Anyone here run marathons?

Did my half marathon yesterday. My time was terrible by the standard of some of you in this thread. Goodness a few of you are beasts!

Anyway, this was my first distance run. I've never done even a 5k before. I pretty much have always hated running honestly, but wanted to mentally challenge myself to do this. My training over last 4 months was abysmal. I got sick 3 times (a danger when you work in a hospital), had a weird heel issue/pain, and close to the race had some left shin splint pain. Never really got on a roll with training, but I just did what I could when I could.

Being my first race I wasn't really aiming for an awesome time, it was all about just finishing. However, realistically I figured around 2.5 hours I could manage. I ended up at 3 hours. Why? Because at mile 6 both feet started blistering bad. Over the next few miles I stopped 3 times to tape them up. The sweat kept making the tape slide off so I had to readjust and retape. The last 3 miles I just said screw it and just ran through the pain.

I was running in Hawaii and I think it was the heat and humidity that made the difference. I never had issues at home on the training runs. I flew in a week early to actually see if this would be the case, but on the shorter runs in HI leading up to this weekend I didn't have issues. It was only when after a bit longer distance that problems came up.

So I actually surprisingly felt great running and if the blisters didn't cause me to stop and also slow my pace I actually think I could have hit between 2 and 2.5 hours. I would have been really proud of myself for that, again considering how much I dislike running. Still, I'm proud I actually did one of these things.

I had bad blister problems once at an ironman triathlon. It started getting bad like 6-7 miles into the marathon and hobbled me to just a walk for most of the last 20 miles. I think my marathon time was like 6 hours that day. I finished but it was super shitty and embarrassingly slow...

I had bad blister problems once at an ironman triathlon. It started getting bad like 6-7 miles into the marathon and hobbled me to just a walk for most of the last 20 miles. I think my marathon time was like 6 hours that day. I finished but it was super shitty and embarrassingly slow...

It's amazing how a small thing like a blister can mess everything up isn't it?

It's amazing how a small thing like a blister can mess everything up isn't it?

Yeah man. I always used to laugh at dudes who complained about it until it happened to me. In the ultra running world, blister prevention is like a massive part of the sport.

I have a toe nail that's perpetually black.

Talk to me when you guys start running ultra marathons.

I've been doing them for years. A few of using this thread have been discussing it a bit.

already discussed as ironwolf said, but also look back at the post about the guy that does fell running. those longer fell races seem insane.

Yeah man. I always used to laugh at dudes who complained about it until it happened to me. In the ultra running world, blister prevention is like a massive part of the sport.

i can imagine because it really just shuts everything down. i'm curious, do you put anything on your feet to help prevent them for longer runs? i've seen some recent articles about paper tape. have you tried that?

already discussed as ironwolf said, but also look back at the post about the guy that does fell running. those longer fell races seem insane.

i can imagine because it really just shuts everything down. i'm curious, do you put anything on your feet to help prevent them for longer runs? i've seen some recent articles about paper tape. have you tried that?

Nah I never tried it. I generally don't have any issues once I find the proper sock/shoe combo that works for me and other than that ironman race, I've never had issues even in ultra runs.

I'm still not exactly sure why that happened at the ironman, maybe my feet were swelling or something, the hot spots were right under the balls of my feet on both sides, at first it was just a minor thing but it quickly got really bad.

I have used Vaseline before and that seems to work fairly well but it get all over the shoes and socks which may or may not be an issue.

I've been doing them for years. A few of using this thread have been discussing it a bit.

.....talk to me after you've completed an ultra marathon, a triathlon, an ironman, and an all night kegger.

Nah I never tried it. I generally don't have any issues once I find the proper sock/shoe combo that works for me and other than that ironman race, I've never had issues even in ultra runs.

I'm still not exactly sure why that happened at the ironman, maybe my feet were swelling or something, the hot spots were right under the balls of my feet on both sides, at first it was just a minor thing but it quickly got really bad.

I have used Vaseline before and that seems to work fairly well but it get all over the shoes and socks which may or may not be an issue.

that's exactly where i got the blisters for this past run. you mentioned the swelling and i know for sure that's was it was for me. the heat and humidity difference from my home state vs. running in hawaii.

that's exactly where i got the blisters for this past run. you mentioned the swelling and i know for sure that's was it was for me. the heat and humidity difference from my home state vs. running in hawaii.

Yeah swelling is the only thing I can think of. Possibly from elevation change, the long drive to the race or maybe I ate something with tons of sodium i honestly dont know. It was ironman Arizona in Tempe and at the time i was living in Albuquerque so 6 hours drive but Tempe is like 1000 feet and abq is 5500 feet above sea level.

I actually had lots of problems that day, the blisters were just the final nail in my coffin and of the problems I had that day, the blisters were the one I couldn't recover from.

Anyone here Run Commute? I'm thinking of giving it a try. I need to buy a new backpack for everyday use anyway, and I can get a 36L MOLLE Pack from Amazon at a very good price. This is more than big enough to take all my work clothes. I think it's a more efficient use of my time than finishing work, travelling home, getting changed and then going for a run.

Anyone here Run Commute? I'm thinking of giving it a try. I need to buy a new backpack for everyday use anyway, and I can get a 36L MOLLE Pack from Amazon at a very good price. This is more than big enough to take all my work clothes. I think it's a more efficient use of my time than finishing work, travelling home, getting changed and then going for a run.

Running with a backpack is some shit unless it's one made for running/adventure racing. Like a go lite or even some smaller hunting packs can do it.

I never run to commute but I used to finish work on Fridays and run home like 20km I'd just change in the storage closet of the classroom.

I sweat too much and never really had appropriate access to a shower at work so I never bothered. I did used to ride my bike to work when I lived out on the west side of abq, it was like 30km each way. If I got there early enough I could take a shower in the gym locker.

Running with a backpack is some shit unless it's one made for running/adventure racing. Like a go lite or even some smaller hunting packs can do it.

I never run to commute but I used to finish work on Fridays and run home like 20km I'd just change in the storage closet of the classroom.

I sweat too much and never really had appropriate access to a shower at work so I never bothered. I did used to ride my bike to work when I lived out on the west side of abq, it was like 30km each way. If I got there early enough I could take a shower in the gym locker.

Sorry, I should have made it clear: I intend to run home from work. Like you, I can't shower at work.

Thanks for the heads up about the MOLLI Pack. I'll look for something more specific to running.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have made it clear: I intend to run home from work. Like you, I can't shower at work.

Thanks for the heads up about the MOLLI Pack. I'll look for something more specific to running.

Go lite, Gregory, osprey all make stuff that you can run with.

I am a martial artist in mind body and sprit.I also focus on mainly functionaliting (ex. powerlifting for strength of clean/snatches for explosivness....I personally have a negative bias towrds pro body btuilders,as I believe most of the are generally some of the least athletic "athletes' there are an from my personal biased experianced biased dueshbags...Im kind of digressing......I am training for my first professional fight and I find that its a total compromise for me when I hit the weights and tto grain hard and heavy.. A) being that I have 25lbs to lose to get under my target weight of 200lbs,from there I can cut to(I wrestled189 pounds allthrought highschool btw and have the fat to lose..)

Long story short,I am trainin for my first beginer marathon in FL,they seem to have multible ones every month. I feel like lifting weights only feeds my ego in both training for MMA and the marathon.....thoughts? On lifting for speed?

I am a martial artist in mind body and sprit.I also focus on mainly functionaliting (ex. powerlifting for strength of clean/snatches for explosivness....I personally have a negative bias towrds pro body btuilders,as I believe most of the are generally some of the least athletic "athletes' there are an from my personal biased experianced biased dueshbags...Im kind of digressing......I am training for my first professional fight and I find that its a total compromise for me when I hit the weights and tto grain hard and heavy.. A) being that I have 25lbs to lose to get under my target weight of 200lbs,from there I can cut to(I wrestled189 pounds allthrought highschool btw and have the fat to lose..)

Long story short,I am trainin for my first beginer marathon in FL,they seem to have multible ones every month. I feel like lifting weights only feeds my ego in both training for MMA and the marathon.....thoughts? On lifting for speed?
wat

Back