ask me your questions

What improves with age and what deteriorates when it comes to full contact ring fighting? For instance, do you find that your reflexes are worse now than when you were younger?

Stuff like that.

PRO: with age comes man strength, and maybe more mental strength as well.

CON: Recovery time is a bit slower and you dont quite have the energy like you did as a youngster. I cannot work 12 hours and then go train for 4 hours like I did when I was 20 thats for damn sure.

If you are already top level and you havent destroyed your body, and you have maybe 3 "big" fights a year, i think prime age is late 20's early 30's.

this boy is not the full quid. p.s what do you think of keith thurman. he's no tommy hearns or joe louis?

And introducing the non-fightingest champion of the modern era...Keith "SOMETIMES" Thurman!!

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Boxers throw combinations. They don't throw telegraphed punch 1, telegraphed punch 2 etc. George Foreman responded when he was panned for telegraphing: "It's telegraphed, but the message gets through."

MJW is not incorrect. He's talking about elbow-flaring, which not only telegraphs the punch but it takes from the power of it with less elbow-torso connection when and if the trunk is rotated.

Boxers deviating from proper form doesn't qualify the deviation AS proper regardless of how common it is, and throwing combinations doesn't necessitate elbow-flaring.

MJW is not incorrect. He's talking about elbow-flaring, which not only telegraphs the punch but it takes from the power of it with less elbow-torso connection when and if the trunk is rotated.

Boxers deviating from proper form doesn't qualify the deviation AS proper regardless of how common it is, and throwing combinations doesn't necessitate elbow-flaring.

No Sinister. MJW said: "a lot of top boxers are TAUGHT how to throw a flawed punch."

Now, which top boxer consistently flairs his elbow besides Deontay Wilder, who is the hardest puncher in the world? And secondly, which top boxer was taught that???

Last edited:
No Sinister. MJW said: "a lot of top boxers are TAUGHT how to throw a flawed punch."

Now, which top boxer consistently flairs his elbow besides Deontay Wilder, who is the hardest puncher in the world? And secondly, which top boxer was taught that???

There are plenty of top boxers who flared their elbows. Hell Muhammad Ali consistently flared his right elbow (particularly when he jabbed, Eddie Futch pointed this out). Roy Jones Jr. did it, Marcos Maidana, Sergio Martinez, Paul Williams, Andre Berto, I could keep going.

Now, if you're going to harp on the word "taught"...I can tell you this:

I see plenty of trainers here in the mecca of boxing who don't give a shit when their fighters BEGIN with a stance where their fists are close to their center lines and their elbows are far from it. And I see all walks of trainers who simply do not reinforce that their fighters NOT flare their elbows. Not teaching the correct version of a thing and allowing the wrong thing to continue is the same as teaching the wrong thing even if you verbally tell someone fighters should throw punches with their elbows down. And I see that sort of thing every day of every week.

I see plenty of trainers here in the mecca of boxing who don't give a shit when their fighters BEGIN with a stance where their fists are close to their center lines and their elbows are far from it. And I see all walks of trainers who simply do not reinforce that their fighters NOT flare their elbows. Not teaching the correct version of a thing and allowing the wrong thing to continue is the same as teaching the wrong thing even if you verbally tell someone fighters should throw punches with their elbows down. And I see that sort of thing every day of every week.

That's because it's the natural position for the hands in a guard. It does not feel natural to tuck them in to the ribs. Also, if they are already out in the stance, there will be less flaring than if they were tucked in at the start of the punching motion. So If you're gonna flare the elbows anyway, it's better to keep them out.

Last edited:
There are plenty of top boxers who flared their elbows. Hell Muhammad Ali consistently flared his right elbow (particularly when he jabbed, Eddie Futch pointed this out). Roy Jones Jr. did it, Marcos Maidana, Sergio Martinez, Paul Williams, Andre Berto, I could keep going.

Don't bother with him Sinister, he's just a troll looking for arguments, hopefully he gets banned soon

PRO: with age comes man strength, and maybe more mental strength as well.

CON: Recovery time is a bit slower and you dont quite have the energy like you did as a youngster. I cannot work 12 hours and then go train for 4 hours like I did when I was 20 thats for damn sure.

If you are already top level and you havent destroyed your body, and you have maybe 3 "big" fights a year, i think prime age is late 20's early 30's.

Yeah, it's interesting how UFC fighters seem to peak around 32. Makes no sense biologically. Has to be a mental thing.

What improves with age and what deteriorates when it comes to full contact ring fighting? For instance, do you find that your reflexes are worse now than when you were younger?

Stuff like that.
What goes with age ?
Reflexes. Quick trigger. Coordination (a bit). Don't move around so effortlessly as before.......so legs, I guess. Body doesn't recover as fast. Lil aches n pains.

Improves with age ?
No.1 would be knowledge. A close and related second would be training properly , so discipline , I guess.

If I knew the things about training n discipline that I know now , back when I was younger..........i'd be on the national boxing team, no doubt.

Don't bother with him Sinister, he's just a troll looking for arguments, hopefully he gets banned soon

Oh I don't reply for him, directly. Other people are likely reading who can actually get something out of it.

Oh I don't reply for him, directly. Other people are likely reading who can actually get something out of it.

You would make a good defence lawyer for MJW. He said taught flawed technique, you say it's not reinforced, which you mean is equivalent to taught. Lolz.

You would make a good defence lawyer for MJW. He said taught flawed technique, you say it's not reinforced, which you mean is equivalent to taught. Lolz.

you realize sinister runs one of the top boxing gyms in vegas?

you cant come on here and talk to people like your an expert grandmaster knows everything when you have no experience.

This is why you get so much "heat" on the forums.

Much in the same manner you and TRTfitness ruined my stance thread.

ANALOGY:
If you like skydiving, and watch skydiving youtube videos all day, and own a parachute, and jump off your table in your backyard. You may have your own thoughts, ideas, theories, on certain aspects and techniques, but until you actually go skydiving, you cant tell someone who skydives regularly, that they are doing it wrong, or that their technique is wrong and yours is right/correct, specifically when "yours" has never actually been used or tested.

You post 1 second clips of you punching and kicking. Hats off to you for being willing to put yourself out there. But, its how you present yourself, look at this tiny millisecond clip of the best and fastest punch in the world! We cant tell anything from that tiny clip, 1 punch doesnt win a fight, and no matter how much you edit that clip to make you look fast or whatever its just nonsese. If you want constructive criticism, post a minimum of a 1 minute video of you shadow boxing or hitting the bag. We will be able to actually see something from that, and provide feedback, and if you say your the best fastest etc. we will be able to see it as well. it seems you did TKD? Maybe you have some videos of you competing in TKD? TKD training at the gym? Kicking paddles?

you realize sinister runs one of the top boxing gyms in vegas?

you cant come on here and talk to people like your an expert grandmaster knows everything when you have no experience.

This is why you get so much "heat" on the forums.

Much in the same manner you and TRTfitness ruined my stance thread.

ANALOGY:
If you like skydiving, and watch skydiving youtube videos all day, and own a parachute, and jump off your table in your backyard. You may have your own thoughts, ideas, theories, on certain aspects and techniques, but until you actually go skydiving, you cant tell someone who skydives regularly, that they are doing it wrong, or that their technique is wrong and yours is right/correct, specifically when "yours" has never actually been used or tested.

You post 1 second clips of you punching and kicking. Hats off to you for being willing to put yourself out there. But, its how you present yourself, look at this tiny millisecond clip of the best and fastest punch in the world! We cant tell anything from that tiny clip, 1 punch doesnt win a fight, and no matter how much you edit that clip to make you look fast or whatever its just nonsese. If you want constructive criticism, post a minimum of a 1 minute video of you shadow boxing or hitting the bag. We will be able to actually see something from that, and provide feedback, and if you say your the best fastest etc. we will be able to see it as well. it seems you did TKD? Maybe you have some videos of you competing in TKD? TKD training at the gym? Kicking paddles?
Popcorn.gif

@spacetime

one more thing dude.

From the short clips that you posted of yourself kicking, i can tell you are definitely more flexible than me. I cannot kick the way you do. I would enjoy seeing some actual videos and dont doubt your ability. Post em up dude

You must be laughing at the fact that you don't understand how teaching works. Which is VERY funny.

You must be laughing at the fact that you don't understand how teaching works. Which is VERY funny.

So if students in a high school aren't checked for drugs, they are taught to do drugs?

When I was in Vegas, I had plans on going to Sinister boxing gym. However I discover Tacos El Gordo.

With your constant need of conflict you derail threads. Why not stay ON TOPIC. This is shincheckins thread. And I am all for that everyone discusses everything but correcting a boxing coach without any experience at all in boxing is just nonsense and doesnt help anyone.

My stance on this is if you have learned the fundamentals for years and mastered them ,the creativity begins and you start going away from basic boxing rules because you understand movement out of itself regarding your body. But thats reserved for the absolute elite like RJJ, Ali..etc.

Thats imo why its not always helpful as a beginner to watch world class boxers as influence. I much prefer talented amateurs like Sinisters squad.

@shincheckin

Do you feel that twisting punches give you more power /stability?
Do you use vertical punches without twist to split guards or do you also use them for regular attack?

I read an article from a kinesiologist that twisting highers the danger of injury while adding next to no force. I have parts of the article but not the source. Will post it at the end of the thread.

Why I am asking. Because of an old injury (rotator cuff) its much easier for me to not twist my punch with left hook and I get corrected permanently for it (which I understand). There are so many opinions on this that I dont know if I should force myself to twist or go with my gut and what my body prefers. I should make a video about it how I throw it but not possible at the moment.

I also like to jab without a twist (do both versions) but well that seems to be technical wrong ( feels natural). In light sparring it works just fine but I am talking sparring with newbs like myself.

So in general I really like to throw punches with my left without a twist and question is if I should stop with that imediatly to not learn it wrong or embrace it and refine. I only see a coach from time to time at the moment. He prefers twisting and normally I would just listen but here it just feels right to do it wrong :D.

the article:
The twist punch makes you significantly more prone to injury, is slower, and is not as powerful as a vertical punch. Amongst other things, he found that when the arm is loaded with forces from the fist, a twist punch puts a disproportionate amount of force on the ulna, which is the smaller bone.

Some people say that the twist adds power, but this idea is pseudoscience at best. First off, the rotation is perpendicular to the motion. Even if you could claim the twist adds power, the energy from the twist in a punch would be 12Iω2, where I=mr2.

According to Weighing in on individual body parts , the arm is about 6% of your body mass. If you weigh 100 kg, that's 6 kg. The radius of a MASSIVE bicep would be maybe 7 cm. (I have a 13" bicep, which would put my radius at maybe 5 cm.) Let's say your rotational velocity ω is about 4π/s, which I get from a half rotation in .25 s - quite generous values, I would say. This gives us a total added kinetic energy of
12(6 kg∗(.07 m)2)∗(4π)2s2=2.32 J.

Wow! So much energy! </sarcasm>

The next claim I've heard is that twist provides stabilization, similar to why bullets rotate when they are fired out of a gun. However, this is not possible at the slow speed of rotation - not anywhere close to the 3,000 RPS that a bullet might do. You can test out the stabilization yourself. Take a partner and try pushing on your arm in various directions, both with the arm extended and with the arm at post. You will find that the vertical punch is more stable (and hence more powerful and less injury-prone).

There are some other disadvantages as well:
Your elbow is exposed and quite vulnerable to an armbar/break.
Your opponent needs to be at the EXACT right distance; if he steps in, your wrist will get jammed.
The shoulder (for reasons I don't know, I'm not a kinesiologist) is typically not locked the right way, again making you more prone to injury (this goes back to what I said above about stabilization). This can be remedied by "squeezing a marble" under your armpit. The vertical punch automatically does this. Indeed, when Flanagan introduced the vertical punch over the twist punch in USMC boot camp, he documented a 20% decrease in shoulder injuries.
The twist punch is an unnatural movement; the vertical punch is similar to how we swing our arms when we walk. The twist punch goes straight into the opponent's solar plexus; a vertical punch rises and therefore uses the opponent's weight against him. In addition, the solar plexus is more vulnerable against a rising punch. (You can try this; hold your fist right against a partner's solar plexus and "punch" him straight in, downward, and upward. You will find that the effect on your partner increases in that order, even though your "punch" had the same power every time.)

Back