Best Footwork In MMA History

Conor has the current best assuming he's not retired. I'm not a fan of the prick but you gotta recognize at some point.
conor-cross-into-lead-uppercut-cross.gif

So subtle, makes it look easy gliding into that lead uppercut-left cross. Anderson in his prime was the mma Roy Jones.

Last edited:
Dom has a lot of volume in his footwork, but I think much of it is unnecessary and probably less effective than people think. His size does a lot of the work for him. He never has to get inside an opponent’s reach. I think Garbrandt’s footwork is better. It’s more subtle, but that’s because he actually knows how to box.
That is a very interesting point. I will say that I think Dom's foot speed combined with overall quickness and solid jab would allow him to get inside on opponents if he happened to be shorter. Agreed that Cody has outstanding footwork as well, it's just hard to compare because of the totally different styles they come with.

Aleksander's control of distance in the first round of the Barnett fight was a masterclass

I remember people talking about Cruz's herky jerky footwork back in 2009-2010. At that time footwork was rarely brought up and Cruz was definitely a one of a kind fighter and that is what drew me in to appreciate his fights.

That is a very interesting point. I will say that I think Dom's foot speed combined with overall quickness and solid jab would allow him to get inside on opponents if he happened to be shorter. Agreed that Cody has outstanding footwork as well, it's just hard to compare because of the totally different styles they come with.

I don’t think he would be that successful and I think that in the back of his mind he knows that. That’s why he will never go up a weight class. And if he did, he would only fight another Manley like Chad Mendes.

Yeah for pure footwork I have to go with Dom Cruz and Frank Edgar, they are the ones that stick out in my mind for having the most significant and most consistent footwork in MMA. If I'm Dom Cruz I'm working on my power striking trying to develop better techniques for more torque and leverage on strikes, improving that to go with his footwork is the only way I see him beating TJ or Cody in rematches.

Conor has the current best assuming he's not retired. I'm not a fan of the prick but you gotta recognize at some point.
conor-cross-into-lead-uppercut-cross.gif

So subtle, makes it look easy gliding into that lead uppercut-left cross. Anderson in his prime was the mma Roy Jones.
Yes and Weidman was AS's Antonio Tarver.
Roy Jones jr respects the hands of Forrest Griffin....Kenny Florian.

Dom does have a bit of wasted movement but the shape you have to be in to keep working angles and stances like that constantly is insane.

Yeah for pure footwork I have to go with Dom Cruz and Frank Edgar, they are the ones that stick out in my mind for having the most significant and most consistent footwork in MMA. If I'm Dom Cruz I'm working on my power striking trying to develop better techniques for more torque and leverage on strikes, improving that to go with his footwork is the only way I see him beating TJ or Cody in rematches.
Agreed. You have to wonder if Cruz would have some KO power if he stayed back on his heels just a little bit and didn’t come lurching forward all the time. He’s such a good athlete I think he could be a slugger if he concentrated on it

Conor is good at just stepping out of his opponents range then coming back with that straight left.
He´s so good at stepping out of his opponents range that some lousy haters call it 'ducking'...

lolol.png

Cruz is good but I think most people should be able to see that it is mostly theatrics. but it is effective so it is okey but Dom is a showboater.
I think guys with the best footwork are those who keep it basic, waste no energy and are the most effective. Like a rory McDonald's or mousasi; gsp ofcourse.

For me it clearly has to be Dom Cruz... I love his unorthodox style and all his success is based off of his ridiculous footwork. Who else is a great technical athlete, specific to footwork?
MVP.

Cody
TJ
Dom

Any combination of these guys fighting and you're pretty much getting the best "MMA footwork" in the game.

MVP has some impressive footwork.

This guy's footwork is legendary. He moves like a BW.
k8HOFzJ.gif

I'll second this.

I'm no footwork expert but I don't get the hype. He's just awkward.
He is very awkward but he is also a top level athlete so he is able to use his “awkwardness” to his advantage and keep his opponents guessing. At least that’s what I take out of it haha - I can totally see you and other opinions that his style is ugly and unnecessary

Back