Are there any submission superstars in the UFC currently?

His last sub is Cub in 2017.

community-ken-jeong.gif

Judging by these posts the answer is “no”.

Paul Craig is (was I guess) probably the best submission guy at 205.

Surprised nobody has mentioned aljamain yet… I thought he was amazing submitting dudes before the whole DQ title fight thing kinda muddled my image of him.
He has like 4 subs in 19 UFC fights. He's way more of a position guy than a sub guy.

Well, without mentioning the biggest stars, like oliveira, Makhachev, Jon Jones and Sterling (?)

From the new breed, Diego Lopes and Jailton Almeida comes to my mind.
Dolidze and Chase Hooper seems to be a bit underrateds but they are putting Very exciting performances .

Gillian Robertson & Diego Lopes are pretty awesome to watch grapple.

Surprised nobody has mentioned aljamain yet… I thought he was amazing submitting dudes before the whole DQ title fight thing kinda muddled my image of him.
World class jits and control, but there’s an awful lot of back control time there without being able to finish guys

Any UFC fighters who can pull of sick grappling moves in terms of throws, takedowns to elaborate submission moves?

I was watching old Karo fights and besides judo, he had sick submission game. Leg locks out of nowhere, throws to armbars and the most insane reversals. I feel like UFC fighters today are either strikers who can nullify the ground or wrestlers who can get top position to grind it out.

I do not see any crazy submission fighters anymore it seems.
Yes current mma fighters know how to negate most subs. The only one who I think has a top top mma sub game is Islam.

Paul Craig is (was I guess) probably the best submission guy at 205.
Craig is s classic case of a pure BJJ guy who has pretty much nothing else than the subs threat, and we see that he gets smeshed on the regular. He‘s very slow both in movement and in reaction and has no TDs, so we see him butt flopp quite a lot. But indeed always a sub threat.

I don't think that's really true. They like finishers, I don't think they have an issue signing grapplers who finish. They do avoid the Islam Mamedov, Sidney Outlaw, Danny Sabatello type who take people down and then don't do anything.

I've seen managers who work to get fighters with major orgs say it specifically about the UFC, and I tend to agree. I'm sure being a finisher does help your odds, though.

I think a guy who's quietly building a great submission game is Brendan Allen. A he's submitted good grapplers like Muniz and Craig

Ian Garry apparently...​

Submits like a little ho on a regular outside the cage.

I've seen managers who work to get fighters with major orgs say it specifically about the UFC, and I tend to agree. I'm sure being a finisher does help your odds, though.

Who have they skipped who's actually a finisher though? The only example I can really think of it lazy king and they did offer there but Fernando never passed it on.

Who have they skipped who's actually a finisher though? The only example I can really think of it lazy king and they did offer there but Fernando never passed it on.

I can't say for certain. It is just a general impression that I have and that I've seen managers share, and it isn't hard to come to that conclusion when you see dana whitne's frustrated face anytime there is a takedown on dana white looking for a fight or the contender series. I do think that being a finisher obviously helps a grappler's odds, but being a striker and a finisher would help them even more. And if you're two fighters with average finish rates, again I feel that they'd sign the striker first.

it is just my impression.

yeah, TS

the holder of all time submission record is still fighting, his name is Charles Oliveira

if you didnt know, now you do

Back