Bioware hired an amateur to do the facial Animations

She looks like she has FAS

Not just her.... several of the women in the game look... well, like you would need a few beers or a dozen.

I've been reading a few articles and it looks like there's even feminists who are a little peeved at what's happening with Bioware. I guess it started with the Dragon Age sequels.

Like I asked earlier, why? The male characters didn't get this treatment.

A lot of people getting upset about a LA 7 being turned into a Boise 4

Not just her.... several of the women in the game look... well, like you would need a few beers or a dozen.

I've been reading a few articles and it looks like there's even feminists who are a little peeved at what's happening with Bioware. I guess it started with the Dragon Age sequels.

Like I asked earlier, why? The male characters didn't get this treatment.

Typical women never happy with anything. All the female faces have the same weird puffy cheek square face look.

Dont know why developers are putting this gender politic stuff in games most people dont care and the minority that does half will probably take offence because its obviously just shoehorned in.

Also dont know why that guy is white knighting a video game character lol

A lot of people getting upset about a LA 7 being turned into a Boise 4
It's not even the middling attractiveness of the renders. That isn't what's irritating. It's the complete abandon of reason out of a fanatical devotion to an artificial political ideology. It reminds me of that portion of Joe Rogan's latest standup, Triggered, when he rants about everyone calling Caitlyn Jenner beautiful, and he muses, "What the fuck am I gonna tell me 6-year-old daughter when she sees a rose for the first time?"

I have trouble understanding why people work so hard to be willfully blind: for Trump, or for this SJW nonsense. Two sides of the same coin from where I sit.

It's not even the middling attractiveness of the renders. That isn't what's irritating. It's the complete abandon of reason out of a fanatical devotion to an artificial political ideology. It reminds me of that portion of Joe Rogan's latest standup, Triggered, when he rants about everyone calling Caitlyn Jenner beautiful, and he muses, "What the fuck am I gonna tell me 6-year-old daughter when she sees a rose for the first time?"

I have trouble understanding why people work so hard to be willfully blind: for Trump, or for this SJW nonsense. Two sides of the same coin from where I sit.
I was just making a joke...sorry

I was just making a joke...sorry
LOL, no, I got that. I understood that your comment was a joke. I am versed in Sports Bar terminology, after all. I was just pointing out how absurd it is that people don't want to recognize that even "subjective" qualities like beauty have undeniably objective value. Example. They've done studies where they show faces to people from across cultures and ask them to rate them based on attractiveness. Race, gender, etc. There's very little variation in opinion. If a subject is rated on average a "10" by a large group of people, and another a "7", then you can reliably and intelligently estimate the former to be regarded as more attractive by a wider group of untested subjects of any gender, sexuality, race, creed, or culture.

Turns out: pretty is pretty, handsome is handsome.

The heart of the valid criticism, here, was BioWare's inability to reproduce that faithfully, not such much the lost value of a less comely viewing experience, but the latter is real as a market value derived from the preponderance of public opinion.

I really don't care about the Sara Ryder thing. That is the female character and maybe females prefer a more average looking woman. That's no reason for most men to be offended. My reason for being offended is that this is a fucking fantasy video game and there isn't one attractive woman on the crew of the ship. How can I "team-build" in such an environment??

The heart of the valid criticism, here, was BioWare's inability to reproduce that faithfully, not such much the lost value of a less comely viewing experience, but the latter is real as a market value derived from the preponderance of public opinion.
It's not just as superficial as wanting to look at something pretty either though. The whole experience is unsettling in this game. I'm having a seriously hard time getting into it when everyone has some weird googly eyes expression and walk in some unnatural movements around the ship. The graphics engine is clearly modern and yet sometimes when I see these people I feel like I'm play a game from 2005.

Anyways, it is completely unacceptable for a major title to have the kinds of flaws that this game is having right now. It blows my mind that it came out like this.

I thought this was a stylistic choice. Like everyone in the future is ugly as shit.

It's not just as superficial as wanting to look at something pretty either though. The whole experience is unsettling in this game. I'm having a seriously hard time getting into it when everyone has some weird googly eyes expression and walk in some unnatural movements around the ship. The graphics engine is clearly modern and yet sometimes when I see these people I feel like I'm play a game from 2005.

Anyways, it is completely unacceptable for a major title to have the kinds of flaws that this game is having right now. It blows my mind that it came out like this.
It put me off completely in the first five minutes. I've always boasted that I'm a guy who cares about gameplay and nothing else, so I'm glad they spent as much time as they did clearly polishing that (it's so fluid), but yeah, I didn't realize how much I took for granted with facial animations. Holy crap do they help parlay that suspension of disbelief.

Ultimately, though, replay value is in the gameplay, so if they made a really fun game, it will hold up, and it looks like guys are still enjoying the hell out of it after the 30-hour mark, usually far more so than at first, and that's a really good sign. If they notch the win there...it doesn't matter what any stupid Metacritic scores say.

I wouldn't agree with "all wrong". I think pretty much all of the criticisms are valid, just most are exaggerated. The facial animations are just bad. No excusing it. But certain things like "LOL, LOOK HOW FUNNY THIS CHICK IS WALKING!!!" is a bug, not the norm.

The more I play it, though, the more I feel the comparison to the original Mass Effect are spot on, at least mechanically. It doesn't have the ultra slick cinematic feel and being an explorer isn't nearly as cool as being an intergalactic shadow operative fighting off a mysterious galaxy threatening invasion buts its still a fun, deep, sci fi RPG with an insane amount of content. It has many of the the same lows as the original, but it's highs don't reach the same peak.

I wouldn't agree with "all wrong". I think pretty much all of the criticisms are valid, just most are exaggerated. The facial animations are just bad. No excusing it. But certain things like "LOL, LOOK HOW FUNNY THIS CHICK IS WALKING!!!" is a bug, not the norm.

The more I play it, though, the more I feel the comparison to the original Mass Effect are spot on, at least mechanically. It doesn't have the ultra slick cinematic feel and being an explorer isn't nearly as cool as being an intergalactic shadow operative fighting off a mysterious galaxy threatening invasion buts its still a fun, deep, sci fi RPG with an insane amount of content. It has many of the the same lows as the original, but it's highs don't reach the same peak.
I'm not saying I agree, but this review stands out for openly disagreeing with the critical consensus, so I thought to include it to avoid the echo chamber effect.

It's actually hysterical seeing people trying to defend this, then accusing other people of 'bad politics'.

If your politics prevent you from seeing how awful this game looks, it's you that needs to stop with the political hackery.

It's not like they were trying to make a different looking game, they just failed at basic shit.

I'm not a guy who only cares about graphics at all, but if they were trying to make a game that looked different, that's one thing. What they did was try to make a game that looked good and failed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back