Anyone here run marathons?

Bounz

Love and Rocket
@Black
Reaction score
I normally lift weights (see log) but i tried a marathon and finished 1 sec over the time limit lol

Anyone here do these quite frequently??

@ironwolf does long-distance running- marathons and longer IIRC. Can't recall anyone else out of the regular posters.

Back when I was running I would often do 2-3 runs of 10-15k a week, but I never tried a marathon and nor would I want to.

Majority of posters here are on an endless pursuit of Jakt n Tannedness.. Marathon running will diminish gainz.

Last edited:
Yeah I've done a lot of Marathons. What exactly do you mean when you say 1 second over the time limit??? Most time limits at marathons are generous enough that even people who walk the entire things can usually finish.

What sort of training did you do? Were you smashed at the end of it??? Taking tons of walk breaks??? Tell us the story.

I have run one and i will never do that again.

i'm doing a half marathon in april. that is the longest distance i will ever run. i just have no desire to do a full and it sounds miserable. the half is more of a mental challenge than physical. i really hate running and just wanted to see if i could push myself to do it, otherwise, my normal would be to run 1.5 miles at most just for some light conditioning.

You could just pay a homeless dude to punch you in the face and save some time.

i'm doing a half marathon in april. that is the longest distance i will ever run. i just have no desire to do a full and it sounds miserable. the half is more of a mental challenge than physical. i really hate running and just wanted to see if i could push myself to do it, otherwise, my normal would be to run 1.5 miles at most just for some light conditioning.

In my experience, the full marathon is like 10x more mental than a half even though it's just 2x the distance.

1/2 marathons are fun, i love the feeling of being properly prepared and being able to step on the gas and keep it on for the whole race. Marathons require much more pacing, the 1/2, I feel like I can play with it much more (chasing faster people, trying to stay with faster packs as long as i can, going for broke for the final 5/8/10k...) I try not to play around too much in marathons, just manage everything so I can stay "fresh" as long as possible....cracking at 15 miles is brutal, starting to feel like shit at mile 23-24 isn't so bad.

I actually know a guy who shit himself because he was trying to qualify for Boston and was exactly on his split goals so he didn't want to stop and risk losing the precious minutes. He qualified and went on to do like 2:49 at Boston lol, he says it was worth it.

You could just pay a homeless dude to punch you in the face and save some time.

Homeless people are dirty and smelly though, is rather pay an upstanding citizen who could use a few extra bucks.

Time doesn't matter, a mile is still a mile.

I did a half marathon last year without doing any running prior. I normally do a lot of trail running, but wasn't running last year. I finished in 2:30ish. Slow but still finished. Since I wasn't running at all prior, my feet hurt like hell for a week after. Lesson for me is don't run a half without any training.

Time doesn't matter, a mile is still a mile.

I did a half marathon last year without doing any running prior. I normally do a lot of trail running, but wasn't running last year. I finished in 2:30ish. Slow but still finished. Since I wasn't running at all prior, my feet hurt like hell for a week after. Lesson for me is don't run a half without any training.

I did the same thing with my first marathon....finished in like 4 hours and I think I had a stress fracture In my foot (never went to the doc), just hobbled around for a long time. After I started getting more serious, I ended up breaking 3 hours like 9-10 times or so.

I've done a half. From what I understand, a full marathon is pure mental agony as most bodies tend to crash when they reach the high teens / early twenty mile marks.

I've done a half. From what I understand, a full marathon is pure mental agony as most bodies tend to crash when they reach the high teens / early twenty mile marks.

If you pace yourself wrong that's what happens and that's probably the biggest challenge to a marathon. It's hard to hold back in the first part of the race. That's not such an issue for the 1/2 but for the full, there's always lots of people who do t even finish. They get sucked into the race at the beginning and by 18 miles they are done....add a boring course and that makes it worse. The duke city marathon where I'm from had like a section that was out and back along a perfectly flat/straight bike path like
10+ miles out and back so ~ 20 miles on that path....tons of people quit there.

Even Boston people hammer the first 10k thinking its Boston so they are going to go for broke because of the crowds and wverything but they somehow forget that the first 10k ish of that race is downhill and their legs are smashed early in the race and everything is fucked after all the hassle of qualifiying (not to mention finding hotels and parking at the Boston marathon).

In my experience, the full marathon is like 10x more mental than a half even though it's just 2x the distance.

1/2 marathons are fun, i love the feeling of being properly prepared and being able to step on the gas and keep it on for the whole race. Marathons require much more pacing, the 1/2, I feel like I can play with it much more (chasing faster people, trying to stay with faster packs as long as i can, going for broke for the final 5/8/10k...) I try not to play around too much in marathons, just manage everything so I can stay "fresh" as long as possible....cracking at 15 miles is brutal, starting to feel like shit at mile 23-24 isn't so bad.

I actually know a guy who shit himself because he was trying to qualify for Boston and was exactly on his split goals so he didn't want to stop and risk losing the precious minutes. He qualified and went on to do like 2:49 at Boston lol, he says it was worth it.

I understand what you are saying but for me running half is mentally challenging enough because I dislike running so much, haha. Full, yeah not ever for me.

I understand what you are saying but for me running half is mentally challenging enough because I dislike running so much, haha. Full, yeah not ever for me.

I hear you. Honestly, I'd much rather run a 50 mile trail race than a road marathon any day. Trail running especially mountainous stuff is so much more fun than pounding on the streets for 3 hours.

I hear you. Honestly, I'd much rather run a 50 mile trail race than a road marathon any day. Trail running especially mountainous stuff is so much more fun than pounding on the streets for 3 hours.

I could see myself maybe trying something like that someday, but yeah not 3-4 hours on pavement.

I could see myself maybe trying something like that someday, but yeah not 3-4 hours on pavement.

You should!!! It's a totally different sort of race. Marathons have shitloads of people, all sorts of theatrics, announcers, raffles, all sorts of bullshit.

Ultras usually start in some small town somewhere with like ~20-100 participants so after the first several miles you are often all by yourself. Aid stations are like 10 miles apart instead of every mile, the scenery is better and it's a strange feeling when you are racing and it starts getting dark. It's actually something I miss a lot. When I get back to the states, I want to get full on back into iltra running.

You should!!! It's a totally different sort of race. Marathons have shitloads of people, all sorts of theatrics, announcers, raffles, all sorts of bullshit.

Ultras usually start in some small town somewhere with like ~20-100 participants so after the first several miles you are often all by yourself. Aid stations are like 10 miles apart instead of every mile, the scenery is better and it's a strange feeling when you are racing and it starts getting dark. It's actually something I miss a lot. When I get back to the states, I want to get full on back into iltra running.

yeah, i have 3 or 4 friends at work that do this stuff so it would be easy to get into it.

yeah, i have 3 or 4 friends at work that do this stuff so it would be easy to get into it.

You're lucky. There's basically none of it in Asia. There are a few races here and there but there's basically nothing in the way of a "scene" for it.

Back