Ben Henderson pissed at UFC's offer to Alvarez

women's mma is still very much considered a "gimmick" by the uneducated masses, women don't have drawing power in combat sports, if ben can continue to win then he will bring in more fans

womens mma have drawn good numbers EVERY time they've been given the opportunity.

You should go read page 6, Ben isnt as popular as someone like Hendo.

As for Eddie Alvarez' drawing power?

His last fight drew 175k. Ronda's was 529k and if you include sunday's replay it was 900k

His fight before that drew 109k

So, yeah...

[QUOTE="Rush";78169099]I should just go ahead and delete my account now. I think the buys will be good. RR is in a lose/lose position as far as opinions go on here. If it sells well the doubters will say its because of Hendo/Machida. If it sells poorly the same people will say its because of RR/Carmouche.[/QUOTE]

I think you're accurate to some degree that some people will engage in that sort of faulty and insincere reasoning; however, some people won't be doing that.

Dana White and the UFC are heavily promoting women's mma. Moreover, they've chosen Rousey to be the face of women's mma. Thus, they will do whatever in terms of hype, promotion, plans for fight cards, and so on in order to make Rousey and women's mma seemingly popular, while they also attempt to actually popularize it.

Henderson needs to calm down and think for a moment. The Alvarez offer has set a negotiating baseline that he can argue that he needs to significantly surpass.

[QUOTE="Rush";78169099]I should just go ahead and delete my account now. I think the buys will be good. RR is in a lose/lose position as far as opinions go on here. If it sells well the doubters will say its because of Hendo/Machida. If it sells poorly the same people will say its because of RR/Carmouche.[/QUOTE]

it's sherdog 90% of the posters on here have no idea what they are talking about. Neither Machida or Hendo ever had much success drawing as headliners(besides when Machida had the title). Anyone who thinks they would pull a big number in ppv buys or on network tv has lost it. Shit Hendo/Shogun which featured a stacked card did 280,000 buys and Machida last fight was on a stacked Fox card that did very mediocre ratings.

I'm not sure Rousey will draw a big number but if she does only the WMMA/lighter weight class/rednecks will give the credit to Machida/hendo.

Henderson needs to renegotiate and should be happy Alvarez is driving the price up.

Alvarez has two companies bidding for his talent.

Benson will end up with much more money once that contract is up and he can renegotiate.

hes recently boosted his value a lot and i bet his next contract will be much bigger

Bendo needs to be compensated. In fact I see so many other fighters making more than others who deserve the money more.

where did I ever say it did? There have been multiple fighters who are on the lower end of the pay structure also make mention of these bonuses, Jared Papazian, Sean McCorkle, Ian McCall, Mike Easton, and Fabio Maldonado have also came out and say they have received anywhere from double to 5 times their fight payout in backstage bonuses.

notice they all speak well of the ufc. there is no one who is attaching their name to a criticism of the ufc because of the low pay. we only hear about the people who benefit from these locker room bonuses because these people are in a position to do so. we will never hear of a fighter who is being paid poorly openly complaining because that person cannot afford (literally and figuratively) to do so.

hes recently boosted his value a lot and i bet his next contract will be much bigger

The thing is, if his current contract isn't up for another 4 or 5 fights, it's doubtful he's going to win all of those. This is MMA and it's rare for a champ to defend the title more than a few times.

Like all fighters, an 8 fight contract is long and when it's up, you're going to be reminded you didn't win all 8 fights and you will take whatever pay is offered to you.

Randy Couture made between 700-800k when he was the hw champ. Fabio Maldonado said he got paid more for losing his fight with Glover than he would of if he got his show/win bonus, Jon Jones says he makes millions per fight yet only has 400k listed, Anderson Silva reportedly made 7 million for his fight Sonnen and Sean McCorkle said he made 3 times his show/win for his fight with Struve.

There have been plenty of fighters who have commented on it and backed up the back room bonus pay.

I wasn't denying their existence. There's been enough cases by now of fighters saying they got something extra to leave little doubt as to there existence, I was just saying McCall was the only fighter I knew off the top of my head who'd come out with exact figures of what they gave him. I'd heard the Maldonaldo one and obviously GSP/Silva/Jones, just never a fighter come out and say they gave him a backroom bonus of 25k immediately after the fight, then he got another 46k from them as well, so he made almost 10x his reported amount

a0ee4_ORIG-fc85535_oh_he_mad.jpg

Haha

No need to apologize, although it's respectable of you to do so. Yeah. It's difficult to determine how popular it is. Sherdog is only a sample of the mma community, but it's a large sample. I'm unsure if what you have posted are facts that confirm the degree of popularity of women's mma. You seem to be disregarding or overlooking some other factors for the numbers you've mentioned.

Yeah, sherdog is definitely only a small % of the mma community. I think lots think its the be all and end all of the mma world, when infact its far from it.

I think you're accurate to some degree that some people will engage in that sort of faulty and insincere reasoning; however, some people won't be doing that.

Dana White and the UFC are heavily promoting women's mma. Moreover, they've chosen Rousey to be the face of women's mma. Thus, they will do whatever in terms of hype, promotion, plans for fight cards, and so on in order to make Rousey and women's mma seemingly popular, while they also attempt to actually popularize it.

I wouldnt say they chose her to be the face of womens, she done that herself with all the self promotion leading up the the Tate fight, but yes, its going to take it to another level now shes go the UFC stamp on her. Ronda is going to be huge for the development of womens mma - she has said herself that if its wasnt for Gina she wouldnt have moved into MMA. Ronda is going to do the same for a lot of other women just on a larger scale as its in the UFC.

it's sherdog 90% of the posters on here have no idea what they are talking about. Neither Machida or Hendo ever had much success drawing as headliners(besides when Machida had the title). Anyone who thinks they would pull a big number in ppv buys or on network tv has lost it. Shit Hendo/Shogun which featured a stacked card did 280,000 buys and Machida last fight was on a stacked Fox card that did very mediocre ratings.

I'm not sure Rousey will draw a big number but if she does only the WMMA/lighter weight class/rednecks will give the credit to Machida/hendo.

Yeah, if you were to ask the forum what they thought Hendo/Shogun buys were id bet most would say 500/600k

The thing is, if his current contract isn't up for another 4 or 5 fights, it's doubtful he's going to win all of those. This is MMA and it's rare for a champ to defend the title more than a few times.

Like all fighters, an 8 fight contract is long and when it's up, you're going to be reminded you didn't win all 8 fights and you will take whatever pay is offered to you.

so if he loses 1 fight you really believe he'd take a 10/10 contract? Right I'm sure that's what will happen.

Holy shit! That does seem a bit unfair. Oh we'll good or Alverez.

Ya it's good to be Alvarez, shitty for Ben at the moment but like others have said when his contract comes up he'll have ammo to argue for more money being the champ + others being offered more

that what happens when you go straight to the UFC. they give you chump change with a 20 year contract. If any future beast prospects want to make real money , sign to bellater or equivalent and whoop them all for 2-3 years. Then say you want to go to the UFC!

according to people on here, the secret locker room bonuses should turn this into a non issue. however, bendo is complaining which provides some evidence that the locker room bonuses aren't as lucrative as advertised by some posters. it's all about the base pay....fighters shouldn't have to depend on the kindness and whims of dana white

Exactly, it's a fucking unethical power tool that Dana & the Fertitas has.

i would be mad too - he is the LW champ and deserves more money than Eddie imo, Ed v Ben is a matchup im waiting for!! then throw in gilbert...wow what a stacked division

Back