Anyone else obsessed with pickles?

IDGETKTFO

White Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have always loved pickles, but over the past few years pickles have got soo expensive, and some of my favorite pickles have been discontinued. This has sent me on a rabbit hole into pickling my own. I always liked Claussen, but Grillo's are by far better. But these types are expensive, yet easy to make. Belive it or not, the hardest type to make is a very very tart/sour dill pickle. In particular, Heinz whole dills and Heinz hamburger dill chips. Both have been discontinued last year. If you never had them, they are similar to McDonalds pickle slices. What makes these so difficult to copy is the process in which they are made. What makes them soo tart/sour without being too strong smell/too pungent flavor is they are naturally fermented ( salt + water = lactic acid ) then they are canned with a blend of citric acid, lactic acid ( from the fermentation process ) and acetic acid ( white distilled vinegar ). I have a low tolerance to acetic acid which is why i have had such trouble making a very tart/sour dill pickle. I hate Kosher dill pickles. Most have added sugar, and i hate sugar in pickles. Also not a fan of garlic in canned pickles. Refigerator pickles i don't mind garlic.

Anyway, anyone else into pickling and fermenting pickles? ANyone else try to make really tart/sour pickles without ending of with cucumbers tasting like straight harsh vinegar?

Pickles are are a nasty bastard version of a cucumber. The only time I eat them are when I get muscle spasms and the pickle juice helps.
I probably should not have posted in this thread.

I like pickles and gherkins and have them interchangeably.

Many fermented foods are good for you.
Pickles, kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, pickled ginger, etc.
help promote a healthy gut climate.
it's science.
Yes it is. I have already graduated to fermentation using a lid with a airlock and a ball valve to remove air from the jar. And a digital PH meter to make sure my ferment reaches a ph under 4 within 3 - 4 days.

I have always loved pickles, but over the past few years pickles have got soo expensive, and some of my favorite pickles have been discontinued. This has sent me on a rabbit hole into pickling my own. I always liked Claussen, but Grillo's are by far better. But these types are expensive, yet easy to make. Belive it or not, the hardest type to make is a very very tart/sour dill pickle. In particular, Heinz whole dills and Heinz hamburger dill chips. Both have been discontinued last year. If you never had them, they are similar to McDonalds pickle slices. What makes these so difficult to copy is the process in which they are made. What makes them soo tart/sour without being too strong smell/too pungent flavor is they are naturally fermented ( salt + water = lactic acid ) then they are canned with a blend of citric acid, lactic acid ( from the fermentation process ) and acetic acid ( white distilled vinegar ). I have a low tolerance to acetic acid which is why i have had such trouble making a very tart/sour dill pickle. I hate Kosher dill pickles. Most have added sugar, and i hate sugar in pickles. Also not a fan of garlic in canned pickles. Refigerator pickles i don't mind garlic.

Anyway, anyone else into pickling and fermenting pickles? ANyone else try to make really tart/sour pickles without ending of with cucumbers tasting like straight harsh vinegar?

I get these sweet and hot pickles that are fantastic.

They're called Sweet Heat bread and butter pickles by Mt Olive.

What makes \\them soo tart/sour without being too strong smell/too pungent flavor is they are naturally fermented ( salt + water = lactic acid ) then they are canned with a blend of citric acid, lactic acid ( from the fermentation process ) and acetic acid ( white distilled vinegar ).
I have already graduated to fermentation using a lid with a airlock and a ball valve to remove air from the jar. And a digital PH meter to make sure my ferment reaches a ph under 4 within 3 - 4 days.

Cool info, soon your home made will the be best.
Why under 4 ph within 3 - 4 days ? What water starting ph is? THANX IN ADVANCE !

Sweet Heat bread and butter pickles by Mt Olive.
Most common ones sold my way, good stuff.​

it's science.
Actual Facts ! PH stuff for pickles is deep.​

I enjoy most pickles. A shot of pickle juice or eating them is a great electrolyte source post workout.

I've canned them a few times. All you need is a good brine recipe and time.

Cool info, soon your home made will the be best.
Why under 4 ph within 3 - 4 days ? What water starting ph is? THANX IN ADVANCE !

I use Distilled water which should be zero ph. 3-4 days is when the fermentation starts to happen which converts to lactic acid. By day 4 or possibly day 5 the PH should drop to 4 or lower. 3.2 ph is optimal but my take 14 days to reach. But will produce a very tart/sour product. ( thats what i want )

it's science.

Fermented rice is also good, contains gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) which is a neurotransmitter inhibitor, helps with sleep and is anti-anxiety.

I routinely get kefir and sauerkraut in my diet, and every now and then some kimchi, fermented ginger, fermented turmeric, and been sprouting and fermenting rice.
Raw organic cheddar cheese too.

Wtf did I just watch ffs? Lol

Chris Chan is an internet celebrity and The Pickle Man is one of his great nemeses. Chris's severe autism makes him ultra gullible and his shenanigans attract loads of trolls. He hated pickles ever since he was a kid because they reminded him of dicks, so it's something his trolls latched on to. I guess the best incident involving The Pickle Man was when they set Chris up on a fake date with some chick, and in the middle of the date The Pickle Man showed up and stole the girl off him via big dick energy

Chris Chan is an internet celebrity and The Pickle Man is one of his great nemeses. Chris's severe autism makes him ultra gullible and his shenanigans attract loads of trolls. He hated pickles ever since he was a kid because they reminded him of dicks, so it's something his trolls latched on to. I guess the best incident involving The Pickle Man was when they set Chris up on a fake date with some chick, and in the middle of the date The Pickle Man showed up and stole the girl off him via big dick energy

Lmfao, I'm almost sad I didn't know about this sir.

I am equally sad i now know about this mam.

Look, if you wanna get your panties in a bunch about me saying it to you... that's one thing, but Im not going to stop talkin the way I do because your vagina has sand in it over a word.

*Ma'am.....If you're gonna spell it...spell it right ffs.

Look, if you wanna get your panties in a bunch about me saying it to you... that's one thing, but Im not going to stop talkin the way I do because your vagina has sand in it over a word.

*Ma'am.....If you're gonna spell it...spell it right ffs.
Listen, Ma'am, If you don't like me giving you shit about it, stay the fuck out of my threads. I have not gone into your threads in awhile.
btw, nice yellow, you want another?

Back