Bay Area families making $117,000 a year are now qualified as Low Income

My friend, that's kind of why federal taxation shouldn't guess at what qualifies as rich.

Please share with the class these federal taxation Who Is Rich guidelines you reference.

117K for a family of four doesn't even get you within striking distance of the 1%, much less the .01%

Sure you didn’t.
I only turned it down because the wife is pregnant and the pay is low. Normal rate for someone like me is 85-100 an hour, but I wanted the experience. After the kid is here I’m taking one of these gigs and looking at retiring in about 10 years. Probably go back to the icu or er after that to stay busy

Please share with the class these federal taxation Who Is Rich guidelines you reference.

117K for a family of four doesn't even get you within striking distance of the 1%, much less the .01%
250 is where the highest bracket is and the one people want to raise. That would be middle class there.

Surely there's a lot of middle space between "low income" and the evil top 1%. 120k is roughly what I make, and that's the top 1% of where I live, not the country's top 1%.

Lulz.

The different lifestyle between someone who makes a hundred grand in San Fran compared to a hundred grand here in Texas... it's night and day

Raleigh is the low cost beautiful version of places like SF and Silicon Valley. $117k goes a long way out here :D
We just need to block Amazon coming. Apple has already planned to start an east coast headquarters here.

I'm with you. Fuck Amazon. I don't want them here in Austin either.

Surely there's a lot of middle space between "low income" and the evil top 1%. 120k is roughly what I make, and that's the top 1% of where I live, not the country's top 1%.

There's no state with a top 1% threshold that low. Hawaii's (which is quite low) is $281K. The rather large mistake you made is telling.

Compared to FDR Bernie is a virtual Austrian School'er.

FDR proposed a 100 percent top tax rate, telling Congress in April 1942: “No American citizen ought to have a net income, after he has paid his taxes, of more than $25,000 a year.” (That would be about $350,000 in today’s dollars.)

Roosevelt's top rate ended up being 94%.

There's no state with a top 1% threshold that low. Hawaii's (which is quite low) is $281K. The rather large mistake you made is telling.
I'm talking about my county, not the entire state. The top 1% varies a shocking amount throughout the country. I made about the same and was poor in Brooklyn.

Compared to FDR Bernie is a virtual Austrian School'er.

FDR proposed a 100 percent top tax rate, telling Congress in April 1942: “No American citizen ought to have a net income, after he has paid his taxes, of more than $25,000 a year.” (That would be about $350,000 in today’s dollars.)

Roosevelt's top rate ended up being 94%.
<{vega}>

Is FDR running for office?

nm -- debate isnt really relevant to the thread topic

Last edited:
This isn't surprising. I could see how someone from an insolvent red state with no real economy would be surprised at seeing this though. You see, in Cali, we have money, a lot of it, and therefore our incomes and cost of living are higher, since we are doing so much better financially than insolvent red states who appear to have a Walmart based economy.

It's cure how you poor conservative folks see 117,000 dollars as a lot of money, I guess its all about perspective.

I should have realized that historical perspective is a meaningless concept to one such as yourself.
Yeah, cause I'm a moron, as is everyone on the right. You might want to look into who actually paid that amount, cause it was pretty near nobody.

Do u have a wife and 2 kids??? Does your wife work? If not u are not rich (unless mommy n daddy are and by default u are rich). If she does work your family income is much higher and not just 120k. Regardless of where u live in the US u wouldn’t be remotely close to being considered rich based on your salary. Comfortable to uncomfortable would be a better definition depending on where u live..

Do u have a wife and 2 kids??? Does your wife work? If not u are not rich (unless mommy n daddy are and by default u are rich). If she does work your family income is much higher and not just 120k. Regardless of where u live in the US u wouldn’t be remotely close to being considered rich based on your salary. Comfortable to uncomfortable would be a better definition depending on where u live..
My dad's dead, didn't make much money and his dad was a janitor. You can look up incomes in the US, and the percentages are massively different base on where you live. I live in place where my income is very good, the same income would be poor in NYC.

Yeah, cause I'm a moron, as is everyone on the right. You might want to look into who actually paid that amount, cause it was pretty near nobody.

Right, the function was more of a soft cap on income than a revenue-generator.

Back