Are there any submission superstars in the UFC currently?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Any UFC fighters who can pull of sick grappling moves in terms of throws, takedowns to elaborate submission moves?

I was watching old Karo fights and besides judo, he had sick submission game. Leg locks out of nowhere, throws to armbars and the most insane reversals. I feel like UFC fighters today are either strikers who can nullify the ground or wrestlers who can get top position to grind it out.

I do not see any crazy submission fighters anymore it seems.

Modern UFC hates grapplers. The amount of grappling talent they hire has been decreasing every year for the past decade or so. They did find their niche with caucus and eastern euro/russian grapplers, but those guys are moreso wrestling studs than submission aces.

Last edited:
We definitely don't have guys like Maia, Werdum, Jacare, Mir, Nog, Barnett, Palhares like we did a few years ago.

Charles Do Bronx and Islam Machachev are the two best submission guys right now.

Khamzat Chimaev will probably get some more wins by submission. No shame in not subbing Burns and Usman.

Ol' Jim Miller can still sub some people with a variety of techniques.

Young Chase Hooper has good BJJ. That young kid Raul Rosas seems to be great at taking people's backs and and finding the RNC.

Paul Craig has a pretty dangerous guard.

I am sure there are a few others that I am forgetting.

But yes, not as many as there once were. Easier to make money elsewhere when you are a top BJJ player.
Yes, I think that is probably the main reason. BJJ guys are making more money now than they were 10 to 20 years ago. Most of the elite grapplers stay in grappling now with the explosion of the grappling scene. In the past, we had world champs like Werdum, Maia and Jacare.

I still have high hopes for Buchecha. Still can't believe he decided to jump in MMA. I still think he has time to improve and have a good career

If by superstar you mean a guy who is actively fighting and is submitting ranked guys with good grappling, I can only think at Charles and Islam

Mokaev can become one at FLW
Maybe, maybe Umar at BW, althugh is seems more like a decision machine against ranked guys. Still young.
Chimaev is not impressive with his subs. I don't see him subbing the top MWs.
Craig and GM3 had some good subs, but I wouldn't call them superstars.

His last sub is Cub in 2017.

Last edited:
Back