Best Footwork In MMA History

Conor has the current best assuming he's not retired. I'm not a fan of the prick but you gotta recognize at some point.
conor-cross-into-lead-uppercut-cross.gif

So subtle, makes it look easy gliding into that lead uppercut-left cross. Anderson in his prime was the mma Roy Jones.

Conor has the best if you don't know anything about footwork. He moves forward and backward well, but his lateral movement is downright terrible most of the time.

it doesn't necessarily matter whether someones footwork is ugly or pretty... as long as it's effective. I've always thought Dom had a very aesthetically pleasing style (other than his lack of punching power haha), who do you think has elite footwork? Since you think Dom's style is ugly I'm curious who you enjoy?

What exactly is "elite footwork." What is the point of footwork? To have your feet (which act as springs) underneath you to absorb force. So the person with the best footwork isn't the flashiest or the sloppiest. It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with how often a fighter has his feet underneath him and how often he throws himself off balance.

Stipe is a good example of a high level fighter who continually throws himself off balance when throwing right straights. I personally think the best footwork in MMA belongs to Fedor. Watch his fights he rarely throws himself off balance in his prime. I don't think he's the greatest but definitely the blueprint for whoever beomes the greatest...

Anderson, Dom, TJ, MM, GSP, Thompson all have/had incredible footwork

I was always impressed with Cain's footwork considering he's a HW

Edit: I'm disgusted with myself for forgetting my boy Frankie E

Conor has the current best assuming he's not retired. I'm not a fan of the prick but you gotta recognize at some point.
conor-cross-into-lead-uppercut-cross.gif

So subtle, makes it look easy gliding into that lead uppercut-left cross. Anderson in his prime was the mma Roy Jones.

Also not a good GIF to use to show Conors footwork. Way to front foot heavy as he punches. Against a fighter with actual good footwork they would be using that to create an advantages angle on Conor

Conor has the best if you don't know anything about footwork. He moves forward and backward well, but his lateral movement is downright terrible most of the time.

Exactly, which is why he got tagged so much against Floyd, an actual footwork master

This is an excellent point that I hadn’t thought of. I guess I get so caught up in the fact that he is able to control distance so well when the fight is happening in a more traditional way, but as soon as things get hairy his footwork gets sloppy. He is only able to avoid punches when he is the one controlling the distance. Once you pressure him (as long as he doesn’t counter you dead) or land a punch or two on him his lateral movement is extremely lacking. Excellent observation thanks for pointing that out

Last edited:

Yup. Prime Machida could walk opponents into his strikes with timing and footwork. Wonderboy has to be up there as well, great in and out movement although he does get caught quite a bit.

Exactly, which is why he got tagged so much against Floyd, an actual footwork master

Floyd is a footwork master, but he didn't really show it or need to use it against Conor. Floyd had zero respect for Conor's Boxing abilities and kinda just walked in a straight line taking advantage of Conor's inability to move laterally

Before even opening thread I had a feeling you would say dom.

This is an excellent point that I hadn’t thought of. I guess I get so caught up in the fact that he is able to control distance so well when the fight is happening in a more traditional way, but as soon as things get hairy his footwork gets sloppy. He is only able to avoid punches when he is the one controlling the distance. Once you pressure him (as long as he doesn’t counter you dead) or land a punch or too on him his lateral movement is extremely lacking. Excellent observation thanks for pointing that out

Exactly. Which is why we saw him "running" VS Nate when he was pressured. Nate is not exactly a difficult guy to pivot around when he gets aggressive

exactly - he does one thing good - sliding back and countering with that left.

He follows guys in straight lines (rarely cuts the ring off), resorts to turning his back and running when the going gets tough.

If he had good footwork he would have been a small threat to floyd but his actual footwork and boxing skills were not there and everyone saw that in the floyd fight. He had no mastery of basics.

What exactly is "elite footwork." What is the point of footwork? To have your feet (which act as springs) underneath you to absorb force. So the person with the best footwork isn't the flashiest or the sloppiest. It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with how often a fighter has his feet underneath him and how often he throws himself off balance.

Stipe is a good example of a high level fighter who continually throws himself off balance when throwing right straights. I personally think the best footwork in MMA belongs to Fedor. Watch his fights he rarely throws himself off balance in his prime. I don't think he's the greatest but definitely the blueprint for whoever beomes the greatest...
I understand. Just because I mentioned Cruz being flashy doesn’t mean that’s the entire reason I think he has excellent footwork. He is able to strike and avoid being hit because of his footwork, but because of what you mentioned about Stipe’s footwork is the exact reason Dom doesn’t have great punching power - his feet are never set or underneath him. His style has allowed him, for the most part, to out point his opponents because of his ability to land (albeit weakly many times) without being hit back

it doesn't necessarily matter whether someones footwork is ugly or pretty... as long as it's effective. I've always thought Dom had a very aesthetically pleasing style (other than his lack of punching power haha), who do you think has elite footwork? Since you think Dom's style is ugly I'm curious who you enjoy?
You’re right about that part about footwork not having to be pretty to be effective. I recognize it is effective for Dom, but for me it isn’t aesthetically pleasing...I think he wastes movement, looks silly with some of his constant switch stancing, plus the fact that he has a long trunk and droopy shoulders kinda reminds me of a weasel or a Ferrit.

Some fighters footwork that I like would be Yoel Romero’s, Israel Adesanya’s and despite being similar to Dom’s, TJ dillashaw’s is nice too because it conduces to more tko’s and ko’s, and his hands aren’t that pillow fisted either.

he rarely throws himself off balance in his prime

Not even a little true. Fedor always threw himself off balance when he threw the right. He would just hide it by clinching up after. GSP is by far the best at always keeping himself on balance

Floyd is a footwork master, but he didn't really show it or need to use it against Conor. Floyd had zero respect for Conor's Boxing abilities and kinda just walked in a straight line taking advantage of Conor's inability to move laterally

I would argue knowing when/if to use high level footwork against an opponent as displaying the skill but fair enough. I'm a grappler not a striker

Back