Applying at Lowe's- Stories, tips, or condolences

My condolences. I'm on the shitty job search track as well. In fact had a shitty interview at a shitty place today.

It sucks. I'm there a lot because I frame and my mom use to be employed by them. The truth is, it's better than being broke. Give them a chance if it means supporting your family.

damn, sucks that you need to work part-time. i don't know much about lowe's. from a distance, it seems pretty relaxed. maybe if you're a stocker, it would suck having to pick up all that heavy shit and put it on the shelves. i like the smell of lumber, so if you're like that as well, that would be a plus. can't think of anything else.
You like the smell of wood huh

Neither sad nor do you give my condolences. Lowes is a multi million dollar company, if you get a job and you show who you are and what your worth, then you can always grow in the company. The managers there must make decent money, maybe not the best, but at least it's something.

how-many-lowes-could-rob-lowe-rob-if-rob-lowe-15867896.png

Great news- I have an interview at Lowes tomorrow at 2- then at Home Cheapo on sunday at 3- That's mountain standard time for all of you that will be thinking of me during those times-
9969d8f32d90976100167cbafe4aed9a_super-bowl-xlix-49-to-hot-rod-quotes-may-your-hammer-be-mighty_245-220.gif

Neither sad nor do you give my condolences. Lowes is a multi million dollar company, if you get a job and you show who you are and what your worth, then you can always grow in the company. The managers there must make decent money, maybe not the best, but at least it's something.

Lol let's not act like much of the income trickles down in retail. A lot of something else trickles down. You have one store manager that makes good money (middle to upper middle class), a handful of lower level managers that are lower middle class, probably at most 6 people making 30-50k. Then you have hundreds of people making hourly.

So AT BEST 7 ish people making a real income, and upwards of 2-3 hundred somewhere around the poverty line. Those odds suck. And in my experience only the assistant store manager makes anything close to 50k at most places.

Source: Over a decade of working in retail.

They seemed way more laid back than home depot. Home Depot wanted you to bust your ads and then some from minimum wage. Then after a month of that they would bust your hours down to 17 a week. You had to bust ass for a long time to get bumped up t full time. They didn't want anyone other than management at full timr

They would talk shit on Lowe's and say everyone there was lazy. They wanted to run them out of business. Talked about it during orientation.

Hearing about Lowe's during orientation made me think I should've applied there instead. More laid back.

As a consumer though, I go to home Depot because they have to help you. They can get in trouble if they aren't. Hours 2-5(?) Everyone has to be on the floor helping customers.
To be fair Lowe's stocks their products so that it's much easier to find stuff on your own. Home depot stores their products the same way I store shit in my garage...wherever there's room.

do what you gotta do ts.

Lol let's not act like much of the income trickles down in retail. A lot of something else trickles down. You have one store manager that makes good money (middle to upper middle class), a handful of lower level managers that are lower middle class, probably at most 6 people making 30-50k. Then you have hundreds of people making hourly.

So AT BEST 7 ish people making a real income, and upwards of 2-3 hundred somewhere around the poverty line. Those odds suck. And in my experience only the assistant store manager makes anything close to 50k at most places.

Source: Over a decade of working in retail.

I couldn't live like that, Mike.
It's a self fulfilling prophecy towards living in poverty.

If you think you're going to do horribly in life, you will. If you think you will do great, you might not, but at least you will not be your own worst enemy.

fuck bro, get your dick up and get those people who owe you the cash to pay up. Rememeber to threaten to rape their wives and sons.

I couldn't live like that, Mike.
It's a self fulfilling prophecy towards living in poverty.

If you think you're going to do horribly in life, you will. If you think you will do great, you might not, but at least you will not be your own worst enemy.

Just pointing out the facts. It's not about how hard you work either. Not in retail at least. It's your productivity, your networking, ass kissing, etc. Not saying he should just give up or anyone should. More that retail is a temporary solution, like 1% of people working in retail make a living wage. Terrible ratio.

It's fine as a temporary measure, but you don't want to stay in that industry I've seen it chew up a LOT of great people. It's some highlander shit, a few people out of several hundred that aren't living in bone crushing poverty.

Just pointing out the facts. It's not about how hard you work either. Not in retail at least. It's your productivity, your networking, ass kissing, etc. Not saying he should just give up or anyone should. More that retail is a temporary solution, like 1% of people working in retail make a living wage. Terrible ratio.

It's fine as a temporary measure, but you don't want to stay in that industry I've seen it chew up a LOT of great people. It's some highlander shit, a few people out of several hundred that aren't living in bone crushing poverty.
That is the truth with EVERY type of job.
Name one that isn't? and what would be your answer to this problem?

anywho, I try to be positive and let people know that they can be something instead of dwelling on negative shit all the time. It works much better than the alternative.

Yeah- working in retail part time isn't going to make me - but if I bring in an extra 800 a month, then I'll be able to pay some bills and give myself some breathing room while I work on my business-

It was more a response of the money the company makes being completely unrelated to what the employees make than telling people to give up or not even bother trying. I'm searching for a similar job, but I know the odds of getting to a level where I can make a god living solely from a job like that are very low. Not impossible, but very low. And odds matter.
That is the truth with EVERY type of job.
Name one that isn't? and what would be your answer to this problem?

anywho, I try to be positive and let people know that they can be something instead of dwelling on negative shit all the time. It works much better than the alternative.

Every unskilled labor job maybe, but for sure not every job. Retail has below the poverty line wages from entry level all the way until high level. Dept leads/low level managers don't make shit. That was my point, not that anyone should just give up. Entry level truck drivers, manufacturing, various other blue collar jobs when you can find them, start off at more than managers with 5+ years invested make in retail. Retail has some of the worst income scaling of any industry.

You implied that "well they're a multi million dollar company so there's all these opportunities" That isn't true, because profit sharing is horrible at these companies. That's all I was saying and it wasn't even negativity, just being practical. I mean I have lots of experience working at places like this, I know what I'm talking about.

You don't seem to realize these jobs start near minimum wage, and the next several tiers above entry level don't pay much more. As far as changing it, that would be down to government introducing more regulation but that won't ever happen. The ratio of profit made to what they pay employees is pitiful, and it won't change because it's "unskilled" labor. Anyway I hope he gets the job and it works out for him. Only thing I was challenging was the assertion there's lots of money and opportunity floating around these places.

It was more a response of the money the company makes being completely unrelated to what the employees make than telling people to give up or not even bother trying. I'm searching for a similar job, but I know the odds of getting to a level where I can make a god living solely from a job like that are very low. Not impossible, but very low. And odds matter.

Every unskilled labor job maybe, but for sure not every job. Retail has below the poverty line wages from entry level all the way until high level. Dept leads/low level managers don't make shit. That was my point, not that anyone should just give up. Entry level truck drivers, manufacturing, various other blue collar jobs when you can find them, start off at more than managers with 5+ years invested make in retail. Retail has some of the worst income scaling of any industry.

You implied that "well they're a multi million dollar company so there's all these opportunities" That isn't true, because profit sharing is horrible at these companies. That's all I was saying and it wasn't even negativity, just being practical. I mean I have lots of experience working at places like this, I know what I'm talking about.

You don't seem to realize these jobs start near minimum wage, and the next several tiers above entry level don't pay much more. As far as changing it, that would be down to government introducing more regulation but that won't ever happen. The ratio of profit made to what they pay employees is pitiful, and it won't change because it's "unskilled" labor. Anyway I hope he gets the job and it works out for him. Only thing I was challenging was the assertion there's lots of money and opportunity floating around these places.

It just all seems like a defeatist attitude, which will result in defeat. You say it is realistic, and maybe so, but it does no good to have that mentality. Ask those managers if they feel the same. Everyone thinks their managers are shit in retail, and no good at their job, yet never do any better.
If that is your outlook in life, you will get nowhere.

I don't know any successful people who have this view on work, and life in general. Only poor people.

If a hot girl asks about lumber tell her youll show her your wood.

Why doesn't your wife get a part time job somewhere? Try Uber, too.

Not trying to be funny, just tossing out ideas. Nothing wrong with working an honest job for honest wages.

Back