Are there any submission superstars in the UFC currently?

If by superstar you mean a guy who is actively fighting and is submitting ranked guys with good grappling, I can only think at Charles and Islam

Mokaev can become one at FLW
Maybe, maybe Umar at BW, althugh is seems more like a decision machine against ranked guys. Still young.
Chimaev is not impressive with his subs. I don't see him subbing the top MWs.
Craig and GM3 had some good subs, but I wouldn't call them superstars.

His last sub is Cub in 2017.

That was a hell of a sub though sir....but you're right.

Modern UFC hates grapplers. The amount of grappling talent they hire has been decreasing every year for the past decade or so. They did find their niche with caucus and eastern euro/russian grapplers, but those guys are moreso wrestling studs than submission aces.

I don't think that's really true. They like finishers, I don't think they have an issue signing grapplers who finish. They do avoid the Islam Mamedov, Sidney Outlaw, Danny Sabatello type who take people down and then don't do anything.

Mighty Mouse is a true wizard.
Overall one of the best to ever do this damn thing sir.

Yeah, gifs are pretty fucked lately.
He was just too good sir. For some reason a lot of fans dont enjoy a dominant champion..

He was just too good sir. For some reason a lot of fans dont enjoy a dominant champion..

No they think little guys can't be as good as big guys for some fuckin loopy reason sir.
They care more about #s than talent which is absolute garbage tbf.

Modern UFC hates grapplers. The amount of grappling talent they hire has been decreasing every year for the past decade or so. They did find their niche with caucus and eastern euro/russian grapplers, but those guys are moreso wrestling studs than submission aces.
That's because they don't win and get smashed while butt scooting around by the first average wrestler with decent sub defense. Nobody wants to watch that

Dolidze
In 23 total fights, Joel Alvarez has 20 wins (all finishes), of which 17 have come via submission.
great fighter - but far from a superstar … most casuals wouldn’t know who he is…. I think his last fight was against boring Diakese - far from superstar status .

Almost all submissions these days happen when someone is rocked from strikes or otherwise sufficiently beaten up/tired. Even most Charles Oliveira subs fall into that category.

As for the best pure submission threat - maybe Paul Craig? I don't know of many.

Almost all submissions these days happen when someone is rocked from strikes or otherwise sufficiently beaten up/tired. Even most Charles Oliveira subs fall into that category.

As for the best pure submission threat - maybe Paul Craig? I don't know of many.

Craig is a good one. I would also add Tatsuro Taira.

Fighters are getting better at defending submissions, that certainly plays a role.

Diego Lopes LETS GOOOOOO
:meow:
That guy has quickly become one of my favorite fighters. Only 3 fights in UFC I think. First fight was a decision loss but he showed amazing all around game. Second fight was a flash submission and then this last fight was a flash KO.

Diego is definitely one of most exciting fighters right now

Any UFC fighters who can pull of sick grappling moves in terms of throws, takedowns to elaborate submission moves?

I was watching old Karo fights and besides judo, he had sick submission game. Leg locks out of nowhere, throws to armbars and the most insane reversals. I feel like UFC fighters today are either strikers who can nullify the ground or wrestlers who can get top position to grind it out.

I do not see any crazy submission fighters anymore it seems.

Karo Parisyan, Carlos Newton, Sakuraba, Imanari, Oliveira, Bo Stinkkal, Brock Lensman, Grown man Cormier, Young man Bones, Tim Sylvia, Joseph "The Ho-Bag" Bochenek, GSP, Fedor, Houston "That Dude's Violent!" Alexander.

Charles Oliveira and Diego Lopes aren't too shabby.

Even though he had a shitty last showing, I would still classify Jailton Almeida as one…

Don't forget we still have Joe Rogan ringside who is a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

At any moment he can walk in there and just snap a guys neck.

Back