Ariel Helwani is still upset with the ufc/weight cut related

who is at blame for these incidents

• Total voters
I agree. Its on the fighters.

Kelvin, Poirier, RDA, Whittaker, cerrone. Theyre all killing it in a healthy weight. More fighters have to recognize that feeling healthy will improve their performance.

If Ariel saw Hall collapse, he would've had a mic in his face and been asking him about whether or not he's happy with his contract before he even checked to see if Uriah was dead.

And he's very biased against the UFC.
Precisely.

I don't watch wwe kiddo so no clue
They're aren't WWE, they wrestled for ROH like...shit almost 20 years ago now. If I remember right they were from your neck of the woods too, somewhere in Delaware <{Joewithit}>The plot thickens.

Hewlani, your beef is with the AC, not the UFC. Once the gubment gets involved, no one is liable for anything anymore.

InnocentVibrantInsect-max-1mb.gif

i know people love to blame the commission or organisation

but the blame is on the fighters
trying to get the maximum advantage they can get

No its the commission and UFCs fault for having leaving a GIANT loophole in the rule. You shouldn't be allowed to dehydrate yourself at all to make weight....period. Thats a loophole. The purpose of weight classes "Weight classes are divisions of competition used to match competitors against others of their own size". If thats the goal than why the fuck would they have the rules in place so the only requirement is for the fighter to have to be at that weight for a hour or so 35 hours before the fight.

It's completely retarded. Weigh the fighters before and after the fight. You go over the weight you are banned from the weight class and have to fight at a higher weight class.

It's going to take a fighter to die at the UFC level for this to change.

Last edited:
The fighters are 100% to blame. They should be smart enough and responsible enough on their own to know the long-term dangers of weight cutting without the organization having to hold their hands and protect them from themselves as if they're little children.

Granted, I believe they shouldn't allow people to cut weight beyond a certain point but that's out of fairness, not out of health concerns.

Whats the purpose of allowing anyone to cut weight? The goal of weight classes are to match competitors against others of their own size. It's impossible to accomplish that when you allow fighters to dehydrate themselves.

An UFC shill? You mean a UFC shill?

Lol

Your funny pal. Where do you get this BS from?

You actually look like a Helwani relative. Are you?

Lol, how can you try to fix a mistake and then make an even more embarrassing one using "your" wrong you damn retard. At least his would've made sense if he was saying "ultimate fighting champion" in his head or something, but you're obviously just a dumb human.

No its the commission and UFCs fault for having leaving a GIANT loophole in the rule. You shouldn't be allowed to dehydrate yourself at all to make weight....period. Thats a loophole. The purpose of weight classes "Weight classes are divisions of competition used to match competitors against others of their own size". If thats the goal than why the fuck would they have the rules in place so the only requirement is for the fighter to have to be at that weight for a hour or so 35 hours before the fight.

It's completely retarded. Weigh the fighters before and after the fight. You go over the weight you are banned from the weight class and have to fight at a higher weight class.

It's going to take a fighter to die at the UFC level for this to change.

I have never understood why the fighters had to make the weight one day prior? I think maybe it started simply as a promotional thing, but it turned into a tool the fighters used to cut a ridiculous amount. I have always thought it should be walking around weight.. You can allow more of an allowance by doing it on the day of the fight, so for example 185 could be as high as 187. Which is fine. Because you are right in the wheelhouse of where you need to be and that is your actual weight. If you do it on Fight day nobody is cutting anything.

Equally all three of course. Fighters are generally not smart people and don't consider their health, that's why the ref sometimes has to stop the fight even if the fighter who was almost beaten to death wants to continue. Every single fighter has a responsibility over their own health, but some people simply aren't able to take that responsibility. That's why some things are made illegal like heroin, it's for everyone's safety. The commission/org need to help fighters to make the right choices and battling severely unhealthy weight cuts is one of them. You're never going to be able to change someone's mindset when it comes to weight cutting or trying to gain an advantage unless you force them to. Commission/org needs to start tracking fighter health more thoroughly and make sure fighters aren't cutting too much weight.

The core problem here is that fighters look for any possible advantage and fail to see that dangerously depleting themselves comes with costs: both for their performance in the cage and their long term health.

The promotions and commissions can only do so much. The fighters need to alter their mindset and practices. Even the ‘solution’ of adding more weight classes is not a real solution, because it will only create fresh opportunities for dangerous cuts. Sure, it will benefit some; but it will endanger others even further.

Fighters: you need to compete at whatever is your peak shape. If that means you are giving up five pounds in the cage to a guy who is slightly bigger (which will frequently still be the case even after you have dehydrated yourself!), rely on speed, technique, gameplanning and conditioning to defeat him.

he's reaching
what does he expect the ufc say?

they should ban him again

to add on

i think the #1 blame on these situations are the fighters, they try and get the biggest advantage they can get and risk their own health so they can hurt their opponents health

The only reason to ban Ariel would be to conspire with him to boost ratings of MMAFIGHTING talk shows. It would serve no other purpose.

What's the problem? He's a reporter. He is supposed to ask hard questions.

the blame is mostly on the fighter for wanting the maximum advantage they can get in a fight...why.. to hurt their opponent

Your living in the past man.

Weight cutting is the fucking standard now.

Weight cutting is done by I'd say 95% of the roster.
It's basically a requirement to be in the UFC, they can't pretend its isolated fighters gaming the system, it is the fucking system.

If I was the UFC I'd be nervous about the issue.

What's the problem? He's a reporter. He is supposed to ask hard questions.

It's popular to hate on Helwani.

Tune will change if a fighter gets seriously injured in the future due to weight cutting. Ariel is one of the few big names who tries to talk about it and get the info out there.

Lol at "fighters" leading the poll.

Shows how retarded the average Sherdogger is.

Weight cutting is a defacto requirement.

Can anyone name 5 fighters outside of HW that don't cut weight?

If Ariel saw Hall collapse, he would've had a mic in his face and been asking him about whether or not he's happy with his contract before he even checked to see if Uriah was dead.

And he's very biased against the UFC.

lmao this rings so true

Back