Best Footwork In MMA History

No, it really isn’t. Just because they move a lot and switch stances doesn’t mean one copied the other. I guess Dom just copied Willie Pep, he’s so unoriginal. Fuck off. :rolleyes:

Hahahaha. You doubled down on your ignorance there

Its pretty well known that TJ developed that style to help Faber prepare for Cruz. Look it up.

I'd agree with the people mentioning Machida as one of the best, just because extremely high level footwork and distance control is so essential to Machida's style. Even now, with his reflexes and timing declining in middle age, the movement is still his best remaining tool.

Dom has nice footwork, only when he is not striking. His footwork is horrible whenever he throws punches and even kicks. Dillashaw has combined this outside footwork and actually knows how to strike.

gustafson stands out to me as a bigger guy

dom has a couple GIFs of his footwork etc, so he'll get the most votes

Nobody. It's all varying degrees of bad.

Not even a little true. Fedor always threw himself off balance when he threw the right. He would just hide it by clinching up after. GSP is by far the best at always keeping himself on balance

It's actually a lot of true. Fedor didn't throw himself off balance, it just looks like it to the casual MMA fan. If you look at his sequence of actions, he's really a true mixed martial artist. I'll talk about the exact combo you bring up.

Fedor would throw his lefts to find range then throw a hard right straight while propelling his whole body forward leaving him out of stance. While most would agree being out of stance like this is horrible, Fedor made it work by IMMEDIATELY trying to hip/shoulder bump his opponent off balance, and then clinching up for a takedown. So if the first punch misses he can still land the second. If the second misses, he's in range to be punched so be tries to bump them off balance. If the bump doesnt work, he clinches. It's called a win-win-win situation...

Jab/Left hook, Right straight, Bump/Hit, Clinch/Takedown = separate moves/styles combined into one flowing movement

People used to praise Travis Browne footwork just because he moved around a lot for a big guy

Anywone who thinks Cruz is just "spazzing out with no gameplan" dont know wtf they're talking about. Biggest criticism of him really is too many wide open looping punches

Conor is good at just stepping out of his opponents range then coming back with that straight left.
I can't decide if that chop is the worst oversell ever or the best sell ever.

For me, its GSP. In his prime he had a striking defense rate of like 78%. Dude was untouchable, and it wasn't because he was blocking shots. He was always half an inch away from whatever was supposed to hit him.

Dom's footwork is overrated because it's flashy and weird looking.

Agree.

I’ve seen Dom use his fancy footwork to walk right into his opponent’s punches so many times.
It’s more random and less calculated than some people want to admit.

TJ for men and Rose for women and Rose has better footwork than majority of the guys. No I’m not a WMMA fan or apologist.

Probably Anderson Silva, Dominick Cruz, TJ Dillshaw, Conor McGregor, Frankie Edgar...

I don't think GSP's striking defenses was because of his footwork, but more because he was the master of timing and he knows how to keep the perfect distance with his opponent. He has the biggest fighting IQ ever, but his footwork, while very good, was not as great as the guys named above.

I think frankie has the most overrated footwork. Sure, he moves around a lot. But it's so inaccurate so messy.
I see guys on this forum saying Dom's footwork is messy, but at least he uses footwork feints and shifts. I think conor, jose, and machida have some of the most accurate and footwork with precision and finesse. Anderson silva had great footwork also. In an underrated moment in him versus Patrick cote he used the hagler turn. I also love dj for the amount of underutilized footwork tactics he uses

For me it clearly has to be Dom Cruz... I love his unorthodox style and all his success is based off of his ridiculous footwork. Who else is a great technical athlete, specific to footwork?

Can't be mad at that. All of his snake-like fuckery aside, TJ has some beautiful footwork. Also Rose for me.

Back