Bay Area families making $117,000 a year are now qualified as Low Income

Surely there's a lot of middle space between "low income" and the evil top 1%. 120k is roughly what I make, and that's the top 1% of where I live, not the country's top 1%.

120K is fine for someone single.

A family of four it's not much.

I am so jealous of people who telecommute to that area. It irks me that my company has dozens of people telecommuting from 75+ miles away making metro area salaries.

I work in OKC . . . live about 15 miles north of my office. I would looooove to telecommute 3-4 days a week.

120K is fine for someone single.

A family of four it's not much.

Really depends on where you live too . . . that amount would be able to get stretched much farther in Oklahoma than California.

My dad's dead, didn't make much money and his dad was a janitor. You can look up incomes in the US, and the percentages are massively different base on where you live. I live in place where my income is very good, the same income would be poor in NYC.

It’s not the point. U are NOT rich based on that income anywhere in the US. Very good is not rich. That’s what we are talking about.

The thread is 117k for a family. Not a single person but a family of four. In the poorest area that is kinda comfortable and anywhere else it’s be uncomfortable to poor.

the twitter image is deceiving, no way someone making 117K a year is not living in a home like that. I have a buddy living in that area, a fellow software engineer, and he's living in a dinky apartment and is looking to relocate. I imagine a lot of folks in that area are underwater.

It’s not the point. U are NOT rich based on that income anywhere in the US. Very good is not rich. That’s what we are talking about.

The thread is 117k for a family. Not a single person but a family of four. In the poorest area that is kinda comfortable and anywhere else it’s be uncomfortable to poor.
It's not poor for anyone. If you have to make 117k to be not poor, something has gone awry.

It's not poor for anyone. If you have to make 117k to be not poor, something has gone awry.

117k in NYC is poor. I live near this area and make 140k by myself. I am comfortable. I am not rich. If a family was making 117k around here they are barely surviving. That’s a fact. Obviously one of the more extreme cases in terms of region but an big city would be expensive for a family of four making 117k total.

No, it's not. And we're talking about 117k/year. What's changed?

Uh.. yeah it is.

Adjusted for inflation 30K had more than twice the purchasing power in the 80s.

Nothing changed you brought up your anecdote and I'm just correcting your bad logic here.

117k in NYC is poor. I live near this area and make 140k by myself. I am comfortable. I am not rich. If a family was making 117k around here they are barely surviving. That’s a fact. Obviously one of the more extreme cases in terms of region but an big city would be expensive for a family of four making 117k total.
That depends on the burough. Manhattan is not the same as Queens. This was my whole point to begin with.

makes sense, the military BAH (which is based off average housing prices per zip codes, and constantly adjusted to reflect locality) for the SF region is 4247/month currently

Yes, that's 4000+ dollars

Conversely, the 'expensive' San Diego is only 2648 and Manhattan is 'only' 4148.

Where I live in SoCal, aka Hills Have Eyes cuts? a mere 908

SFC is patently absurd

That depends on the burough. Manhattan is not the same as Queens. This was my whole point to begin with.

you think a family of 4 can afford Queens (owning a home, utilities, pay taxes, maybe a car, day care (if children are small), food, clothing, and other expenses) on 117K comfortably???... the median home cost is 458k. The cost of living is a lot more than the national average and its right next to Manhattan. You think there's a shortage of people who want to live there? It's one of the most expensive areas to live in the US. This ain't your "Coming to America" Queens anymore son...

Yes, it is in manhattan, not in south dakota. What qualifies as "poor" seems to only apply to the most liberal cities.

you think a family of 4 can afford Queens (owning a home, utilities, pay taxes, maybe a car, day care (if children are small), food, clothing, and other expenses) on 117K comfortably???... the median home cost is 458k. The cost of living is a lot more than the national average and its right next to Manhattan. You think there's a shortage of people who want to live there? It's one of the most expensive areas to live in the US. This ain't your "Coming to America" Queens anymore son...
No, I think we're on the same page here. My sister has a family of 6 on like 80k household income. I guess you live on long island or CT, but this is not the national average.

State tax vs federal tax. Most of the actual services you get are local tax anyway.

This is not an answer. You pointed out that high-productivity areas have higher incomes and implied that that's a problem (it does cause some problems for some people). What's your preferred solution?

No educated person in America places 117K for a family of four in the "super rich" category. You're either joking or a moron. (I know which way I'm leaning.)

But still cool with taking $37,000 from them yeah?

Back