Attempted Suicide Last Week And Just Got Home From A Psychiatric Hold

MikeHolmes

Green Belt
Reaction score
The year 2016 has kicked my ass mentally. I was crying like a baby for weeks until I decided to just end the suffering, so I took a ton of vicodin and muscle relaxers, hoping to die in my sleep. I passed out almost immediately. When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed with an IV attached, vaguely remembering being asked what I took and having my dick cathetered for urine. Initially, I was annoyed that I woke up alive, which led to them having a nurse assigned to watch me for days until my kidneys functioned better and referred me to another place to be held until I was not a harm to myself.

I was really embarrassed and ashamed to be under that psychiatric hold, which motivated me to act better so that I could be released. Initially, they were going to hold me while I was given electroconvulsive therapy to fight the depression, but the doctor who does the treatment wanted them to exhaust more options first. Thankfully, although legally I could be kept 60 days, they released me in five. I have to attend outpatient therapy for just two weeks. They prescribed me another anti-depressant(paxil) to go along with my current one(wellbutrin). I'm hopeful that the new anti-depressant helps, but also feel better that electro shock therapy may be an option in the future.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story. I hope nobody ever gets that low in their lives.

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles.

Life can be overwhelming as fuck at times, just know that whatever you are going through that got you to that point is temporary.

There's always a light at the end of the tunnel my man, take it one day at a time.

Last edited:
I hope you find a way to gain some happiness in this life that you've been given, Mike.

I get genuinely concerned for your wellbeing every time I read one of your posts or threads that show the kind of mental/emotional state you get into. PM me if you ever need to talk.

Best of luck overcoming your depression.

You were being treated by a psychiatrist? You have an outpatient psychiatrist now?

The year 2016 has kicked my ass mentally. I was crying like a baby for weeks until I decided to just end the suffering, so I took a ton of vicodin and muscle relaxers, hoping to die in my sleep. I passed out almost immediately. When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed with an IV attached, vaguely remembering being asked what I took and having my dick cathetered for urine. Initially, I was annoyed that I woke up alive, which led to them having a nurse assigned to watch me for days until my kidneys functioned better and referred me to another place to be held until I was not a harm to myself.

I was really embarrassed and ashamed to be under that psychiatric hold, which motivated me to act better so that I could be released. Initially, they were going to hold me while I was given electroconvulsive therapy to fight the depression, but the doctor who does the treatment wanted them to exhaust more options first. Thankfully, although legally I could be kept 60 days, they released me in five. I have to attend outpatient therapy for just two weeks. They prescribed me another anti-depressant(paxil) to go along with my current one(wellbutrin). I'm hopeful that the new anti-depressant helps, but also feel better that electro shock therapy may be an option in the future.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story. I hope nobody ever gets that low in their lives.

Yea, I gotta be honest with you here, I'm not going anywhere near a doctor that wants to do electroconvulsive shock on my brain. Fuck that. Depressed or not, fuck that.

cant imagine getting that low. Hope you find sometime worth living for bro, theres a lot out there.

Congrats on being still alive dude. Maybe move to a third world country and dedicate your life to helping others rather than just ending it and wasting it for nothing?

Yea, I gotta be honest with you here, I'm not going anywhere near a doctor that wants to do electroconvulsive shock on my brain. Fuck that. Depressed or not, fuck that.

What's wrong with that?

Shit dude, I hope things get better for you. Please don't attempt suicide again.

2016 has been one of the worst years of my life also. Hopefully they can sort your meds out so you can start your recovery. PM me if you need to talk.

Electro shock therapy. Jesus. Come on, you can do better for yourself than going down that road.

What's wrong with that?

LOL, its barbaric shit. I'll pass. New studies have found that people with untreatable depression are showing improvement by doing psychedelics like LSD or mushrooms.

Thanks for posting, TS. Sorry to hear of your troubles, and most of us here in the forum have had our own issues. Often much worse than yours. One thing that helped me get through rough times is reminding myself that I'm not alone and many others have conquered the same demons or troubles and went on to live great lives. We always tend to think we are alone and nobody knows how we feel, but it simply isn't true. Take good care of yourself, find a good doctor, and post again to let us know how you are doing. :)

Electro shock therapy. Jesus. Come on, you can do better for yourself than going down that road.

It's a valid treatment for people with severe depression and bipolar disorder. It's also a lot less dramatic than in movies like Requiem for a Dream and One Flew Over the Cuckoos' Nest.

Im not a doctor but i think you should stop taking medication for depression. Ssris can make depressed people suicidal, they are supposed to help but a lot of the time it does the opposite.

People dont realize how unregulated the pharm industy is. They can fail 10 clinical trials and pass the 11th just on dumb luck, and have their drug lisenced, even if the drugs have proven to be ineffective the first 10 times. They also come with a lot of side effects, and mixing/combining ssris with other drugs can have unknown and often poorly researched effects.

Of course talk with your doctor first

Last edited:

ECT is the most effective treatment for severe depression. It's always surprised me how strong of an opinion some people have about ECT when they know almost nothing about it. People watch One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and think they're experts.

LOL, its barbaric shit. I'll pass. New studies have found that people with untreatable depression are showing improvement by doing psychedelics like LSD or mushrooms.

Different treatments affect different people in different ways. My uncle had to jump through countless hoops to get electroshock therapy in the UK. He's never been happier.

Im not a doctor but i think you should stop taking medication for depression. Ssris can make depressed people suicidal, they are supposed to help but a lot of the time it does the opposite.

People dont realize how unregulated the pharm industy is. They can fail 10 clinical trials and pass the 11th just on dumb luck, and have their drug lisenced, even if the drugs have proven to be ineffective the first 10 times. They also come with a lot of side effects, and mixing/combining ssris with other drugs can have unknown and often poorly researched effects.

No shit!

<6>

You were being treated by a psychiatrist? You have an outpatient psychiatrist now?

When I got to the psychiatric hold, a psychiatrist prescribed me medication. I think this outpatient therapy will involve a psychiatrist, as well.

The bad thing with medication for depression is it can take like 6 weeks to notice any benefits.

Back