Ben Askren.... what a wasted career

He's having the most lucrative career possible. Taking no damage, getting paid six figures, traveling the world, stating in good health. I get it, and I don't blame him at all.

But at some point, I wanna see how good this guy really is. It's disappointing as a fan watching someone as good as he is fight someone that literally covers up as soon as he gets taken down, no attempt to scramble back up what So ever.

I get he hates Dana, but go atleast go back to Bellator. Their WW division is pretty legit these days. His career has been a real disappointment to say the least.

UFC is no longer a legitimate measuring stick. It's all about revenue, ppv sales and freak show title shots

considering he's financially stable and has taken no damage in his career, i'd say it's been pretty good.

As an Askren fan, i'm disappointed he hasn't fought better guys and embarrassed them, but Bellator doesn't want him ripping their new division apart and Dana White blatantly wants nothing to do with him because he won't be a company man, he'll make money, stink out the division and then leave.

He has reached the height of his career potential IMO. His skillset is very limited. At least he managed to find a place to fight professionally that pays him well. There are much better fighters than him getting paid much less. So fair fucks to him I say.

I have to disagree, I don't think Askren is unbeatable, or that he generally tests himself in matchmaking. Still he could beat many fighters in the UFC. If he was in the UFC he would be a title contender. His wrestling base is almost second to none.

Kadestam isn't a can, he earned the title shot fair and square by knocking Luis Sapo Santos out cold, who is a very dangerous fighter.

Albeit that was a come from behind victory after getting dominated, it doesn't matter because it's a clean KO win.

It's not that Askren fights cans per se, he does sometimes, and the other guys he fights are a horrible style matchup .... for them. Askren doesn't fight guys he can't fairly easily dominate with wrestling. The closest fight to mind was a guy who kept getting up from the takedowns, and was owning Askren in the stand up. Still Askren had like 10 + takedowns. He could do that in the UFC, but even slightly weaker wrestlers who can also strike might KO him at some point.

Last edited:
Askren set his own time limit on his career and already extended it past what he wanted originally.

Plain and simple if he wanted to continue fighting he would but he's done.

Bellator wouldn't pay him what One is and woodley is the champ in the ufc .

Again if anyones to blame for him not being in the Ufc its the baldfather......

Wonder if 1C will let him take 1 offs? Askren v Koreshkov 2 in Rizin (if 1C and Bellator are down) anybody?

Wonder if 1C will let him take 1 offs? Askren v Koreshkov 2 in Rizin (if 1C and Bellator are down) anybody?
ONE aren't cooperating with Rizin (yet), the exception being Aoki who's had a non-exclusive contract with ONE from the start.

If he does decide that he wants another fight in the UFC, what do you think of him vs the winner of Condit and Mickey Gall?

Ben Askren's career was filled fighting zero opponents who were grapplers and zero opponents who had any sort of takedown defense until he fought Luis Santos. Once Askren began fighting opponents who had zero fear of his grappling because they had takedown defense he resorted to a totally obvious eye poking of Luis Santos and he got finished emphatically twice in the UFC.

Back