Ben Askren thinks it's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
I love how beating Hieron is worse than getting KTFO by Serra.

Looks like GSP has done his homework on the ground.

Can't remember him being manhandled on the ground since Hugues submitted him.
We did not see his Ju-Jitsu but he has been training for a while with Roger Gracie and some big dudes here and there like Braulio Estima. I am sure he does not go there to shine their shoes. These are wizards on the ground so GSP must have stolen a few tricks over time.

I don't want him to hit the ground but if Johnny gets GSP down and falls asleep like he did when he got Condit down, GSP might have a little surprise for him.

I mis-read the title as "Ben Affleck doesn't think GSP has the best wrestling for MMA". At first I was thinking WFT makes Ben Affleck feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

When I realized it said Ben Askren I thought...WTF makes Ben Askren feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

Oh man. I laughed out loud to the point my wife looked at me like "what the hell?"

Good post but I seem to remember in the Kos rematch GSP pointedly not being able to take Kos down, and then resorting to jabbing him to death.

Not saying much really but I personally feel like Kos is his equal as a wrestler/take down artist.

Kos couldnt take Alves down though. GSP's striking makes him a better take down artist in mma.

Askren doesn't diserve to be anywhere close to GSP. Sure its easy to shine in Bellator.
People already seem to have forgotten about Hector Lombard. This guy was a killer who hadn't lost in decades and was just blasting every single challenger.
As soon as he entered the UFC he got owned by Boetsch who wasn't even top5.
Askren will enter the UFC and get knocked out by any of the current top5, wether its Condit, Diaz, Hendrix, Koscheck, and likely submited by Maia or Shields.

Askren doesn't diserve to be anywhere close to GSP. Sure its easy to shine in Bellator.
People already seem to have forgotten about Hector Lombard. This guy was a killer who hadn't lost in decades and was just blasting every single challenger.
As soon as he entered the UFC he got owned by Boetsch who wasn't even top5.
Askren will enter the UFC and get knocked out by any of the current top5, wether its Condit, Diaz, Hendrix, Koscheck, and likely submited by Maia or Shields.

Decades? I also thought he beat Boetsch, and so did many others, and he was injured.

Would love to see GSP dominate Askren, no problem. In a pure grappling match, yeah I would lean Askren. MMA? GSP is a master at shoot boxing.

Askren
Is very smart. Simple way to throw his hat in the ring and plant a seed. I think Askren's funk gives GSP some trouble.

I do not like Askren at all, and think he has 0 chance at taking on GSP. It will be the same as bringing over an overhyped Hector Lombard from Bellator to UFC and saying he will smash people, look what happened.

The difference between the competition is night and day. I would like to see Askren get smashed by GSP to shut him up, but he has to win a fight or 2 in the UFC to even get there.

Last edited:
BEn is right..

GSP is not the best pure wrestler, thing is, he is an incredible grappler. He has the best Tds and TD, plus hes a very good bjj black belt, all that is what make him GSP.

Back