Ben Henderson pissed at UFC's offer to Alvarez

See Dana wants to get another win over Bellator. He gets Alvarez and either
A. He puts butts in the seat with some amazing performances
B. He flops like thrice and gets sent back to the other league and loses his value

so if he loses 1 fight you really believe he'd take a 10/10 contract? Right I'm sure that's what will happen.

10/10? Nobody said that.

But he's never going to get the 400/400 you would think a champ of an entire division would get, and even that is low, but he won't get close. Especially if he loses a fight.

they offered him the contract and what he was worth at the time im sure when he gets his next contract it'll be more for sure. Also he says 39k but lets not forget his bonuses if he was so mad he should have asked for more i'd just be happy and patient if i were him

Because your Office and stupid cubicle are comparable to THE CAGE...

Benson's next fight could be his last. His next fight he could lose and his bargaining power is greatly decreased. Lose his next fight and there would be rumblings about over-rated and will he get cut. He is the CHAMPION he should have been re-negotiated as the defending champion.

lol that is the sound of the point going right over your head.

I think Bendo should strike the best deal he can. I also think a champion should get a new contract right away or at least after one successful defense.

None of that changes my view that Bendo then should be the happiest guy when the UFC pays someone above what Bendo just got himself as a contract.

If today Bendo negotiates X as his best pay and tomorrow they pay someone 2X Bendo has an instant case to push for a raise if he is better then that guy. At a minimum he knows how much higher he can easily go his next contract. If everyone makes less then Bendo he has very little case to push for an instant raise.

If Anderson Silva and GSP found out tomorrow a signed fighter was getting $1M guaranteed and the same PPV share they both get, then that should get them very excited. It means a big raise will be coming if they both keep winning.

Only pettiness makes you angry at the guy who got more and makes you want to keep him down rather then using it to lift yourself even higher.

I remember the last time a UFC champ got pissed because the UFC was giving new comers from another organization more money than he made...

We were all on his side for very obvious reasons.

THEN?

Dana and his propaganda team got everyone to change their minds with a few waves of his magic wand and turned half of the MMA community against him.

It was then I realized the true power of the UFC's marketing. If Henderson doesn't keep quiet? He WILL get much of the same.

they offered him the contract and what he was worth at the time im sure when he gets his next contract it'll be more for sure. Also he says 39k but lets not forget his bonuses if he was so mad he should have asked for more i'd just be happy and patient if i were him

OK Dana....

I'm sure if he was getting these epic "back room bonuses" I hear everyone talk about, I'm sure he would have had the common sense to not open his mouth in public.

Once the UFC owns you, they can pay what they want. If the UFC had to steal Bendo from an org it did not own, he would have made more. A little competition is good for the sport. The UFC is paying for the right to screw Bellator as well as for the fighter.

Well, this answers my question, which was "Is the Alvarez offer better than Bendo's contract?"

Ordinarily, a sports org would rework the champ's contract when someone else is brought in for more dough. Bendon has earned the right to renegotiate.

If Bendo stil holds that belt come renegotiation time, he'll have the upper hand and he'll make plenty. I like Bendo, but he can put himself in a better position for negotiation if makes more of an effort to finish fights.

Kind of unfair though isn't it.

Indeed.

However, I can't help but feel like getting Eddie isn't as much about him being worth it as much as it is about feeding Dana's ego.

I really hope this gets some media reaction or something as it's kind of sad that the champ is making less than a potential newcomer, but at least he had the balls to speak out about it. Does anybody even know if Ben gets PPV bonuses? Might be why he's so mad if he doesn't. Whether or not Dana and the UFC do anything other than get mad that Ben took to Twitter to vent remains to be seen but in the long run this could be good for Ben as he can renegotiate better later

Alarez would be a huge draw while Benson is still on his WEC contract. If Benson was negotiating a new contract now he'd get more money than Alvarez would in the current offer from the UFC.

Ben is butthurt. He'll get a better contract one the old gets used up.

Alvarez is a hot commodity and finishes fights. Bendo is on a pre champ pay scale, definitely gets more than 39/39 after all is said and done, and should be thanking his lucky stars he's still the champ after the second Edgar fight.

where did I ever say it did? There have been multiple fighters who are on the lower end of the pay structure also make mention of these bonuses, Jared Papazian, Sean McCorkle, Ian McCall, Mike Easton, and Fabio Maldonado have also came out and say they have received anywhere from double to 5 times their fight payout in backstage bonuses.

And dont forget Shogun after the first Machida fight.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=210047

Back