Attempted Suicide Last Week And Just Got Home From A Psychiatric Hold

Welcome back to the shitty life my friend.
You will have to suffer more.

btw.. how does it feel to be there for a while? Is it any better?

Sorry, didn't see this question. I try to respond to everything if I can.

I will say that the psychiatric hold did not feel good. I guess I am wired to take involuntary confinement really poorly. One of the first thoughts I had as a child was I could never handle prison and would kill myself. It probably fuels my strong dislike of the military's method for training, as well. I have no idea how people live in captivity.

I actually stopped seeing a therapist for many months because of the psychiatric hold and forced daily outpatient treatment for 2 weeks afterwards. I was spooked that medical professionals actually have the legal right to have you involuntarily committed if they think you're a threat to yourself. It made me feel like I had to walk on eggshells when talking to one. Only now that I am in a better place mentally do I understand why that is.

You can walk away. I have abandoned friends simply because I have nothing in common with them any more. But I am not their judge.

You can bear with them if you have the will to do that. But you can't bear with them and continue to judge them. That's toxic and will create a toxic relationship.

You have many choices but judging them is not one of them. I told you before judgment doesn't go out unless it first goes in. You are insecure and need to learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

I had someone tell me it's ok to be selfish if you need to work on you. If you have a broken arm you're not selfish if you put it in a cast! That arm needs rest and healing.

Whatever you need for yourself right now take it. But you can't judge others. Take the time you need but keep it all inward. You are not justified putting it back outward. That's your way of feeling superior over others but that path is riddled with condemnation and regret.

Working on you means working on you not judging others. Do you honestly want to better yourself or via insecurity do you want to judge others for a false sense of superiority over them?

I'm going to really try to take this advice. It just sucks that judging is so natural and habitual to me. I think I get it from my father. He will judge people for the most random shit, like drivers not signaling or an athlete not coming through. It's no way to live, because you're always going to find the negatives in shit and take the glass is half empty perspective. I don't know if it's my way to feel superior to others, but it's a way to bring people down to my level, so to speak.

LIFE IS YOUR RULES AND IF ANYBODY DISAGREES W/IT, FUCK THEM. LIVE LIFE W/THIS MENTALITY AND YOU WONT THINK OF SUICIDE!!

I just want to kind of make this thread my thought journal. Nobody may read it, although maybe some of you will give me helpful pointers or some insight.

I was really trying to think hard this morning on why my Fort Leonard Wood experience almost 11 years ago has dominated my thoughts for almost 3 years, yet was pretty much under wraps for the first 8 years. My theories: 1. When I went to college and tutored, I was in the same building as ROTC and it bothered me deeply to see the uniforms and glorification of Army officers in the advertising I passed 2. I looked up First Sergeant Weatherholt's name. I guess I had came up with a narrative in my head that he would definitely be dead for how he treated people. If there was any karma, he'd be killed or would have died of natural causes. Instead, he was alive and promoted. 3. 8 years of time passed, which was the technical length of military contracts. Pre-enlistment, I remember thinking everyone served for one year, eight seemed insulting and ridiculous. I thought of how much time they COULD have taken of my life, and it just disturbed me.

I talk about this shit on here because I really don't have anyone to talk with about it in my actual life. I don't want to bring people down re-hashing something that has bothered me for so long. On the internet, you feel less bothersome of others, because people have a choice whether to read what you say or not; you're not really bothering them. At this particular juncture of my life, I'm in a good mood and happy, but the Army experience is something for which I really desire understanding and closure. That may just be unrealistic and I need to take proactive steps to move forward.

I just want to kind of make this thread my thought journal. Nobody may read it, although maybe some of you will give me helpful pointers or some insight.

I was really trying to think hard this morning on why my Fort Leonard Wood experience almost 11 years ago has dominated my thoughts for almost 3 years, yet was pretty much under wraps for the first 8 years. My theories: 1. When I went to college and tutored, I was in the same building as ROTC and it bothered me deeply to see the uniforms and glorification of Army officers in the advertising I passed 2. I looked up First Sergeant Weatherholt's name. I guess I had came up with a narrative in my head that he would definitely be dead for how he treated people. If there was any karma, he'd be killed or would have died of natural causes. Instead, he was alive and promoted. 3. 8 years of time passed, which was the technical length of military contracts. Pre-enlistment, I remember thinking everyone served for one year, eight seemed insulting and ridiculous. I thought of how much time they COULD have taken of my life, and it just disturbed me.

I talk about this shit on here because I really don't have anyone to talk with about it in my actual life. I don't want to bring people down re-hashing something that has bothered me for so long. On the internet, you feel less bothersome of others, because people have a choice whether to read what you say or not; you're not really bothering them. At this particular juncture of my life, I'm in a good mood and happy, but the Army experience is something for which I really desire understanding and closure. That may just be unrealistic and I need to take proactive steps to move forward.
Blah, blah, blah. You just want attention. You do this song and dance every few months. You come onto Sherdog after a supposed "suicide attempt," whine about miserable you are, people call you on your shit, and then you disappear for a while. Then, you come back after another "suicide attempt" and then attempt to trick people into giving you sympathy. You're a con man who seeks power over others via victimhood, and you're a mentally unstable loser who, by your own admission, has no friends in real life.

Isn't one of the side-effects of anti-depressants feeling suicidal?

o_O

I didn't know how to respond to this because I am not an expert on psychotropic medicine. I'll give you just my experience though. I didn't take any anti-depressants until I came back from Fort Leonard Wood almost 11 years ago. I got on citalopram for depression. For years I felt pretty good. I didn't notice any side effects other than being unable to cry. After hitting a rough patch, I got switched to my mother's anti-depressant of choice, effexor. It can have serious side effects. If I forget a dosage the whole day, I'll be nauseous and sick. It's also supposed to be hell to ween yourself off. I must have good luck with side effects because I got off it in a few weeks without any side effects. When I hit my serious rough patch last year, I was back on either Effexor or Citalopram at the time. Since both seemed to stop helping, I went on Wellbutrin and Paxil; since there are different classes of anti-depressants that work on different receptors, one can take two. I was still miserable, so I decided to go cold turkey. Nothing about my mood changed, but I did notice my sex drive was higher and I could ejaculate almost on command. I finally decided to go back to effexor for the third time and combined it with exercise to feel a lot better. Anti-depressants do have a common side effect of weight gain, which I find ironic since that's not really good for anyone's mood, but I notice that exercising almost completely nullifies that, at least for me. If one doesn't exercise, it does seem like an anti-depressant, other than Wellbutrin, will add a few pounds.

Now, in terms of whether the anti-depressants have ever made me feel suicidal. I wouldn't say any more or less so than not taking anything. I did take Prozac for a few weeks years ago and that made me feel like shit, but I got off it quick. I believe the concern about suicidal risk in anti-depressant usage is for younger people. I've generally not been very suicidal until recently in my life, and that was spurred by serious life changes and events. The Army experience made me suicidal, but I really wanted to be discharged more than I wanted to kill myself.

Last edited:
@LTorino - I missed the whole story here. Where you formerly the Mike Holmes guy who started this thread, or are you someone different? If you are not him, can you give me a little background? Were you physically abused as a child? Keep in mind, I am not a psychologist. But I would be willing to bet depression like yours stems from physical and verbal abuse suffered from a young age.

I have struggled with depression. While I didn't even realize it until I was 30, I have pretty much been anhedonic and had social anxiety disorder forever. Most likely because my mother became physically and verbally abusive to me once my dad left her. From there, I was thrown into a high school that was at times extremely violent and was a place where you really had to guard your emotions or you would make yourself a target. So I know that is where my inability to really feel a lot of joy comes from. At least, not being able to feel it without a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop, unless I have some chemical assistance.

I'm the guy that this idiot can't stand and has on ignore. Bottom line, he's a slack-jawed idiot that is incredibly weak and well off the deep edge. He thinks that everyone needs to be here to help him out, and when I told him to get over it and grow a pair, he threatened to come to my house and shoot me and my wife. I'm a former 3rd SFG guy, so that would have ended poorly for him. But like I said, he's a moron that is well beyond repair. He will likely eventually commit suicide, and that will be that. We all know the guys who can't hack it, and this dude is definitely one of them. Just the way it is, ya know?

Lol I know what you mean. Selections exist for a reason. Worked with some of your guys in 2007/08 in Helmand, not sure if 5th or 7th group cant remember now

Yea, I gotta be honest with you here, I'm not going anywhere near a doctor that wants to do electroconvulsive shock on my brain. Fuck that. Depressed or not, fuck that.
I'd rather have people do that than take drugs that'll have nasty side effects

Lol I know what you mean. Selections exist for a reason. Worked with some of your guys in 2007/08 in Helmand, not sure if 5th or 7th group cant remember now
Selections definitely matter, but we seem to have removed all of them from the experience that is life. We have prevented natural selection from doing its job. If we hadn't, guys like @LTorino would have been dropped from existence or had never existed at all. Harsh, but true. Shouldn't have been 5th Group. Those guys were the battlespace owners in Iraq. 3rd Group had battalions rotating through Afghanistan, so I was on a few of those trips. 1st, 7th, and 10th all did rotations in both because we needed the numbers, as you probably know. GWOT was relatively exciting times.

Selections definitely matter, but we seem to have removed all of them from the experience that is life. We have prevented natural selection from doing its job. If we hadn't, guys like @LTorino would have been dropped from existence or had never existed at all. Harsh, but true. Shouldn't have been 5th Group. Those guys were the battlespace owners in Iraq. 3rd Group had battalions rotating through Afghanistan, so I was on a few of those trips. 1st, 7th, and 10th all did rotations in both because we needed the numbers, as you probably know. GWOT was relatively exciting times.

Ill PM ya

@LTorino - I missed the whole story here. Where you formerly the Mike Holmes guy who started this thread, or are you someone different? If you are not him, can you give me a little background? Were you physically abused as a child? Keep in mind, I am not a psychologist. But I would be willing to bet depression like yours stems from physical and verbal abuse suffered from a young age.

I have struggled with depression. While I didn't even realize it until I was 30, I have pretty much been anhedonic and had social anxiety disorder forever. Most likely because my mother became physically and verbally abusive to me once my dad left her. From there, I was thrown into a high school that was at times extremely violent and was a place where you really had to guard your emotions or you would make yourself a target. So I know that is where my inability to really feel a lot of joy comes from. At least, not being able to feel it without a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop, unless I have some chemical assistance.

Hey, I'm sorry for you suffering. Life can be so unfair, and it sucks.

Yes, I used to post as Mike Armyquitte and Mike Holmes. Generally, I hit a low point and just change my password to jibberish so I have no access to post.

I really don't have a huge sob story, or maybe I'm just underselling the struggles of childhood. I'm from an upper middle class family where my parents were workaholics(my dad worked 100 hour weeks before we moved out of the higher cost of living Long Island). They are good people, but they have their issues. My dad's dad was physically abusive, my mom's grandpa raped her as a child, and my mom's parents weren't great. That all leads to a cycle because they have their own issues and don't know any better and had poor parenting skills. I got a vasectomy to break that cycle.

My coping mechanism has always been avoidance. If I tried to help my dad or grandpa with something, I'd get called an idiot, which really has become my own inner voice. I hated my brother because he annoyed me and I found him unbearable(I actually only started to talk with him after my poor military experience because he's been in the military for a long time. He agrees with me when I bash the military, then brags to others about serving in two wars. I just don't get him. I like consistency.) Because I really got nothing positive out of my family except whacks and insults from my dad, screaming and insults from my mom, and hits and stupidity from my brother, I learned to just lock my bedroom door and watch television all the time. I had no friends in school because I had zero confidence. I didn't even eat lunch because I felt I was unworthy of asking my parents for money. Only towards the end of High School did I start having friends because of things like having pro wrestling fandom in common and gaining a little confidence due to working out. I never dated a girl because I thought of myself as the ugliest person in the room. Looking back, I would kill to redo that part of my life. I had my biceps popping through my shirt back then and very good looking girls coming on to me, but I truly felt they were just playing a sick joke so I turned them away.

Even though I was a 4.00 GPA student, I always felt I was an idiot and one of the dumbest people on earth. My first go-around in college, I wanted to be a cop because I hated how people of authority abused their power, so I wanted to be one and be nice to people. My poor self image and anxiety made me drop out of school. I truly felt I was too stupid to be worthy of a college degree and only the best and brightest should have them. I never had much ambition because I got through life just watching television and not really aspiring for anything else out of life.

I met my first serious girlfriend in college. I didn't even find her attractive, but my low self image made me think "Take what you can get." I never broke up with her because we were living with my parents and she had no place to go if I did. I didn't want the guilt on my conscience. She cheated on me a lot, but I don't blame her because it was wrong of me to be with someone I didn't find attractive. The Army decision was in part a way to distance myself from her. Basically, she'll have to move out of my parents if it's only her living there and I'm gone. Then I could breakup and have less guilt.

Prior to joining the Army, I took a civil service test to be a jail guard. I didn't even want the job but I wanted to appease my dad after dropping out of school. I got to the psychological test phase. Basically, I was instantly disqualified because I passively considered suicide in my teen years. I figured everyone had. I truly didn't think there was anything mentally wrong with me, and that I should go ahead and join the Army and comeback a year later with that on the resume. One of the things that made the Army decision more enticing was my lack of confidence and the fact the Army didn't interview you; they just hired you. I didn't believe in myself to find another job.

I think in the back of my head, I was always suspicious of the military. When I was going to see a recruiter years prior, I got into a car accident. I actually thought of it as divine intervention(I'm not religious) It just felt like God was saying don't do it. But I did it this time. I wanted to continue to appease my dad, and I figured this would suffice.

I guess I had a lot of wrong preconceived notions about the military because I truly thought I could go be an MP for a year, get some training, and come back. I didn't know what the hell MPs did though or why they existed, because I figured all military members were upstanding citizens. I told my recruiter I had failed a psychological exam and if that was an issue, but he assured me it was no big deal.

I actually wasn't going to enlist after the guy offering more jobs based on my ASVAB score explained all contracts were 8 years and included chunks of 4 years, 5 years, and 6 years active. I only wanted a year and figured that's all people really did unless deployed. Just went I felt relief that I wasn't going to be enlisting, the jobs guy said he could get me a 2 year contract(I guess these have went away). Since the recruiter had driven me 100 miles to MEPs, I started feeling guilt and like I owed him, so I signed. After taking the oath of enlistment, a feeling immersed my head that would do so almost my entire stint at Fort Leonard Wood; regret and depression. I cried like a baby when I got home. I didn't want to do it, but I felt I owed to the recruiter and started thinking "How bad can it be? If I don't like it, I'll just come home."

When I got to Leonard Wood 2 months later, I just became a mental mess. I never expected that trainees are glorified prisoners; we were herded around in reception like sheep, had our time wasted intentionally, and were inundated with propoganda that the "fastest way out was to graduate." I was crying every night. I had went against my instincts just to appease others, and the reality of the situation was nowhere near what I expected.

I started really disliking the military when they played We Were Soldiers on one of the last days of reception. I thought to myself, "Why the fuck are you spotlighting the Vietnam War in a positive fashion? The military should be ashamed of that war and should have taken steps to ensure that never happens again." I guess I just assumed things had changed from the Vietnam War movies that I had seen on television. It seemed like a natural response.

Everybody kept talking about how "down range" would be different and fun. I started thinking maybe they're right, although the idea of shooting weapons didn't appeal to me. It hit me how little I had in common with the people around me and with the very purpose of the military.

Once I got to experience day zero, I was completely appalled. They screamed at us to get off the bus and line up holding the bags. "You brought em, you carry em." That was stupid as fuck logic, I thought. I was smiling because it looked kind of funny. A Drill Sergeant got in my face and threatened to wipe that smile off my face. Instantly, my reaction to threats is to fight. I wanted to fight badly, but I knew it would not benefit me, so my bad mood just chewed me up. They threatened us and talked about the UCMJ, then herded us to our barracks to inventory, lock away our civilian stuff, watch us shower, give us 2 minutes to eat, and put us to bed. All my head was filled with was "How the fuck is this legal? Why the fuck does society glorify this shit? This is bullshit." I was angry, at myself, at my country, at society, and at these trainers. I recall thinking whether I was sucker of the year for 2006 for enlisting or 2007 for showing up. I had the Michael Jackson song "Smooth Criminal" in my head all the time. I had just been struck by a smooth criminal, the United States government. Why did the recruiter not tell me any of this?

My anxiety started really hitting hard and I was in a constant state of depression. All they did was warn and threaten us. I'm going to be here forever because these fucks don't like how I roll my shirt or make my bed, I thought. They spent week 1 bringing us to classrooms and explaining that we signed a contract and couldn't leave. It seemed like such revisionist bullshit; I sure as shit didn't believe I was trapping myself when I made an electronic signature.

It didn't take long. If they truly weren't going to let anyone out, I was killing myself. I certainly wasn't going to train and reward them for the deceit and threats. I'm a catch more Flys with honey than vinegar person.

I will say that most my platoon mates were nice and supportive to me. I think the rhetoric would have eventually turned them against me had I stayed long enough. A "battle buddy" tried telling the platoon DS I was breaking down bad, but he said that they would only deal with it if I came to him directly. I didn't. I decided to hang myself in the bathroom. Only after I was struggling to breathe, did I release the belt somehow. As I sat on the ground, I told myself you're going to attempt to get out of here before you kill yourself.

The weird thing is my anxiety and Army rhetoric had me believing there was nothing mentally wrong with me. These armchair diagnoses had me legitimately worried that the psychiatrist would find me fine and I'd have to kill myself. They treated me like I was just going through a phase, but I knew I was done. I simulated a fight to get quicker attention. They were basically just ignoring me and pushing me to the side, which was making me more suicidal. I pulled guard on my dickhead battle buddy and got the immediate attention I needed.

When I saw the psychiatrist, I was pre-screened by a female Specialist who seemed to be pretty terrible at her job because she was provoking me and playing on my anxiety. Did compassion and understanding just cease to exist in the military, I thought. Why was everyone so dismissive of the very fact that people enlist ignorantly and that just shouldn't happen? They just liked passing the buck and naming it personal responsibility.

The psychiatrist was a pretty decent guy and I could kind of tell he was going to recommend discharge. It was creepy as fuck that he could only recommend and the decision was ultimately up to my piece of shit Captain.

After I tried stabbing myself with a pen, they broke the news that it was a stupid decision because I was being discharged. I wanted to hug all of them. I think they resented my happiness and excitement since they tried to fuck with me after that. It took about 3 weeks to get paperwork signed and get sent to the Return Home Unit. I was miserable as hell and anxious being told I was going home was all a lie, but I just kept my head down. Had it taken much longer, I would have still killed myself. I had too much doubt from my anxiety that I was leaving and I didn't have an ounce of respect for the officer and NCOs who talked shit to me constantly. I recall wanting to scream "Fuck the United States Army" on top of Mount Everest.

After I was bussed out the gates did I truly realize I had a mental illness. People like First Sergeant Weatherholt calling me weak and not a team player was the rhetoric that filled my head to the point I believed it. I really wanted to make a difference when I got home. It wasn't just me who suffered, people tried to get out to no avail, people cried in their bunks, people were scammed, etc. Just seems so wrong to me. Alas, there's really no market for talking people out of joining the military or helping people get out; the system is rigged. I even looked into suing or pressing criminal charges. No dice.

Hey, I'm sorry for you suffering. Life can be so unfair, and it sucks.

Yes, I used to post as Mike Armyquitte and Mike Holmes. Generally, I hit a low point and just change my password to jibberish so I have no access to post.

I really don't have a huge sob story, or maybe I'm just underselling the struggles of childhood. I'm from an upper middle class family where my parents were workaholics(my dad worked 100 hour weeks before we moved out of the higher cost of living Long Island). They are good people, but they have their issues. My dad's dad was physically abusive, my mom's grandpa raped her as a child, and my mom's parents weren't great. That all leads to a cycle because they have their own issues and don't know any better and had poor parenting skills. I got a vasectomy to break that cycle.

My coping mechanism has always been avoidance. If I tried to help my dad or grandpa with something, I'd get called an idiot, which really has become my own inner voice. I hated my brother because he annoyed me and I found him unbearable(I actually only started to talk with him after my poor military experience because he's been in the military for a long time. He agrees with me when I bash the military, then brags to others about serving in two wars. I just don't get him. I like consistency.) Because I really got nothing positive out of my family except whacks and insults from my dad, screaming and insults from my mom, and hits and stupidity from my brother, I learned to just lock my bedroom door and watch television all the time. I had no friends in school because I had zero confidence. I didn't even eat lunch because I felt I was unworthy of asking my parents for money. Only towards the end of High School did I start having friends because of things like having pro wrestling fandom in common and gaining a little confidence due to working out. I never dated a girl because I thought of myself as the ugliest person in the room. Looking back, I would kill to redo that part of my life. I had my biceps popping through my shirt back then and very good looking girls coming on to me, but I truly felt they were just playing a sick joke so I turned them away.

Even though I was a 4.00 GPA student, I always felt I was an idiot and one of the dumbest people on earth. My first go-around in college, I wanted to be a cop because I hated how people of authority abused their power, so I wanted to be one and be nice to people. My poor self image and anxiety made me drop out of school. I truly felt I was too stupid to be worthy of a college degree and only the best and brightest should have them. I never had much ambition because I got through life just watching television and not really aspiring for anything else out of life.

I met my first serious girlfriend in college. I didn't even find her attractive, but my low self image made me think "Take what you can get." I never broke up with her because we were living with my parents and she had no place to go if I did. I didn't want the guilt on my conscience. She cheated on me a lot, but I don't blame her because it was wrong of me to be with someone I didn't find attractive. The Army decision was in part a way to distance myself from her. Basically, she'll have to move out of my parents if it's only her living there and I'm gone. Then I could breakup and have less guilt.

Prior to joining the Army, I took a civil service test to be a jail guard. I didn't even want the job but I wanted to appease my dad after dropping out of school. I got to the psychological test phase. Basically, I was instantly disqualified because I passively considered suicide in my teen years. I figured everyone had. I truly didn't think there was anything mentally wrong with me, and that I should go ahead and join the Army and comeback a year later with that on the resume. One of the things that made the Army decision more enticing was my lack of confidence and the fact the Army didn't interview you; they just hired you. I didn't believe in myself to find another job.

I think in the back of my head, I was always suspicious of the military. When I was going to see a recruiter years prior, I got into a car accident. I actually thought of it as divine intervention(I'm not religious) It just felt like God was saying don't do it. But I did it this time. I wanted to continue to appease my dad, and I figured this would suffice.

I guess I had a lot of wrong preconceived notions about the military because I truly thought I could go be an MP for a year, get some training, and come back. I didn't know what the hell MPs did though or why they existed, because I figured all military members were upstanding citizens. I told my recruiter I had failed a psychological exam and if that was an issue, but he assured me it was no big deal.

I actually wasn't going to enlist after the guy offering more jobs based on my ASVAB score explained all contracts were 8 years and included chunks of 4 years, 5 years, and 6 years active. I only wanted a year and figured that's all people really did unless deployed. Just went I felt relief that I wasn't going to be enlisting, the jobs guy said he could get me a 2 year contract(I guess these have went away). Since the recruiter had driven me 100 miles to MEPs, I started feeling guilt and like I owed him, so I signed. After taking the oath of enlistment, a feeling immersed my head that would do so almost my entire stint at Fort Leonard Wood; regret and depression. I cried like a baby when I got home. I didn't want to do it, but I felt I owed to the recruiter and started thinking "How bad can it be? If I don't like it, I'll just come home."

When I got to Leonard Wood 2 months later, I just became a mental mess. I never expected that trainees are glorified prisoners; we were herded around in reception like sheep, had our time wasted intentionally, and were inundated with propoganda that the "fastest way out was to graduate." I was crying every night. I had went against my instincts just to appease others, and the reality of the situation was nowhere near what I expected.

I started really disliking the military when they played We Were Soldiers on one of the last days of reception. I thought to myself, "Why the fuck are you spotlighting the Vietnam War in a positive fashion? The military should be ashamed of that war and should have taken steps to ensure that never happens again." I guess I just assumed things had changed from the Vietnam War movies that I had seen on television. It seemed like a natural response.

Everybody kept talking about how "down range" would be different and fun. I started thinking maybe they're right, although the idea of shooting weapons didn't appeal to me. It hit me how little I had in common with the people around me and with the very purpose of the military.

Once I got to experience day zero, I was completely appalled. They screamed at us to get off the bus and line up holding the bags. "You brought em, you carry em." That was stupid as fuck logic, I thought. I was smiling because it looked kind of funny. A Drill Sergeant got in my face and threatened to wipe that smile off my face. Instantly, my reaction to threats is to fight. I wanted to fight badly, but I knew it would not benefit me, so my bad mood just chewed me up. They threatened us and talked about the UCMJ, then herded us to our barracks to inventory, lock away our civilian stuff, watch us shower, give us 2 minutes to eat, and put us to bed. All my head was filled with was "How the fuck is this legal? Why the fuck does society glorify this shit? This is bullshit." I was angry, at myself, at my country, at society, and at these trainers. I recall thinking whether I was sucker of the year for 2006 for enlisting or 2007 for showing up. I had the Michael Jackson song "Smooth Criminal" in my head all the time. I had just been struck by a smooth criminal, the United States government. Why did the recruiter not tell me any of this?

My anxiety started really hitting hard and I was in a constant state of depression. All they did was warn and threaten us. I'm going to be here forever because these fucks don't like how I roll my shirt or make my bed, I thought. They spent week 1 bringing us to classrooms and explaining that we signed a contract and couldn't leave. It seemed like such revisionist bullshit; I sure as shit didn't believe I was trapping myself when I made an electronic signature.

It didn't take long. If they truly weren't going to let anyone out, I was killing myself. I certainly wasn't going to train and reward them for the deceit and threats. I'm a catch more Flys with honey than vinegar person.

I will say that most my platoon mates were nice and supportive to me. I think the rhetoric would have eventually turned them against me had I stayed long enough. A "battle buddy" tried telling the platoon DS I was breaking down bad, but he said that they would only deal with it if I came to him directly. I didn't. I decided to hang myself in the bathroom. Only after I was struggling to breathe, did I release the belt somehow. As I sat on the ground, I told myself you're going to attempt to get out of here before you kill yourself.

The weird thing is my anxiety and Army rhetoric had me believing there was nothing mentally wrong with me. These armchair diagnoses had me legitimately worried that the psychiatrist would find me fine and I'd have to kill myself. They treated me like I was just going through a phase, but I knew I was done. I simulated a fight to get quicker attention. They were basically just ignoring me and pushing me to the side, which was making me more suicidal. I pulled guard on my dickhead battle buddy and got the immediate attention I needed.

When I saw the psychiatrist, I was pre-screened by a female Specialist who seemed to be pretty terrible at her job because she was provoking me and playing on my anxiety. Did compassion and understanding just cease to exist in the military, I thought. Why was everyone so dismissive of the very fact that people enlist ignorantly and that just shouldn't happen? They just liked passing the buck and naming it personal responsibility.

The psychiatrist was a pretty decent guy and I could kind of tell he was going to recommend discharge. It was creepy as fuck that he could only recommend and the decision was ultimately up to my piece of shit Captain.

After I tried stabbing myself with a pen, they broke the news that it was a stupid decision because I was being discharged. I wanted to hug all of them. I think they resented my happiness and excitement since they tried to fuck with me after that. It took about 3 weeks to get paperwork signed and get sent to the Return Home Unit. I was miserable as hell and anxious being told I was going home was all a lie, but I just kept my head down. Had it taken much longer, I would have still killed myself. I had too much doubt from my anxiety that I was leaving and I didn't have an ounce of respect for the officer and NCOs who talked shit to me constantly. I recall wanting to scream "Fuck the United States Army" on top of Mount Everest.

After I was bussed out the gates did I truly realize I had a mental illness. People like First Sergeant Weatherholt calling me weak and not a team player was the rhetoric that filled my head to the point I believed it. I really wanted to make a difference when I got home. It wasn't just me who suffered, people tried to get out to no avail, people cried in their bunks, people were scammed, etc. Just seems so wrong to me. Alas, there's really no market for talking people out of joining the military or helping people get out; the system is rigged. I even looked into suing or pressing criminal charges. No dice.
Dude, my story isn't very sad at all. Generally speaking, I had a great life. I was just curious to see if there was any physical or verbal abuse in your household. It sounds like verbal abuse was there. It just goes to show how important parenting is, which is why I will not be a parent. Too many people take it too lightly and fuck it all up.

dont worry, he is not gonna do it. he is the kind of a person who does these attempts to get attention. this thread and his active participation in it just prove it. if he really wanted to go, he would go Chester's way.

That's what I'm gathering here.

A cry for attention.

Seems like if people wanted to kill themselves there's very effective ways of doing it.

I honestly can see that perspective and understand it; I've often thought that of people that make lots of attempts.

My "issue" is that I wanted to go out peacefully, I don't own a gun nor want to, and am not a very creative hands-on person. My one attempt was lots of vicodin and muscle relaxers because I was a pro wrestling fan and that has killed some.

If you really wanted to kill yourself you'd be dead. There are less dramatic ways to get attention. And instead of posting here you should be working through these issues with a therapist.

Dude, my story isn't very sad at all. Generally speaking, I had a great life. I was just curious to see if there was any physical or verbal abuse in your household. It sounds like verbal abuse was there. It just goes to show how important parenting is, which is why I will not be a parent. Too many people take it too lightly and fuck it all up.

That's good.

Yeah, I would say there's also an element of neglect. Other parents would have got me help and made me face the world when I was locking myself in my room for days on end. They didn't know any better, though.

Sometimes I wish I could have kids to treat them with dignity and respect. When I jogged last night, I passed kids playing with their fathers. I thought of how lucky they were and how I'd love to raise a child free of abuse and neglect. But I just don't trust myself.

I honestly can see that perspective and understand it; I've often thought that of people that make lots of attempts.

My "issue" is that I wanted to go out peacefully, I don't own a gun nor want to, and am not a very creative hands-on person. My one attempt was lots of vicodin and muscle relaxers because I was a pro wrestling fan and that has killed some.

You did zero research and decided to OD on Vicodin because you heard it killed someone. You also put yourself in a situation where people would find you and take you to the hospital. These are not the actions of someone who is serious about suicide.

That's what I'm gathering here.

A cry for attention.

Seems like if people wanted to kill themselves there's very effective ways of doing it.

In theory, yes, I agree. Its a weird feeling to want to be dead, but have no energy to carry it out, no faith in your abilities to do it right, no desire to feel pain, and concern a failure will leave you alive as a vegetable.

You did zero research and decided to OD on Vicodin because you heard it killed someone. You also put yourself in a situation where people would find you and take you to the hospital. These are not the actions of someone who is serious about suicide.
False. I researched that about 12 of my 7.5 MG hydeocodine was a potential lethal dose, so I took about 25. With muscle relaxers, the research showed that somas were more lethal than what I had so I just took the bottle. I also carried it out when no one was home. I guess my lips were purple which is the only reason the ambulance got called, otherwise I looked asleep.

Why do people make armchair diagnoses about people's thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back