Amir Khan talking crap about Conor

Can verify... This is a REAL ACTUAL COACH. With several high level martial arts credentials in multiple disciplines. Somebody who actually is involved and does the sport.
This is not the opinion of somebody whos knowledge comes from simply watching a lot of fights and posting about them.
I would take heed to what this guy says.
Thanks dude. I actually agree with him that a boxer is more dangerous in MMA than vice versa. I didn't think people still thought grappling is as easy as having good balance in 2017 lmao. Go to your local high school wrestling practice and report back how well that went for you.

As I said boxing is PART of mma but MMA isn't part of boxing. If Amir has been REALLY training wrestling/BJJ with high level grapplers for a few years now then I'd give him a much better shot but any fighter at the UFC level is competent enough in grappling to rape any pro boxer (that again hasn't trained a few years worth of TD defense) and good enough on the feet to survive long enough to get it there. Whether they choose to do that is a diff story, though.

In this hypothetical matchup, I think Conor's ego wouldn't allow him not to stand and he'd get starched, though.

Thanks dude. I actually agree with him that a boxer is more dangerous in MMA than vice versa. I didn't think people still thought grappling is as easy as having good balance in 2017 lmao. Go to your local high school wrestling practice and report back how well that went for you.

As I said boxing is PART of mma but MMA isn't part of boxing. If Amir has been REALLY training wrestling/BJJ with high level grapplers for a few years now then I'd give him a much better shot but any fighter at the UFC level is competent enough in grappling to rape any pro boxer (that again hasn't trained a few years worth of TD defense) and good enough on the feet to survive long enough to get it there. Whether they choose to do that is a diff story, though.

In this hypothetical matchup, I think Conor's ego wouldn't allow him not to stand and he'd get starched, though.

The bolded part here is really what's noteworthy. I also feel that Conor's bravado would make it very hard to resist the temptation of not looking to box with Khan. A much more competitive fight would be a handicapped match under the unified rules of MMA. Sanction it as hand fighting only, and if that can't be done, then have them both sign a contract that whoever breaks the rule gets penalized a hefty percentage of their respective purse. I'd much rather see an "MMA Boxing" match than Amir just coming to the UFC to fight Conor. We both know that if Conor wanted to he could just kick him from the outside (kicking range) using a variety of kicking techniques he already possesses, low, mid (body) and high.

Or, he could do that and then shoot for a TD whether that's a single or double. The point you made about a boxer's stance being squared up making it much easier to grab a double leg is definitely true and also applies to the Muay Thai stance too due to how square it is. Some boxers take more of their body off the center line, like Floyd, and their stance is bladed so getting a double would be harder but it's doable even if they have a great base considering how many options there are off a single leg. I have a wrestling background, boxing and I trained MMA for a few years myself but never coached. But yeah, Conor knows how to wrestle. As far as takedowns he knows how to hit a single and double leg, how to turn the corner and run the pipe, transition from a single to double, chase the ankle & use trip finishes among others, has basic chain wrestling, has clinch takedowns in his arsenal, and so on.

When Couture fought Toney he went for the low single. That was smart because Toney couldn't punch him, he was too low for that to be possible. However, if Toney actually had some grappling chops then he could've stepped out of it and looked to take his back (or soccer kicked or stomped if the rules had allowed it). But, he knew Toney didn't have any grappling background so he risked it, got it first try and then got the arm triangle choke after advancing position.

Last edited:
Amir is all wrong for any MMA fighter to try and box.
He's a fast starter, throws really fast direct punches to the body and head, and has quick feet to.

McGregor would be mentally overwhelmed. Probably shut down and get stopped.

Beat me to it. This is basically what I was thinking as well.

That last thing I agree with and my whole coaching mantra is teaching fundamental boxing based MMA while also making sure my guys are adept with at least defending in the other areas. There's quite a few things that need tweaked and adjusted and it has nothing to do with a boxer being less tough. I know this is a boxing forum but you don't just learn enough in a training camp to defend against a high level grappler. TD and sub defense is a skill that must be honed over time.
I never had a problem understanding body control, leverage and balance. I never saw TD defense much different than shedding a block or avoiding a tackle. And honestly it wasnt hard for me to stay standing. Maybe all the guys I trained with sucked or something, but some of you guys act like it's some kind of great science. Maybe some guys just have a harder time getting it and you've seen the gamut of dudes, but I'm just saying from personal experience. I'd been playing physical sports my whole life since 5 yrs old and I was pretty good at it by the time I got to 18yrs old. So physical mano-a-mano using leverage and not letting the other guy control you or where you go wasn't a new thing by the time I started MMA training. So if that was honed over time it must've been the years playing other sports. And that's been my whole point. If a guy is a good athlete and can already fight, learning some of those other skills may not be too difficult for him.

Last edited:
Can verify... This is a REAL ACTUAL COACH. With several high level martial arts credentials in multiple disciplines. Somebody who actually is involved and does the sport.
This is not the opinion of somebody whos knowledge comes from simply watching a lot of fights and posting about them.
I would take heed to what this guy says.
Thats all well and good and I have much respect for that. All I've been saying is it isn't all that hard for some guys to pick up or even NATURALLY be able to handle it.

That's exactly how I see it. Conor's game is standing, why wouldn't he still try to do what he does? You know as well as anybody, guys have habits, and very seldom can they be consistent in applying a strategy that is different from what they normally do. Conor isn't going to all of a sudden be shooting for a double.

I never had a problem understanding leverage and using my legs and balance. I never saw TD defense much different than shedding a block or avoiding a tackle. Some of you guys act like it's some kind of great science. Maybe some guys just have a harder time getting it and you've seen the gamut of dudes, but I'm just saying from personal experience. I'd been playing physical sports my whole life since 5 yrs old and I was pretty good at it by the time I got to 18yrs old. So physical mano-a-mano using leverage and not letting the other guy control you or where you go wasn't a new thing by the time I started MMA training. So if that was honed over time it must've been the years playing other sports. And that's been my whole point. If a guy is a good athlete and can already fight, learning some of those other skills may not be too difficult for him.
I bolded the key word in your whole post. We'll just agree to disagree. I have actual experience in both and I'll be happy to PM you my credentials from both. Honestly, go to your local MMA gym (wearing sweet tapout gear of course) and try a grappling class and I guarantee your whole opinion will change when some unathletic, skinny white geek taps you at will. Shit, your average athletic Joe would get owned at a HS wrestling practice.

And boxing is no more a skill than wrestling. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Just like you couldn't box an competent boxer with just decent athleticism, you couldn't do it with a competent grappler. I thought this was hashed out in like UFC 1 lmao. I'm in no way insinuating grappling>boxing but without legit technical understanding of TD, sub defense and TDD, you gonna get raped in MMA esp at the highest level where everyone is at least a good grappler. Yes, some guys will pick up aspects of MMA up quicker than others but it still takes years to build that technical acumen in all of the diff facets. I will say that it's easier to LEARN how to defend wrestling/bjj than actually get good at it but it still takes years to be able to defend high level grapplers.

That being said, I complete agree with you that a boxer is more dangerous in MMA (not at the elite level) than vice versa. Boxing backgrounds are actually kind of an untapped resource in MMA and as I said my whole coaching mantra is based around modified boxing fundamentals for MMA. A solid boxer with good TD defense and a dangerous sub game is the perfect MMA fighter in my eyes.

That's exactly how I see it. Conor's game is standing, why wouldn't he still try to do what he does? You know as well as anybody, guys have habits, and very seldom can they be consistent in applying a strategy that is different from what they normally do. Conor isn't going to all of a sudden be shooting for a double.

Oh, you mean like he did when he ate a clean 1, 2 from Diaz and was wobbled? Then got choked out ten seconds later. That's with years of wrestling and BJJ under his belt.

giphy.gif

He also took down Max successfully a few times. He's an MMA fighter, he can grapple.

I do think he'll try to stand and bang, though, and that most likely will lead to him getting torched.

I bolded the key word in your whole post. We'll just agree to disagree. I have actual experience in both and I'll be happy to PM you my credentials from both. Honestly, go to your local MMA gym (wearing sweet tapout gear of course) and try a grappling class and I guarantee your whole opinion will change when some unathletic, skinny white geek taps you at will. Shit, your average athletic Joe would get owned at a HS wrestling practice.

And boxing is no more a skill than wrestling. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Just like you couldn't box an competent boxer with just decent athleticism, you couldn't do it with a competent grappler. I thought this was hashed out in like UFC 1 lmao. I'm in no way insinuating grappling>boxing but without legit technical understanding of TD, sub defense and TDD, you gonna get raped in MMA esp at the highest level where everyone is at least a good grappler. Yes, some guys will pick up aspects of MMA up quicker than others but it still takes years to build that technical acumen in all of the diff facets. I will say that it's easier to LEARN how to defend wrestling/bjj than actually get good at it but it still takes years to be able to defend high level grapplers.

That being said, I complete agree with you that a boxer is more dangerous in MMA (not at the elite level) than vice versa. Boxing backgrounds are actually kind of an untapped resource in MMA and as I said my whole coaching mantra is based around modified boxing fundamentals for MMA. A solid boxer with good TD defense and a dangerous sub game is the perfect MMA fighter in my eyes.
I believe you sir....Would it make more sense if I said "felt"? I never had a problem with guys taking me down. Is that clearer? And yes, thats all ive been saying, defending TDs isnt all that hard to learn or do. Wrestling is a bitch and I wouldnt try to beat a wrestler by wrestling him. I'd keep it on my feet move around defend a TD and try to put his lights out, because thats what I do best. I dont see what he problem is. All of these arts are things to respect, wrestling, grappling boxing, kicking, BJJ etc. Understand Im not discounting any of it. The point is from the beginning, it's not a cakewalk if they fight MMA, a high level guy like Kahn might surprise us.

Handle TDs.....Sub defense is a whole other problem though I will agree with that.
So why can't MMA fighters that are just athletic as you stop TDs and they've been training then for 10 years?

I believe you sir....Would it make more sense if I said felt? I never had a problem with guys taking me down. Is that clearer? And yes, thats all ive been saying, defending TDs isnt all that. Wrestling is a bitch and I wouldnt try to beat a wrestler by wrestling him. I'd keep it on my feet move around defend a TD and try to put his lights out, because thats what I do best. I dont see what he problem is. All of these arts are things to respect, wrestling, grappling boxing, kicking, BJJ etc. Understand Im not discounting any of it. The point is from the beginning, it's not a cakewalk if they fight MMA, a high level guy like Kahn might surprise us.
I gotcha now. But still think your downplaying it quite a bit. Some of your buddies trying to take you down is completely different than an accomplished grappler.

I'd still watch Khan fight Conor either way, though, because it would be quite intriguing when Conor decides to stand. Doubt this shit ever happens. There's quite a few boxers that I think could do well in MMA with a few years of training. Especially some of the Eastern Bloc guys that have some background.

So why can't MMA fighters that are just athletic as you stop TDs and they've been training then for 10 years?
I've yet to see an MMA fighter as athletic as I was at 24.:D

I've yet to see an MMA fighter as athletic as I was at 24.:D
I'd put Yoel Romero athleticism up against just about anyone but there's a pretty dramatic falloff after him lmao.

And guess what? He's a wrestler.

I'd put Yoel Romero athleticism up against just about anyone but there's a pretty dramatic falloff after him lmao.

And guess what? He's a wrestler.
Hah nice! But Yoel can't run a 4.4.:cool:

Handle TDs.....Sub defense is a whole other problem though I will agree with that.
People get taken down easier than they get submitted. So i dont get that.
There is nothing natural about stopping a takedown from a high level wrestler. Have you ever rolled with a D1 wrestler your weight or bigger?

People get taken down easier than they get submitted. So i dont get that.
There is nothing natural about stopping a takedown from a high level wrestler. Have you ever rolled with a D1 wrestler your weight or bigger?
Rolled with?? Hell nah I knocked him out, fuck going to the ground.

Back