Ben Askren.... what a wasted career

Kadestam isn't a can, he earned the title shot fair and square by knocking Luis Sapo Santos out cold, who is a very dangerous fighter.

Albeit that was a come from behind victory after getting dominated, it doesn't matter because it's a clean KO win.
For someone people like to pretend is the greatest, Kadestam is indeed a can.

I think it really reveals something about people who criticize Askren's career when a PXC champion [he knocked out Glenn Sparv-- the CAGE champion who probably would've gotten a ticket to the UFC had he won-- in 11 seconds, which's very impressive] and WBC Muay Thai world champion who was just coming off a knockout over a 63-9 fighter (who had a reputation for "destroying Askren and would've finished him without the eyepoke" among the Askren detractors) is a "can".
"Can" is like the MMA world version of "racist". All you have to say is someone's a can, even when there's no evidence, and everyone jumps on it, and you can't try to correct these people because they don't want to listen to anything else, and YOU'RE the unreasonable one for just trying to say someone's not a can because their record says otherwise.
Since when does someone not having a Wikipedia page mean they're a can? That's like saying someone's a can because their Wikipedia page is brief. Hiromasa Ogikubo doesn't have a Wikipedia page, and he got to the finals of the Ultimate Fighter title tournament (and a lot of people feel he deserved the decision more than Elliot), he's a top-15/20 flyweight, he was, like, the most beloved guy in the season, beat a guy that's currently in the UFC and has a Wikipedia page (and was the top seed in the tournament) en route to the finals, and not only is he a Shooto world champion who's gonna defend his title next month against an explosive, former-top-5 strawweight who won last year's Shooto Infiniti League tournament and is on an impressive 6-fight winning streak (who also doesn't have a Wikipedia page), but he's one of the few people to hold the distinction of being a two-divisional Shooto champion.
It's like nobody knows what a can is, and they use their ignorance of the Southeast-Asian MMA scene as proof of their expertise. Which doesn't make sense. How does not knowing something make you knowledgeable?

It's also interesting because this fight is exactly how fights with Daley or Page would've turned out (and you really don't know what you're talking about if you think differently or that either of them brought something to the table that Kadestam didn't), but those would've been good, impressive victories to people and those are the fights they want to see. I don't think Daley landed single strike on Rory before he got taken down, and Rory's nowhere near the wrassler that Askren is.

Never liked Askren, and probably never will, but I WOULD like to see him in the UFC. To me, he's proven that he's a legit WW, and I'd like to see him challenge the elite.

Hard to knock Ben for taking the deal they gave him.

But he does seem to be pushing these final fights with the way he is talking. He even beat around the bush recently of maybe having a way out in early 2018.

I'd like to at least see him finish out his career at the very least in Bellator and the UFC would be my preferred org to see him fight in. I doubt we'll see him fighting at 38. He has made it fairly clear that somewhere around 35 he'd probably hang it up.

Ben is a competitor at heart. He took time out of his mma career to do a folkstyle match against Jake Herbert while Herbert was still a full time wrestler...and Askren schooled the substantially bigger Herbert in front of his hometown fans.

No wat he ends his career with ONE.

I know a guy named Larry that also doesn't have a wikipedia page. What a loser.

The shame is absolutely on him, if he had kept his mouth closed and didn't had said a lot of shit about UFC and Dana he probably would be at UFC right now. Isn't just his style (Demian is at UFC, Colby and many others too), is his douche personality with that boring style.

This. And the bad timing - at the time he left Bellator, UFC was getting rid of the boring gatekeepers.

But I wouldn't call it a wasted career because from what I heard he's being paid very good in ONE FC and could possibly do it by the age of 50 with that level of competition.

I think he shouldn't have burned so many bridges. I think he could've been one of the top fighters in the UFC with his wrestling alone.

Oh well at least he's getting paid fighting lesser competition.

Makes good money

People talk about him moreso than other fighters outside of the UFC

Outside business (his wrestling academy) seems to be doing well.

Travels the world

Coaches in both the US and overseas

Has an apartment for him and his family paid for in Singapore (at least I read that during the start of his ONE FC career)

Not only gets fight purses, but a salary as well.

Hasn't been punched in the face in over a year.

Yup, what a wasted career.

That last thing seems to be a good deal in the punch business. :)

its ok bro, he can smoke his weed and chill in china

Crushing yet another can in the bushleages. Pathetic....

He has the talent, not to be the best WW in the UFC, but to be a top 10 most likely. And he is doing this utter garbage in Asia against no-named fighters.

Does anyone still give a shit about this guy?

Some fighters are accused of dodging the UFC. At least when Ben retires, he can honestly say the UFC dodged him.

Crushing yet another can in the bushleages. Pathetic....

He has the talent, not to be the best WW in the UFC, but to be a top 10 most likely. And he is doing this utter garbage in Asia against no-named fighters.

Does anyone still give a shit about this guy?

"Wresters need a lesson in submission and I'm just the one to teach them." - Frank Shamrock

So many clefts defending Askren, at the end of the day he talked so much shit about how he was the best WW in the world, and utterly refused to prove it against anyone. He has had an entire career fighting precisely none of the best in his weight division. For a club level fighter that would be acceptable but this is a really talented fighter who has inarguably wasted his career.

Talk as much as you want about how much money he has made and reach for other desperate excuses because you're one of those anti UFC bores, but no one will remember his career.

Ive saw this thread for sometime ago but never talked on it because i really thought it was stupid to say Askren had a wasted career... It all ended when he announced his last fight.
Well... what can we say? Askren had tough and fair competition at Bellator but then... His most challenge bout was against a journeyman where he was being dominated till the eye poke...
Anyway... TS was right. He foresaw it. If he retires after the Aoki bout(which he will probably win) his career will really be wasted.

Said it in another thread. Just a bunch of haters because Dana doesn't like the guy. Even if he won the UFC belt he would get treated like a cross between Mighty Mouse and T-Wood.

He missed out on nothing, MMA fans missed out on him.

Last edited:
He made money and didn't take much damage.

Dana didn't want him smothering his goldenboys.

Said it in another thread. Just a bunch of haters because Dana doesn't like the guy. Even if he won the UFC belt he would get treated like a cross between Mighty Mouse and T-Wood.

He missed out on nothing, MMA fans missed out on him.
Or Maybe People Don't Like Askrens "fighting" style ? Nobody even knows who Ben is or gives a shit LOL

Or Maybe People Don't Like Askrens "fighting" style ? Nobody even knows who Ben is or gives a shit LOL

Well he wouldn't change his style in the UFC so even if he wins he will still get treated poorly even if he becomes a champion. So he didnt miss out on much.

he beat Lima and Koreshekov. In fights that werent close, and look at where those guys are at now.

Back