Applying at Lowe's- Stories, tips, or condolences

Why doesn't your wife get a part time job somewhere? Try Uber, too.

Not trying to be funny, just tossing out ideas. Nothing wrong with working an honest job for honest wages.

Na7h53a.gif

I worked at Home Depot back in the day.

It's like any retail job, they want you to dedicate your life to your shitty party time minimum wage job. There will be a guy there who doesn't know shit, but has the authority to tell you what to do so just say "ok" to whatever he says and then spend the rest of the time trying to figure out how to weasel your way out of it instead of actually doing the work. These stores breed a bitter ass workforce by the way they treat their people. You can bust your ass like no other for a year straight and you'll still get a .25 cent raise just like the stoner guy who doesn't do shit next to you because they have rules about their raises and promotions. Apparently upping you by a dollar will break the bank.

Also negotiate your raise immediately during the interview because it wont be going up faster than 3% a year and 3% of minimum wage aint shit. Make sure you get all you can during your interview.

Some positives are the people. You should have a handful of pretty fun people to work with. Also depending on what department you land in, you'll probably learn some solid do it yourself knowledge for when you work on your own home.

I worked at Home Depot back in the day.

It's like any retail job, they want you to dedicate your life to your shitty party time minimum wage job. There will be a guy there who doesn't know shit, but has the authority to tell you what to do so just say "ok" to whatever he says and then spend the rest of the time trying to figure out how to weasel your way out of it instead of actually doing the work. These stores breed a bitter ass workforce by the way they treat their people. You can bust your ass like no other for a year straight and you'll still get a .25 cent raise just like the stoner guy who doesn't do shit next to you because they have rules about their raises and promotions. Apparently upping you by a dollar will break the bank.

Also negotiate your raise immediately during the interview because it wont be going up faster than 3% a year and 3% of minimum wage aint shit. Make sure you get all you can during your interview.

Some positives are the people. You should have a handful of pretty fun people to work with. Also depending on what department you land in, you'll probably learn some solid do it yourself knowledge for when you work on your own home.

See this is the kind of stuff I was referring to. And it may go on at a lot of places, but a lot of industries don't start so far below the poverty line while expecting so much. I've seen people bust their ass for a year only to get a .10 raise (yes one year they gave everyone a .5-.25 raise. I privately negotiated a $1.25 raise for myself but that was far from the norm), or watch the random stoner that's the son of a higher up get promoted past you. I also watched people that contributed next to no work and spent all their time kissing ass leapfrog me too.

Politics and the pyramid shaped wage structure aren't uncommon, but it's at a different level in retail. I don't think mentioning that means I have a negative attitude when I have so much experience with it. But I can understand how it comes off that way to someone unfamiliar with the industry.

my friend got fired from there because he operated a fork lift without a "spotter" or guy to help him back up.

apparently they are no nonsense about that.

Home Depot is the same way.

Should have went to Walmart.

I rode down on the forks one time when I was working in garden center with my old assistant manager driving.

2 years ago I got a job that pays me sick money. Before that my company was struggling so I started working saturdays 9-2 at a small independent used car lot. I get 100 for the day and 200 for every car I sell. I usually sell one car. So 300 in cash for a few hours. But there have been many days where I have sold 2 or 3. That a 5-700 day. I still do it because it's easy money, it's cash, and helps me if I ever lose my main gig.

Should have went to Walmart.

I rode down on the forks one time when I was working in garden center with my old assistant manager driving.

I worked at Walmart as a teenager. They let me drive the forklift. Then, I came back from college to work Christmas break. I was told I couldn't drive the forklift anymore. I assumed someone somewhere at another Walmart did something stupid with their forklift, so no "I just work breaks" people could work them any longer.

Since we are talking retail:

Much has been covered

- Top managers made decent money. But, I couldn't quite understand why they got their position other than being super-loyal to the company. It was the only time I saw a man in New England wearing snake-skin boots and a ten-gallon hat.

- Middle mangers were 50/50. Some were good folks that were smart and using this as experience for better things down the line. The other half were angry all the time that they were not top dog. I steered clear from them. They really made me feel uncomfortable.

- The vast majority of lower-level people (like me) were great folks. Many were there making supplemental income and were there to save for a rainy day. Others, were realistic in their situation: they were adults without college degrees and accepted that that was where they were going to be. They still ate at the same restaurants and cheered for the same sports teams as their customers that had masters degrees, just made less money.

Oh, and I didn't understand why we had such an obvious "loss prevention" manager. He was supposed to catch shoplifters, but the first day on the job (training), I was told that the number one shoplifters in the company were employees. I remember one of my managers got fired due to stealing during the holiday season. I had heard another was let go for stealing as well.

I used to work at a menards, basically the same thing. Prepare to deal with know-it-all contractors and assholes who will belittle you if you don't know absolutely everything. Not sure if your situation will be the same, but I imagine it will be a similar situation to what I had. It's not that bad for most of the time though.

I got a job there 2 weeks ago I work in the internet fulfillment in the back packing boxes for 9 hours but there's a lot of cool people back there's so it makes the day go by faster plus I don't have to deal with customers it's pretty chill just boring and tiring its 10.50 a hour - taxes

My friend started HD as a return cashier, and six years later was making 30 per hour. When he transferred to UC Irvine from juco they let him reduce his hours to 20 per week, but keep his pay. He liked it and had go things to say about HD.

I worked there over a decade ago. It's retail, which means dealing with dipshit customers every day. It isn't the worst job you can get, that's for sure.

One good thing is that they don't expect you to be an expert in whatever department you end up in. When I was there we were forbidden from giving tips or instructions to customers on their projects, for liability reasons. It made things easier. I was in Electrical and didn't know the first thing about it.

So, I got my acceptance for employment letter-

Dear Luv24nic8

I am pleased to offer you the position of Store Seasonal Employee. In this position you will report to **********. Your effective date of employment will be determined upon acceptance and contingent upon an approved background and negative drug screen. We have a tremendous opportunity for you here at Lowe’s and feel you will make an excellent addition to our team.

The details of our offer include: Salary Your salary will be $11.77 per hour, payable bi-weekly.

Employment Classification Seasonal – normally scheduled to work up to 39 hours per week, as set by your supervisor. Your estimated end date is October 1, 2017.

Terms of Offer The terms of this offer are strictly confidential and are contingent upon verification of your eligibility to work in the United States, and the successful completion of employment screening including, but not limited to: drug test, criminal record inquiry, motor vehicle checks and investigation.

Your acceptance of this offer indicates that you will not disclose the terms of this offer to anyone outside of Lowe’s management. Additionally, you agree that the above offer is based solely on the promises herein, that this offer letter contains all the promises and representations made to you, and you acknowledge that there are no other representations upon which you rely in accepting employment with the company. Job Description Acknowledgment I acknowledge that I have read the Job Description for the position being offered and I understand what would be expected of me. The Company reserves the right to change or reassign job duties or to combine positions at any time. I also understand that the Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment. You acknowledge that this employment offer letter represents the entire agreement between you and Lowe’s and that no verbal or written agreements, promises or representations that are not specifically stated in this employment offer letter, are or will be binding upon Lowe’s. If you have any questions regarding your offer, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Names have been changed for obvious reasons- I'm scheduled for an interview at Home Depot this sunday at 3 pm-

Back