'll shit I beat Larry bird, I'm one of the 50 greatest ballers of all time.

Just use a bit of ye ole' common sense

BJ has had a very odd and unique career.

Even in his prime he lost a lot of fights because of his poor cardio and his insistence on fighting above his weight class.

If you look at his lightweight title defenses, they're honestly not that impressive. Sherk, Sanchez, and Florian were all in that journeyman-gatekeeeper range. But then again he did choke out Hughes and take GSP to a split decision.

I think in the modern MMA landscape a guy like him couldn't get away with fighting so high above his weight class. If he had come along around this time he would have had to spend his entire career at featherweight to be successful.

But you have to give him props for doing what he did. How many times did GSP fight at middleweight in the UFC? 0. BJ's legacy was never about having a pristine record. It was about fighting anybody at any weight and always looking for the finish. He had violent, entertaining fights. Not sparring sessions.

People are talking about Penn vs Punk in a semi-joking manner... that says lot.

Why do people love this guy so much?

12 11 record... terrible.

He was never great.

He's lost his killer instinct. This version of Penn is long gone:

veqkhf.gif

Prime Penn ate your soul. It's sad seeing him like this, frankly. Doesn't look like he even wants to be there.

records don't matter except for when they do

Frankie beat him 3 times and is better than him. Frankie is also a LW reject who got destroyed twice by the FW GOAT where the FW GOAT got mounted and destroyed by a guy that lost to a guy with one leg.. that is how good he was. Also the FW Goat got 13 seconds by the guy with one leg who beat the FW GOAT

BJ has been outstruck 589-198 since his last win. Nearly half those strikes he landed were also against Nick who still more than doubled BJ in strikes.

BJ penn was a good fighter, but i have always felt he was overrated. 5 losses in a row, winless in 8 of his 9 last fights (being beaten badly in many of those fights), and losing to the same guy (Edgar three times), definitely hurts his legacy- regardless if the Penn fans think otherwise.

BJ Penn and Aldo were always limited by their cardio... Funny how it is never mention during their fights.

The Penn I like to remember is the one who KTFO'd Uno and Din Thomas in his 2nd and 3rd fights. This Prodigy who came out of nowhere and just ran over people. In his WW debut he strangled Matt Hughes and took his belt at a time when most people looked at Hughes as the WW GOAT and one of the top P4P fighters in the world.

The noob is strong with this poster.

Nope, not a noob at all, been watching for years. What's so great about him? No cardio at all, mediocre striking. Has been dominated multiple times

Back