Ariel is a horrible reporter

It was annoying when he would wear those stupid sneakers to events, because, as he has said, as a reporter the story should never be about you, but then it would be like, "hey everybody look at me and these goofy sneakers I'm wearing!"

people can't be good individuals while stating opinions of people on the internet

noted.
Well, if's not an opinion to call someone a tool on the Internet. There are a thousand different ways to get your opinion out there without throwing insults. If you're safely home in your underwear calling mommy as soon as you get hungry, you shouldn't be calling people tool on the Internet. That's Sherdog in a nutshell and I don't claim being any better. At least I know it and don't throw petty insult to make me feel better about myself, under the guise of my Internet Persona.

Did I mention Tool is one of my favorite bands?

I think he's a super nice guy and likeable but he really is a terrible reporter imo.

1. He does not really do anything but scratch the surface on interviews and resorts to instigation with fighters

2. That show he has and the God awful music. It's boring and too long, I can't stand it more than 2mins

3. His beef with ufc is annoying as he takes a bunch of weak shots at Rogan and ufc. He's also a baby, lost credentials and rightfully so. They asked him for a favor to keep Brock news quiet and he had to report anyways. I would have as a fan found out on PPV.

Only reason ufc looked bad in all of that was admitting they took his credentials for that reason. I would have rather they quietly did it out the blue a month later.

Nice guy but he's horrible!!

Ariel is probably the only reporter that doesn't suck balls.. wtf you talking about?

- admittedly had no interest in MMA as a sport, but saw it as an opportunity to get into reporting.
Sorry, I have broken down your post to answer only this sentence.

Yeah right. You created your Sherdog account 6 years ago. 6 years before that, Ariel Helwani created JarryPark.com, a MMA site dedicate to interviews with fighters. That's 12 years ago, when there was NO MONEY at all in MMA reporting. He did it on his own, with little help and no investment that we are aware of.

Of course, you can launch yourself in a "Jew Conspiracy Theory" to explain it but you can't deny the facts: Ariel has been an active member of the Internet MMA world since the early days, when we didn't even know Sherdog existed (I didn't back in 2004). And I'm not talking about creating a forum account and calling other users "tool" for a living: I'm talking creating his own website, doing the legwork to get interviews with popular fighters and posting them for free, for all to enjoy ASAP.

He was basically establishing himself as "The Man", half a decade before you created you beloved Sherdog account. That was Ariel's goal, to be "The Man". 12 years later, he has never NOT won Journalist of the Year and he's The Man, no quotation marks required. You can blame him and say "what an opportunist, he knew back in 2004 that UFC would be sold for 4B and become an established brand all over the World". If that's being an opportunist, I want to be one too!

Encyclopedic MMA knowledge doesn't make you an expert if you just throw it around to make you feel superior and call everyone who disagrees a "tool". I don't say that's what YOU'RE doing but many, many people who criticize Ariel and call him a "tool" only do that on the Internet: throw insults, end arguments feeling as they won and discarding every opinion that goes against their own.

I don't even know why I bother to write a whole essay on this: I know Shedoggers will call me a shill, a poser, a fanboy, a Ariel-lover or a "tool", that's the motto. But at least I can write a long text without throwing insults around, something maturity teaches you at some point in life.

Most Sherdoggers never reach that point. Ariel has been mature for more than a decade on the Internet. His close colleagues are not. Let's take Luke Thomas for example: encyclopedic MMA knowledge, trains BJJ regularly, knows the intricacies of striking and can discuss technique for hours. But he's not mature: he engages in insult throwing games with haters, "burns" people who disagrees with him on the Internet and uses insult every day and some. I tried listening to him but his lack of professionalism and maturity was too much for me.

As for you Rimbrd, congrats: your long text was asinine but at least, there were no free insults and name-calling in there. There is hope for you yet and I have learned to respect that, hence the long post.

Sorry.

Last edited:

Yeah right. You created your Sherdog account 6 years ago. 6 years before that, Ariel Helwani created JarryPark.com, a MMA site dedicate to interviews with fighters. That's 12 years ago, when there was NO MONEY at all in MMA reporting. He did it on his own, with little help and no investment that we are aware of.

Of course, you can launch yourself in a "Jew Conspiracy Theory" to explain it but you can't deny the facts: Ariel has been an active member of the Internet MMA world since the early days, when we didn't even know Sherdog existed (I didn't back in 2004). And I'm not talking about creating a forum account and calling other users "tool" for a living: I'm talking creating his own website, doing the legwork to get interviews with popular fighters and posting them for free, for all to enjoy ASAP.

He was basically establishing himself as "The Man", half a decade before you created you beloved Sherdog account. That was Ariel's goal, to be "The Man". 12 years later, he has never NOT won Journalist of the Year and he's The Man, no quotation marks required. You can blame him and say "what an opportunist, he knew back in 2004 that UFC would be sold for 4B and become an established brand all over the World". If that's being an opportunist, I want to be one too!

Encyclopedic MMA knowledge doesn't make you an expert if you just throw it around to make you feel superior and call everyone who disagrees a "tool". I don't say that's what YOU'RE doing but many, many people who criticize Ariel and call him a "tool" only do that on the Internet: throw insults, end arguments feeling as they won and discarding every opinion that goes against their own.

I don't even know why I bother to write a whole essay on this: I know Shedoggers will call me a shill, a poser, a fanboy, a Ariel-lover or a "tool", that's the motto. But at least I can write a long text without throwing insults around, something maturity teaches you at some point in life.

Most Sherdoggers never reach that point. Ariel has been mature for more than a decade on the Internet. Let's see how long it takes for his haters to reach that point.

As for you Rimbrd, congrats: your long text was asinine but at least, there were no free insults and name-calling in there. There is hope for you yet and I have learned to respect that, hence the long post.

Sorry.
Thank you.

That show he has and the God awful music. It's boring and too long, I can't stand it more than 2mins

giphy.gif

My biggest problem with him is he's one of these culture vultures that latched on to MMA at the right time, and doesn't really give a shit about the sport, but loves the spectacle and drama. His over the top support for CM Punk really exposed how little he gives a shit about MMA. He's said dumb shit like how he think there should be a fight between Ronda and Bryan Caraway. He's a typical WWE fan that crossed over to MMA and often confuses the 2. It just dawned on me recently that the only reason I even listen to his show is because of the guest. When him and New York Rick converse with each other, you realize how much he doesn't know or care about the sport. It's about a fighters tweet, or manager breakup, or relationship or some other tmz bs.

If you want real MMA talk I would suggest listening to Robin Black.

I am with you TS. It seems like he thinks he is the bees knees and everyone should do as he says. He thinks he is above everyone else, guess what you greasy git, you aren't.

Last edited:
He does get the key interviews and the fighters people are interested in on his show. It seems to me he's been rather cautious since he was "banned" at UFC 199. Can't say he's the most knowledgable reporter when it comes to the technical aspects of fighting, however he understands the business aspect, and the promotional piece of MMA. He is knowledgable of MMA history and is aware of all organizations and fighters. In my opinion he's not the MMA version of what Dave Meltzer is to pro wrestling.

Admittedly I tune into his both the MMA Beat and the MMA Hour weekly.

He is a Dave Meltzer wanna-be, C-grade clone.

Most Sherdoggers never reach that point. Ariel has been mature for more than a decade on the Internet. His close colleagues are not. Let's take Luke Thomas for example: encyclopedic MMA knowledge, trains BJJ regularly, knows the intricacies of striking and can discuss technique for hours. But he's not mature: he engages in insult throwing games with haters, "burns" people who disagrees with him on the Internet and uses insult every day and some. I tried listening to him but his lack of professionalism and maturity was too much for me.

Sorry.

{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}{<BJPeen}

He is a Dave Meltzer wanna-be, C-grade clone.

Eh ... different type of reporter
Dave is less TMZ & more WSJ than Ariel.

Funny, but when Ariel wanted to get in the industry, he hoped to work for Dave, but received an offer elsewhere

I do like when Dave is on MMA Hour though. Ariel shows him a lot of respect & doesn't attempt to debate him.
He calls him "Godfather of MMA Journalism"

Eh ... different type of reporter
Dave is less TMZ & more WSJ than Ariel.

Funny, but when Ariel wanted to get in the industry, he hoped to work for Dave, but received an offer elsewhere

I do like when Dave is on MMA Hour though. Ariel shows him a lot of respect & doesn't attempt to debate him.
He calls him "Godfather of MMA Journalism"

Only different because Ariel can never be Dave. Belee dat.

And of course he's going to be nice to the guy who's gimmick he tried to "reboot", lol.

Ariel is a joke and only looks good because the general standard for MMA reporting is somewhere between my pinky toe and the ground.

When I listen to the mma beat I prefer to listen to the opinion of the other 3 then him. Supports CM Punk fight but goes off on bellator for putting dada 5000 in the ring.

I used to like him but ever since the ufc 199 shit and what happened after I couldnt care less about him.

I listen to his show just for the fighters but I do agree that when its him and NY rick he hasnt got a clue and doesnt seem interested in the fans questions just himself. Might aswell get rid of that part of the show.

Only different because Ariel can never be Dave. Belee dat.

And of course he's going to be nice to the guy who's gimmick he tried to "reboot", lol.

Ariel is a joke and only looks good because the general standard for MMA reporting is somewhere between my pinky toe and the ground.

Maybe you are right

My biggest problem with him is he's one of these culture vultures that latched on to MMA at the right time, and doesn't really give a shit about the sport, but loves the spectacle and drama. His over the top support for CM Punk really exposed how little he gives a shit about MMA. He's said dumb shit like how he think there should be a fight between Ronda and Bryan Caraway. He's a typical WWE fan that crossed over to MMA and often confuses the 2. It just dawned on me recently that the only reason I even listen to his show is because of the guest. When him and New York Rick converse with each other, you realize how much he doesn't know or care about the sport. It's about a fighters tweet, or manager breakup, or relationship or some other tmz bs.

If you want real MMA talk I would suggest listening to Robin Black.
I get your point. Ariel has clearly set his bounds: he rarely speaks about techniques, intricacies and fight tactics. He leaves that to real "experts". He has never claimed to be an expert or an encyclopedia on MMA. As I said earlier, having encyclopedic knowledge of MMA doesn't make you an expert if you can't use it in rational debates. At least Ariel can debate without calling people tool and discarding every opinion that doesn't match his own.

Ariel knows his bounds and doesn't pretend. He doesn't do BJJ breakdowns like he's the second coming (hello Luke Thomas!). He doesn't write long fight breakdowns like Jack Slack (nothing wrong to say about him, he's great). That's a lot more maturity than most Sherdog posters (including myself) have.

That's what I respect about him: his maturity and professionalism. Also, he's paid to cover MMA day-in and day-out. It has been that way for a decade. He doesn't receive paychecks that are not related to MMA: everything he does is closely linked to MMA. I wish I could get paid to cover MMA too!

As for Robin Black, I don't really know what to think about him. First thing first, Robin Black is a stage name. Back when Ariel was working day and night in MMA, he was still touring Canada with his glam-rock band so I don't know how much credit I can give him.

I did not listen to him much because, well, I get my MMA news from somewhere else, obviously. If real-life MMA experience is your standard for journalistic legitimacy, then Robin Black can be your man! I must admit that his transition is very strange: from glam-rock frontman to MMA journalist...

Maybe you are right

I know I'm right - I actually watched this shit go down.

You want to see similar dorks revelling in low standards? Go check out gaming journalists/reporters.

It'll take a century for these embryonic hacks to sniff the standards of a B-Grade old schooler like Meltzer.

Is he crying?

No.

Ariel was shooting his show's weekly segment, "Combat Cooking" where he invites fighters on to share and prepare their favorite recipes.

They were cutting up a lot of onions and, understandably, Ariel's eyes were watering profusely.

Haters have used this GIF out of context to portray Hellboy as some kind of big, weepy pussy.

Hopefully this sets the record straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back