ask me your questions

With your constant need of conflict you derail threads. Why not stay ON TOPIC. This is shincheckins thread. And I am all for that everyone discusses everything but correcting a boxing coach without any experience at all in boxing is just nonsense and doesnt help anyone.

My stance on this is if you have learned the fundamentals for years and mastered them ,the creativity begins and you start going away from basic boxing rules because you understand movement out of itself regarding your body. But thats reserved for the absolute elite like RJJ, Ali..etc.

Thats imo why its not always helpful as a beginner to watch world class boxers as influence. I much prefer talented amateurs like Sinisters squad.

@shincheckin

Do you feel that twisting punches give you more power /stability?
Do you use vertical punches without twist to split guards or do you also use them for regular attack?

I read an article from a kinesiologist that twisting highers the danger of injury while adding next to no force. I have parts of the article but not the source. Will post it at the end of the thread.

Why I am asking. Because of an old injury (rotator cuff) its much easier for me to not twist my punch with left hook and I get corrected permanently for it (which I understand). There are so many opinions on this that I dont know if I should force myself to twist or go with my gut and what my body prefers. I should make a video about it how I throw it but not possible at the moment.

I also like to jab without a twist (do both versions) but well that seems to be technical wrong ( feels natural). In light sparring it works just fine but I am talking sparring with newbs like myself.

So in general I really like to throw punches with my left without a twist and question is if I should stop with that imediatly to not learn it wrong or embrace it and refine. I only see a coach from time to time at the moment. He prefers twisting and normally I would just listen but here it just feels right to do it wrong :D.

the article:

did you get surgery on rotator cuff?

by twist for the hook, do you mean pivot? or the position of your hand, palm down, vs palm facing you?

For the jab without the twist, its a cool little trick, i have used it in sparring, never in a fight, not that it couldnt work but to pull it off i think you would need to either be very high level, or have practiced it a lot. Its something i have played around with in sparring, but never even thought of using in a fight, but that could be because i never drilled the shit out of it. That being said, its a good little trick. Could it become your regular jab so you can work around your injury, yes I believe so.

I meant positioning of the hand like you wrote.

EDIT: I did not get surgery and its an old one were its not necessary. Thanks I will just stay with the hook like I prefer and work on it.

Last edited:
I meant positioning of the hand like you wrote.

I hook palm facing me, for the body or the head. Its how I was taught. To me it seems more powerfull. Palm facing down is a different timing, snap, and pop, seems like a quicker punch though. IMO it seems the faster snappier guys punch with the palm down, guys like dekkers were palm facing. If thats what you mean, theres nothing wrong with doing it that way. Its exaclty how myself and many other guys hook.

What do you do for strenght and cardio?

I hook palm facing me, for the body or the head. Its how I was taught. To me it seems more powerfull. Palm facing down is a different timing, snap, and pop, seems like a quicker punch though. IMO it seems the faster snappier guys punch with the palm down, guys like dekkers were palm facing. If thats what you mean, theres nothing wrong with doing it that way. Its exaclty how myself and many other guys hook.
I do palm facing me as well, mostly because I was taught that way, and also because the other one, although stronger in short range, does fubby stuff to my wrist if I mess up.

Had shitty padholders for awhile so I had to do palm in.

What do you do for strenght and cardio?

for cardio mostly running, skipping, bag, and padwork.

strength, bagwork and calisthenics, like squats, situps, chinups, burpees, pushups.

you can play around with all of this stuff how you want and depending on your current fitness level. For instance maybe a all out 3 minute round on the bag, and at the 1 minute rest, situps.....repeat for X amount of rounds, just a example.

for cardio mostly running, skipping, bag, and padwork.

strength, bagwork and calisthenics, like squats, situps, chinups, burpees, pushups.

you can play around with all of this stuff how you want and depending on your current fitness level. For instance maybe a all out 3 minute round on the bag, and at the 1 minute rest, situps.....repeat for X amount of rounds, just a example.

You don't do speed kicks between rounds my instructors had me doing 10 each side in between each round. Sometimes 20 too.

You don't do speed kicks between rounds my instructors had me doing 10 each side in between each round. Sometimes 20 too.

yes i have done that. That kinda falls into me saying you can mix and match things as you please. could be 20 kicks, 20 pushups, 100 pushups. Whatever you want. You can also try 10 speed kicks at the start of each round.

yes i have done that. That kinda falls into me saying you can mix and match things as you please. could be 20 kicks, 20 pushups, 100 pushups. Whatever you want. You can also try 10 speed kicks at the start of each round.

One instructor had me doing that before and after each round it was so exhausting.

One instructor had me doing that before and after each round it was so exhausting.

if you push to hard, you will burn out. You gotta do it a few times and play with it a bit to learn how your body is, this way you can time your "peak" at the right time before a fight.

if you push to hard, you will burn out. You gotta do it a few times and play with it a bit to learn how your body is, this way you can time your "peak" at the right time before a fight.

Noted ty that will really help me.

Non training related question. What's your favorite Thai food and is there a favorite thai restaurant that you like in California? ขอบคุณ

Non training related question. What's your favorite Thai food and is there a favorite thai restaurant that you like in California? ขอบคุณ

My favorite thai food is pad sew ewe, or tom kha gai. As far as favorite restaurant, im not sure, they are all over the place, i just go to my local one. I used to work for a thai restaurant as well a very long time ago. Thai food is good but I prefer vietnamese food over thai. After weigh ins I usually get pho.

My favorite thai food is pad sew ewe, or tom kha gai. As far as favorite restaurant, im not sure, they are all over the place, i just go to my local one. I used to work for a thai restaurant as well a very long time ago. Thai food is good but I prefer vietnamese food over thai. After weigh ins I usually get pho.

That’s cool. If you have chance, try the Chinese/Taiwanese beef noodle soup. It’s really good.

No idea about the fascination with Viet Pho, especially over all that great Thai dishes. You ever try the Viet's, Bun Bo Hue? It's a brown/orange pork soup, thick round noodles, lots of meat and usually a thick hunk of pork + fat/skin. On the spicy side and much more flavorful than Pho.

Back