Anyone here run marathons?

I don't know if this is why, but Vibram got sued for destroying people's arches, and New Balance was working with Vibram to make those Minimus shoes. I can't find the road Minimus' anymore, just the trail running Minimus' and cross training. I would have bought 5 pairs if I new they were going to do this.

How lame...."Vabram destroyed people's arches". More like people went and read that born to run book and decided to start bare foot running and completely ignored vibrams own guidelines on how to build up your mileage so your body was ready to really run in vibrams.

If I remember correctly, vibrams had an in depth thing where they explained the proper steps which started at wearing the five fingers around the house a few hours a week, then after a month or something, starting to walk around the block etc with them, then eventually running like 5 minutes a few times a week, and building into 15+ minute runs. I think the whole process took months, I followed their advice when I got vibrams years back and ran lots of races with them and never destroyed my arches.

I guess people just bought them and went and did long/hard runs in them....then blamed vibram.

Last edited:
There a lot of minimal models out there and I just bought a pair of NB in all black for work.

No. I'm an adjunct instructor now

I'm what's known as a " fell runner" in England. So basically racing across the mountains, often no paths at all.

It's not really similar to any other type of running. Uphill is often quicker to power-walk on the steepest stuff, and downhill is a test of technique and bravery.

You can get races from anything like 2 miles up to, well, unlimited distance.

I have a 42 mile race on Saturday which has 10500 feet of ascent (about 3000 metres).

Obviously there is the weather to take into account, not to mention navigation, and route choice (the routes are generally unmarked, you get from checkpoint to checkpoint by your own route). In a recent UK championship race, a large section of the front runners got lost in horrific conditions and finished well down the field.

The shorter races are incredibly painful as there is no time to rest, straight up, straight down. At the higher levels, anything under about 10-12 miles is a sprint.

The longer races have a lot more room for pacing and tactics, but obviously the pain of running long distances in the mountains is significant.

Fitness is important, but I am finding to my cost that "toughness" and the ability to work through the battering that the body takes is the hardest part.

For the record I am by no means a top runner. My best 10km is 39mins and half marathon of 1hr40mins. But it's a different skill set in the mountains entirely. I'm usually I'm the top 25-35% in races, best finish is 18th.

Working towards a multi-day race next year of several hundred miles, but there's a long way to go before that becomes reality.

This sport is virtually unknown to the general population of the U.K., probably totally unheard of in the rest of the world.

On second thought my new NB are cross trainerst. Brooks still makes minimalist and I've had 3 pairs.

I think someone already said this but shoefinder.com is a great placeb to find last year's models at less than half than original retail

I work at two of them and all is well. There's only so much available though.
Glad to hear it. My friends in PHD land who've taken Adjunct positions are working.....wages distinctly less than my high-school drop-out ass is making, with substantially less security.

The money isn't bad but certainly not what I was making from the career I supposedly retired from early. About half the jobs pay into the teachers retirement system And I can use that to buy credit in the one I was in. The other half off my jobs 10-99 me which cuts my net income by nearly 40% and that goes to social security.

Job security? I have a little more than a migrant worker in front of the Home Depot and that's always on my mind.

The money isn't bad but certainly not what I was making from the career I supposedly retired from early. About half the jobs pay into the teachers retirement system And I can use that to buy credit in the one I was in. The other half off my jobs 10-99 me which cuts my net income by nearly 40% and that goes to social security.

Job security? I have a little more than a migrant worker in front of the Home Depot and that's always on my mind.

You were a cop, ever considered law school?

You might also look into being a teacher. Not as exciting as being a cop but some places will pay for a masters degree and schools pretty much always need teachers, especially male teachers who can keep shit in line. When I used to work as a teacher, there were lots of ex cops and ex military guys teaching.

Last edited:
I love the minimus trails. I had the road ones but the drainage hole justs get your feet wet in the rain. I wish I could get the black ones, mine are alright but sadly bright blue

I love the minimus trails. I had the road ones but the drainage hole justs get your feet wet in the rain. I wish I could get the black ones, mine are alright but sadly bright blue

I hate black shoes. They make my feet look small and it always looks strange to me.

I'm what's known as a " fell runner" in England. So basically racing across the mountains, often no paths at all.

It's not really similar to any other type of running. Uphill is often quicker to power-walk on the steepest stuff, and downhill is a test of technique and bravery.

You can get races from anything like 2 miles up to, well, unlimited distance.

I have a 42 mile race on Saturday which has 10500 feet of ascent (about 3000 metres).

Obviously there is the weather to take into account, not to mention navigation, and route choice (the routes are generally unmarked, you get from checkpoint to checkpoint by your own route). In a recent UK championship race, a large section of the front runners got lost in horrific conditions and finished well down the field.

The shorter races are incredibly painful as there is no time to rest, straight up, straight down. At the higher levels, anything under about 10-12 miles is a sprint.

The longer races have a lot more room for pacing and tactics, but obviously the pain of running long distances in the mountains is significant.

Fitness is important, but I am finding to my cost that "toughness" and the ability to work through the battering that the body takes is the hardest part.

For the record I am by no means a top runner. My best 10km is 39mins and half marathon of 1hr40mins. But it's a different skill set in the mountains entirely. I'm usually I'm the top 25-35% in races, best finish is 18th.

Working towards a multi-day race next year of several hundred miles, but there's a long way to go before that becomes reality.

This sport is virtually unknown to the general population of the U.K., probably totally unheard of in the rest of the world.

That sounds sick. I've hear doc fell running before but they only really do it in the uk. I did one in Alaska called the mt.marathon race, it was only like 3-4 miles but straight up then down.

I did another cool one called the wasatxh steeple chase in Utah.

When I get back to the states I'm only going to do cool super hard mountain races.

It was incredibly hard. At the start we were given dire warnings about the weather, but it turned out fine.

First 18 miles were perfect, but stopping to take on extra food at the checkpoint, and another huge climb, took it out of me.

Made up a few places in the second half of the route with some good route choices. Was glad to finish in10 and a half hours. Spent most of the final hour hallucinating, which makes reading a map very difficult!

It was incredibly hard. At the start we were given dire warnings about the weather, but it turned out fine.

First 18 miles were perfect, but stopping to take on extra food at the checkpoint, and another huge climb, took it out of me.

Made up a few places in the second half of the route with some good route choices. Was glad to finish in10 and a half hours. Spent most of the final hour hallucinating, which makes reading a map very difficult!

Cool good job. I did a 50 mile race once that started at night. I hallucinated pretty bad and it made it really weird in the dark. Hallucinating while running mountains makes it tough too.

Did my half marathon yesterday. My time was terrible by the standard of some of you in this thread. Goodness a few of you are beasts!

Anyway, this was my first distance run. I've never done even a 5k before. I pretty much have always hated running honestly, but wanted to mentally challenge myself to do this. My training over last 4 months was abysmal. I got sick 3 times (a danger when you work in a hospital), had a weird heel issue/pain, and close to the race had some left shin splint pain. Never really got on a roll with training, but I just did what I could when I could.

Being my first race I wasn't really aiming for an awesome time, it was all about just finishing. However, realistically I figured around 2.5 hours I could manage. I ended up at 3 hours. Why? Because at mile 6 both feet started blistering bad. Over the next few miles I stopped 3 times to tape them up. The sweat kept making the tape slide off so I had to readjust and retape. The last 3 miles I just said screw it and just ran through the pain.

I was running in Hawaii and I think it was the heat and humidity that made the difference. I never had issues at home on the training runs. I flew in a week early to actually see if this would be the case, but on the shorter runs in HI leading up to this weekend I didn't have issues. It was only when after a bit longer distance that problems came up.

So I actually surprisingly felt great running and if the blisters didn't cause me to stop and also slow my pace I actually think I could have hit between 2 and 2.5 hours. I would have been really proud of myself for that, again considering how much I dislike running. Still, I'm proud I actually did one of these things.

Back