Amir Khan V Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez 155lbs May 7th

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But you know what product you're buying. It's not like you're buying a Pepsi and it tastes different every day. You're also not purchasing a subscription, which would make your ranting at least slightly defensible.

You are asking for something extra. You're saying that because you've bought fights in the past, you (or "the fans", however you want to spin it) are owed more good fights. I fundamentally disagree with that. You're owed the fight you bought. If you don't like the next one, don't buy it.

But it's pretty clear to me that you feel entitled to entertainment, and that you deserve it - for some hand-wavy reason. Can't say I agree with that.

I don't feel entitled to be entertained, I feel entitled for a sport to be an actual sport based on competition, not easy pay days.

Well, both Golovkin and Canelo are going to be a fair bit richer. For them, that's hardly a lateral move. During both fights, the Canelo/Golovkin fight is going to be discussed extensively, and it's going to serve as another occassion to get the fight in the public's consciousness. Finally, we have to look at what the alternatives were. MW is very shallow right now and almost completely devoid of names. The other big name in the division right now is Danny Jacobs and there is way too much politics to expect that fight to get made before Canelo/Golovkin in April or May of this year. You can basically count any Haymon fighter out of fighting on HBO before Canelo/Golovkin happens, and probably after that, so you have Quillin out of the equation, as well (along with many of the top JMWs who would offer both Canelo and Golovkin some interesting challenges). Maybe Lemieux would have been available for Canelo, but there is not a lot to gain for him in that matchup, and Lemieux isn't an opponent without risk (which does matter if the clear end goal is Canelo/Golovkin). From all accounts it seemed like Saunders was selling his belt for too steep a price, so that was off the table.

When everyone is basically just waiting for Golovkin/Canelo and the rest of the division is mostly devoid of talent and name fighters, both of these fights are easily overlooked by the majority of paying fans, and the three main parties involved (Canelo/GBP, Golovkin/K2, and HBO) are all happy.

So you think it has more to do with the lack of depth of talent in certain divisions? Could be that, I never really considered it. I always looked at boxing as having a wealth of talent in most divisions.

Its odd because fight odds usually get smaller as fight night closes in.

Sometimes, especially since books tend to open lines with more vig so the odds get better once they lighten the juice but also with Canelo the public is gonna come in later and snatch him up, even at high prices. Sharps and public would've probably both jumped on Canelo's opener imo. Also if you look at the lines now they've already gone up, Canelo opened around -350, if I'm not mistaken, he's already up to -420, Khan up to +335. I'm terrible with line movement but I expect it to climb even more in the interim. I would've hit Canelo hard at -350 but I don't want to tie up money that I'll inevitably want to degen bet this far out and I already missed out on the price anyway.

I dont believe GGG wanted a tune up either
Of course you don't because you hate Canelo.
Im pretty sure after he beat Cotto you were running around here like a mad man. You had Cotto winning didn't you?

Disagree entirely. Canelo catches more flack than most fighters.

Let me ask, who would you pick if Khan and Wade fought?

Canelo only catches flack because he tries to fight in his own weight class of 155 while fighting 147 pound fighters.

Khan vs wade ah I dont know id say khan could out point him but I dont know much about wade. if he is about the same lvl as algieri id say wade puts khan to sleep because im sure khan cant take a mw punch if algieri was stunning him.

So you think it has more to do with the lack of depth of talent in certain divisions? Could be that, I never really considered it. I always looked at boxing as having a wealth of talent in most divisions.

MW certainly doesn't right now. There are plenty of MWs better than Wade and Khan, but it's not a particularly hot division. An old blown up Miguel Cotto was genuinely elite in the division, don't forget.

Im pretty sure after he beat Cotto you were running around here like a mad man. You had Cotto winning didn't you?
Um no LMAO. Check my post history, i dont HATE Canelo at all. I cant recall who i picked, but i was glad Canelo won because i like that "boxing" has big stars and heis our next. Then he fights a chinny WW, so i call him out on it. If GGG were to fight JMM for his tune up i would slay him aswell.

Do you really believe that going into the negotiating that GGG didnt want the fight straight away? You dont think he just had to agree because Canelo is the huge star and he had no choice but to agree? If not, good for you. By the way you are the only one who runs around sayng random shit like a "madman" LMAO.

Yep just doubled checked i picked Canelo by KO.

Yall know that Khan is gonna win a decision here right?

I asked earlier but didnt see responses, who would yall pick between Khan and Wade?

I asked earlier but didnt see responses, who would yall pick between Khan and Wade?
I have never seen Wade fight. Never even heard of him. I'll watch some clips and get back to you.

I have never seen Wade fight. Never even heard of him. I'll watch some clips and get back to you.
Before anyone jumps on me for that, Im in no way validating the matchup. I just think its an interesting perspective.

I'd take Wade based on size.

I guess Canelo likes to bully smaller guys.

^well it was GB and Canelo who reached out to Khan for the fight. Canelo is pretty much in a position where he can dictate terms and opponents.

and it trickles over into the content robjenkins2 is talking about, for the sports sake I'd like to see the best match ups possible, but the only reason these showcase/tune up style fights get made is because they'll make money. Compare the PPV buys for Canelo-Cotto (just under 1 million buys) to GGG-Lemieux (150k) and from a financial standpoint why on earth would Canelo fight Golovkin if he doesn't have to?

for all the flack Canelo-Khan is getting, if Monroe Jr or Rosado were picked instead of Khan, how would either of those fights have been received?

Another poster beat me to it, but if you are really that offended/turned off by a match up then don't watch it. Khan-Canelo isn't on free tv (ESPN/CBS) or Premium cable (HBO) it's on pay per view, meaning you'll have to go out of your way to see it.

When Canelo/Golovkin fight, Saul is going to get a huge portion of the PPV based on previous numbers. I think that's why Khan was picked more than anything. They wanted an interim fight, and they want to be on the right side of things during negotiations - oh, and the immediate paycheck too.

I think 70/30 on a potential Canelo/GGG PPV is reasonable given what each guy has proven they can draw. Canelo drew more than twice the numbers fighting Angulo, compared to Golovkin/Lemieux, and I think those two fights are pretty comparable.

I'd take Wade based on size.
I think Khan smashes him. Had never heard of this guy until recently and Im wildly unimpressed. Thought he lost to Soliman and lmao at getting dropped by Dashon Johnson.

Back