Ariel is a horrible reporter

I get that it was news but it was stupid to report it because it was a cool thing the way ufc wanted to release it. Technically yea Ariel was in the right but I thought it was douchey the way he played it.

I get what you're saying. But do remember that journalists are not at UFC events to promote the UFC.

Their marching orders are to report what's happening before anybody else does.

If the UFC wants to make a cool announcement, it's up to the UFC to keep a lid on their employees. It's not realistic to ask the press to keep secrets for you.

He's not bad at all but he's super insecure and sensitive. He does a fine job on reporting but no not all his interviews are great. He has a good relationship with some fighters which make for good interviews.

It really sucks that he keeps sending those goons over to your house to make you watch his show.

This. Lets run the list:

- focused on petty drama and TMZ style reporting

- admittedly had no interest in MMA as a sport, but saw it as an opportunity to get into reporting

- has never trained in any combat sport, even to get a cursory understanding of what he reports on

- uses any opportunity to inject professional wrestling into the discussion

- has a desk covered in toys

- instigates any angle of conflict unrelated to fighting, but rarely scratches the surface on meaningful topics

This is the jackass that literally RAN up to the commission when Overeem was late to weigh in, and asked 'Will Overeem be fined???' The guy responds by saying "well, yes, I wouldn't have but since you brought it to my attention, now he will be."

He sets a low bar for how bad MMA journalism is.

My hope is some fighters decide to take a shot at reporting on MMA once they retire, and we get a new generation of more reputable, thoughtful journalists.

Thank you

I get what you're saying. But do remember that journalists are not at UFC events to promote the UFC.

Their marching orders are to report what's happening before anybody else does.

If the UFC wants to make a cool announcement, it's up to the UFC to keep a lid on their employees. It's not realistic to ask the press to keep secrets for you.

Yea I agree

hes "reports the news" the same way cnn or msnbc "report the news"

hes an opinionist.

WE KNOW

cant believe people were crying that the ufc banned him

He does get the key interviews and the fighters people are interested in on his show. It seems to me he's been rather cautious since he was "banned" at UFC 199. Can't say he's the most knowledgable reporter when it comes to the technical aspects of fighting, however he understands the business aspect, and the promotional piece of MMA. He is knowledgable of MMA history and is aware of all organizations and fighters. In my opinion he's not the MMA version of what Dave Meltzer is to pro wrestling.

Admittedly I tune into his both the MMA Beat and the MMA Hour weekly.

I have never listened his interviews that much. I think he is somewhat irrelevant since his journalism lacks depth. He just does not have enough knowledge of martial arts to interest me enough (I don't give a shit about drama or fake beefs).

He is quite ok reporter though as he actually reports actively and breaks some stories now and then.

20160925_1492416101.jpg Helwani is not a reporter but a groupie of Tears for fears band

Last edited:
wasn't it Ariel who showcased some cocky Irish fighter nobody knew about til he had him on his show a few times...

Conor?

Back