Ben Askren predicts a Montreal fight with GSP in late 2019

Lima fight was 6 years ago and Lima has improved and matured a lot. That is Askren's best win You could be right that Askren gets off a couch and blah blah blah but Mike Tyson could step in the Octagon tomorrow and KO everyone in MMA. Not likely and no evidence to support either. Askren has done nothing of note in MMA that makes him worthy of a fight with GSP. He did a great job making some good money but Bellator let him go even though he was their champion. They just let him walk. Why on earth does he get a GSP fight when he can't make anyone any money and he has no record to claim he is the best WW? MAYBE he is a great WW but he has never proven it against top competition.

i dont think you know much about mma, his wrestling and jiu jitsu is that high level that yes he can come into the ufc and fucking beat 95% of the welterweights with not much of a problem. He has been trying to fight in the UFC in the past, but that frigging idiot Dana thinks a former olympian needs to go get more experience .... what a joke that an undefeated former olympian ncaa div 1 champ needs to go get more experince . Ben Askren is 1 legit mixed martial artist, even if he's not everyones cup of tea fighting style wise. i personally love great grappling

Keep dreaming Ben. You had the chance to fight him, you wanted $$$$ instead of the toughest guys to test yourself against. Im thinkn by late 2019 Ben be broke, and is already trying to get something in the works.

this is simply not true, he wanted to fight in ufc, they offered him a contract and he had to go to wsof for one fight first, then they pulled the contract and he went out and had a sit down meeting with them, it is a personality conflict between dana and ben .

Askren should start by fighting someone in the top 30.

A fight between these two at this point does nothing for either.
Doesn’t prove anything one way or the other

i dont think you know much about mma, his wrestling and jiu jitsu is that high level that yes he can come into the ufc and fucking beat 95% of the welterweights with not much of a problem. He has been trying to fight in the UFC in the past, but that frigging idiot Dana thinks a former olympian needs to go get more experience .... what a joke that an undefeated former olympian ncaa div 1 champ needs to go get more experince . Ben Askren is 1 legit mixed martial artist, even if he's not everyones cup of tea fighting style wise. i personally love great grappling

That is certainly not my opinion and I don't think he he is a remotely well rounded martial artist. He has great wrestling, no striking, no boxing, no kickboxing and he is a wrestler with GnP and some sub skills. He has no bottom game Jui Jitsu. Having top control and a few chokes isn't a BJJ master. Most wrestler know chokes and use them illegally in wrestling. He hasn't fought anyone that was top level WW when he fought them. Lima is he best win and that was 6 years ago. He never came to the UFC but even Bellator let him walk.

That is certainly not my opinion and I don't think he he is a remotely well rounded martial artist. He has great wrestling, no striking, no boxing, no kickboxing and he is a wrestler with GnP and some sub skills. He has no bottom game Jui Jitsu. Having top control and a few chokes isn't a BJJ master. Most wrestler know chokes and use them illegally in wrestling. He hasn't fought anyone that was top level WW when he fought them. Lima is he best win and that was 6 years ago. He never came to the UFC but even Bellator let him walk.
jesus dude, this man beat the brakes off of koreshkov, a very good striker 248- 3 strikes . he dominates good strikers on the ground, and according to many he has very good jiu jitsu like most high level wrestlers when they FOCUS on jiu jitsu . Tyron Woodleys his main training partner, pretty sure they know where they stack up in the big picture. He absolutely wanted to fight in the UFC , that has been published enough times . He has not needed to show he has bottom game jiu jitsu ever, like never.... because his top game is that fucking good. haha, watch the JRE podcast, its an excellent interview.

WAR ASKREN!!!!!

Ben_askren.jpg

temp-320-31483945_medium.gif

SmartHeftyDunnart-size_restricted.gif

temp-320-23817866.gif

EZX8ua5.gif

Ben-Askren-CTT_4010-1200x800.jpg

This dude must have outrageous core strength.

I wanna see this guy fight again, I hope it happens.

this is simply not true, he wanted to fight in ufc, they offered him a contract and he had to go to wsof for one fight first, then they pulled the contract and he went out and had a sit down meeting with them, it is a personality conflict between dana and ben .

Is that you Ben? You could have signed. Your requested $$$$ was laughed at. That's the personality clash. Ben thinks he is GOD. Dana and the rest of the world knows he never would even be a gatekeeper in the UFC.

god its hard to explain this stuff, this was not big money . they give sage northcutt and others decent money, but not a frigging olympic level guy and your direct competitions champ. . You guys are all brain washed UFC shills if you think Ben Askren is a gatekeeper. Not 1 guy that has wrestled or grappled that i know of thinks Askren would be a gatekeeper. only sherdoggers would think this.

and hey cdn420 im a fellow canadian

jesus dude, this man beat the brakes off of koreshkov, a very good striker 248- 3 strikes . he dominates good strikers on the ground, and according to many he has very good jiu jitsu like most high level wrestlers when they FOCUS on jiu jitsu . Tyron Woodleys his main training partner, pretty sure they know where they stack up in the big picture. He absolutely wanted to fight in the UFC , that has been published enough times . He has not needed to show he has bottom game jiu jitsu ever, like never.... because his top game is that fucking good. haha, watch the JRE podcast, its an excellent interview.
He beat a very good striker 248-3? What does that tell you? Was that on the feet? Or was that a wrestler taking a kickboxer with no TTD or ability to get up to the ground and keeping him there? He has never fought someone with enough wrestling to force him to do something else where they are better. It isn't that he is that good its that he is so good at one thing that no one he has ever fought has an answer to. Royce looked like a killer because no one had enough BJJ to make him do anything else. Is Prime Royce Gracie a top WW? Yes in his era, all time not even remotely. Askren has never fought anyone with a wrestling base and had other skills. Whether he wanted to fight the best and didn't or chose not to is debatable however since the FACT is he never fought top competition he has no right to even talk about a fight with GSP. I weigh 212 lbs and am undefeated in MMA as a HW so should we discuss me vs Prime Fedor?

He beat a very good striker 248-3? What does that tell you? Was that on the feet? Or was that a wrestler taking a kickboxer with no TTD or ability to get up to the ground and keeping him there? He has never fought someone with enough wrestling to force him to do something else where they are better. It isn't that he is that good its that he is so good at one thing that no one he has ever fought has an answer to. Royce looked like a killer because no one had enough BJJ to make him do anything else. Is Prime Royce Gracie a top WW? Yes in his era, all time not even remotely. Askren has never fought anyone with a wrestling base and had other skills. Whether he wanted to fight the best and didn't or chose not to is debatable however since the FACT is he never fought top competition he has no right to even talk about a fight with GSP. I weigh 212 lbs and am undefeated in MMA as a HW so should we discuss me vs Prime Fedor?

holy shit, if you were undefeated and if you had olympic level wrestling and a 2 time ncaa div 1 all american then yes we should see you matchup with fedor. Christ , i find this ridicolous . He has the welterweight champ saying he is a great fighter, duke roufus and all them guys as well but NO, he's not allowed to fight in the ufc cause dana says he needs more experince. His fellow fighters think he's a beast ,(CORMIER) but not some 212 lb undefeated sherdogger. give me a fucking break, and koreshkov was smoking everyone til he met up with askren. i do not think askren is the best , but he is definately very very good

and 212lbs, cut 7 lbs and fight at lhw ? like seriously...

I'd pay to watch that. And I'm not even going to say it's an easy win for GSP.

Askren is a smart fighter who could clearly nullify takedowns. This would be a battle of wits.

I predict another screw job in Montreal

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/02/ben-askren-predicts-late-2019-showdown-with-georges-st-pierre-montreal

On his motivation:
“My main motivation is to prove I’m No. 1 in the world,” Askren recently told MMAjunkie Radio. “I think it will happen, at the Bell Centre (in Montreal). Me vs. ‘GSP,’ probably somewhere in late 2019. … I don’t need to make any more money from fighting, and there’s only one thing left to prove. I’ve been No. 1 for the past five years, and I’ve unfortunately never had the chance to prove that fight. It’s the one thing that interests me.”

Why he stopped pursuing UFC:
“(My first UFC negotiation) was so dirty, it left such a bad taste in my mouth,” Askren said. “I already didn’t want to talk to Dana. I don’t trust a damn word that comes out of his mouth. I don’t trust a word. It’s like, why did I never pursue that again? Well, it’s because the first time I got screwed over – it was just about as dirty a deal as anyone could give you. I don’t want to have that discussion again. I don’t trust them one bit.”

On his health:
“I’m 33, and I’ve taken very good care of my body,” Askren said. “I’ve never taken PEDs, so there’s no ill affects from that. I’ve never had a very major injury since college, and that was my neck, and it’s been over a decade, so I’m fine there. I’m very healthy. I’m planning on staying in good shape – not fighting shape. But I don’t see myself as being one of those guys that’s going to age very quickly.”

don't matter he's younger than gsp anyways, and the level of competition gsp fought while champ and what askren has faced is nowhere close, askren fought sh!tty fighters, nobody really that good...gsp doesn't need to face him to prove who's #1, there's a reason askren doesn't fight in the ufc and not fighting the best guys and why if we compare stats and opponents gsp wins all the time.

askren just looking for a money fight, calling out a guy who hadn't fought for over 4 years and came back to fight at mw, and is not the current ww champion and may not ever come back due to his colitus (which would be the best thing do for gsp to sustain his legacy and not come back and lose and ruin it).

if askren wants to prove he's the best, then he should be fighting tyron since he's the current ww champ, a gsp fight wouldn't prove anything because you wouldn't be getting a prime gsp, you take a 33 year old gsp against askren and askren stands no chance, it would be like gsp/kos 2 all over again.

not to mention gsp made it clear that if he fights now that its only against opponents who's "stock is high"....a huge draw, superfight, thats why he fought bisping....fighting askren is not a huge draw or superfight, and askren isn't considered high stock, its not money fight for gsp, nor is it worth his time to purse a fight with askren.

Last edited:
holy shit, if you were undefeated and if you had olympic level wrestling and a 2 time ncaa div 1 all american then yes we should see you matchup with fedor. Christ , i find this ridicolous . He has the welterweight champ saying he is a great fighter, duke roufus and all them guys as well but NO, he's not allowed to fight in the ufc cause dana says he needs more experince. His fellow fighters think he's a beast ,(CORMIER) but not some 212 lb undefeated sherdogger. give me a fucking break, and koreshkov was smoking everyone til he met up with askren. i do not think askren is the best , but he is definately very very good

and 212lbs, cut 7 lbs and fight at lhw ? like seriously...
You said something we can both agree on. Problem is ASKREN thinks he is the best. He has no accomplishments in MMA to justify saying that. Everyone said Joe Riggs was amazing and a real killer, best they had seen, real championship material. Only problem was that was in the gym and the minor leagues. In the big leagues Riggs was meh. Askren isn't the best he is very good as you said. Everyone in the UFC is very good. The ones who fight the best and dominate can claim to be the best. Askren has dominated no one of any note. Almost none of his competition even competed at the highest levels. Heiron was 0-2 in his first run and 0-2 in his 2nd run in the UFC, Nick Thompson was 1-1 in the UFC, Lyman Good is 1-1 in the UFC, Ryan Thomas was 0-2. He only fought 17 opponents since he fought Thomas 2x. Those are the best of his competition along with Lima and none were even remotely close to the top level of the UFC and Askren wants to claim he is worthy of a GOAT title fight with GSP. Sorry but he hasn't even proven to be top level. He fought lower level (2nd tier) competition and never even challenged someone at MW. Askren vs GSP would be over before it started and he has no place even asking for it. He never fought anyone. Blame DW if you want but other A holes fought in the UFC, if Askren really wanted to he could have but he didn't.

You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine but since we are discussing MMA not olympic wrestling Askren has no accomplishments to support yours and his lack of accomplishments and lack of attempts to fight anyone note worthy supports mine.

You said something we can both agree on. Problem is ASKREN thinks he is the best. He has no accomplishments in MMA to justify saying that. Everyone said Joe Riggs was amazing and a real killer, best they had seen, real championship material. Only problem was that was in the gym and the minor leagues. In the big leagues Riggs was meh. Askren isn't the best he is very good as you said. Everyone in the UFC is very good. The ones who fight the best and dominate can claim to be the best. Askren has dominated no one of any note. Almost none of his competition even competed at the highest levels. Heiron was 0-2 in his first run and 0-2 in his 2nd run in the UFC, Nick Thompson was 1-1 in the UFC, Lyman Good is 1-1 in the UFC, Ryan Thomas was 0-2. He only fought 17 opponents since he fought Thomas 2x. Those are the best of his competition along with Lima and none were even remotely close to the top level of the UFC and Askren wants to claim he is worthy of a GOAT title fight with GSP. Sorry but he hasn't even proven to be top level. He fought lower level (2nd tier) competition and never even challenged someone at MW. Askren vs GSP would be over before it started and he has no place even asking for it. He never fought anyone. Blame DW if you want but other A holes fought in the UFC, if Askren really wanted to he could have but he didn't.

You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine but since we are discussing MMA not olympic wrestling Askren has no accomplishments to support yours and his lack of accomplishments and lack of attempts to fight anyone note worthy supports mine.
ok, agree to disagee. you have valid points, i just beleive he would be just fine in the ufc. for the record, id pick gsp to beat him via jab and allaround skills. he would not wrestlefuck askren.

Back