Anthony Pettis: I Couldnt See Out of My Right Eye The Whole Time

Watching that first punch land and seeing his head snap back while it happened live, I said to myself, I think his eye is fucked.

after hearing him confirm it, it was no surprise.

Ah, well, then I don't know what the deal is.

Well try not to get punched in the face.

"I couldn't see but no excuses!"

"The eye closed up on me but no excuses!"

"I didn't have any peripheral vision but no excuses!"

It would have been complete if he threw in the classic "not trying to take anything away from *insert name here* but *insert excuse here*

You guys are ridiculous. What do you want him to say?

No peripheral vision or no vision at all?

I also like the fact that people are using getting hit as an excuse now.

Why do nerds always want a fighter to say: i lost because i suck..

People want to hear fighters say "I lost" or "I lost because 'x'" even. Not "I lost because 'x' but no excuses."

They make an excuse and then say no excuse.

You guys are ridiculous. What do you want him to say?

“Man, [dos Anjos] caught me with some good shots,” he said to Joe Rogan during the post-fight interview, “Bruised and busted me up a bit, I’ve got to go back to the gym and train.”

or even

“Man, [dos Anjos] caught me with the left hand, the first punch he threw, closed up my eye,” he said to Joe Rogan during the post-fight interview, “I’ve got to go back to the gym and train.”

it's not like a fan sprayed something in his eye on the way to the cage, he couldn't see out of his eye because dos anjos was smashing his face with his fists

Because people still don't get it and this thread needed to be made a third time today:
Rogan: "Why did you lose to JDS?"
Werdum: "Because I didn't see that uppercut coming until it was too late, and it knocked me out."
Sherdog: "OMG, BRAZILIANS AND THEIR EXCUSES JUST SAY YOU LOST!"

Rogan: "Why did you lose to Cain?"
JDS: "I don't know, he hit me so hard in round 2 that I have no memory of what I did in rounds 3, 4, or 5."
Sherdog: "STUPID BRAZIL EXCUSES HE DOESN'T WANT TO ADMIT HE LOST THOSE ROUNDS!"

Anik: "Why did you lose to Dillashaw?"
Barao: "He practically TKO'd me round 1 and it went downhill from there."
Sherdog: "RAAAAAAAAAGGGEE!"

Helwani: "Pettis isn't here. Did he tell you why he thinks he lost to Dos Anjos?"
White: "He said RDA did some serious damage to his eye in rounds 1 and 2 and it was all he could do after that to not get finished. He still can't see out it, but the doctors say it will be ok."
Sherdog: "WAAAAAAAAAH!"

Not all explanations are excuses. It's good if fighters can think of specific reasons for why they lost and adapt accordingly. If you don't want to hear a fighter analyze their loss, then stop listening when the interviewer asks them to. I swear, most of the people who cry about this only do so because they want to believe that each fighter gave 110% and that no rematch could possibly go any differently. A fighter who says "I did everything right and I still lost because he's better than me at everything" is a fighter who refuses to improve.

He believed he was the P4P GOAT before this fight and that he was on "another level." Of course he is using it as an excuse. Anyone saying otherwise is a fool.

And I don't even believe it. He probably could see through it the entire time, but his ego is so big he thinks he was blinded and that's why he lost.

It's not an excuse, dummies, because it was RDA shutting down Pettis eye. Or would you say 'oh he caught me on the chin' is an excuse too?

Does anyone know what the word excuse means? List of popular "excuses" according to Sherdog:

"He punched me in the face and blinded me" along with classics like:
"He caught me"
"He tapped me with a RNC"
"He passed my guard and locked in a kimura"

Sick of these goddamn excuses wah wah wah.

There was definitely something off about him, but shit happens.

Not a close fight at all so no immediate rematch. Make him win a few fights before title shot

Read the other replies. He just answered what rda did to take control of the fight early. It wasn't an excuse

Enough with the rematches. Even if he couldn't see out of his eye that's what can happen when you get punched. It's just a part of the game - you get beat up in this sport!

How is it making an excuse when he was explaining his performance?

I... don't like some of you people.

Back