Amir Khan talking crap about Conor

Conor would beat Khan worse in MMA than Khan would in boxing.

A younger Khan could have made a big impact crossing over into MMA. He'd be the fastest thing any of them ever saw.

I agree that a boxer would stand no chance on the ground but i think the gulf in skill with respect to foot work is being ignored (maintaing good balance, controlling range, moving off the backfoot).

I'd really only give a boxer with good to great feet any shot in an MMA fight.

Against Amir: I think McGregor would struggle to cut off the octogan, muchless get his hands on or take him down.
I can see that but it's like a guy in a boxing match that decides he doesn't care if he wins he just doesn't want to get KO'd.

The boxing style has already been adapted to MMA so I don't see Khan having much chance unless he's been training with a good team. He's not going to go out there and dazzle with amazing footwork and handspeed.

He might make a good payday but it does come with risk to his physical health. Conor might not be great on the ground but he does have good kicks to the stomach and knees. He also won't have the benefit of standing 8s or being free from risk once he hits the ground.

A younger Khan could have made a big impact crossing over into MMA. He'd be the fastest thing any of them ever saw.
The hyperbole by Rogan and company would be off the charts

Imagine if the UFC has someone as athletic as khan in the Zuffa era ?

Who says I don't post here? I posted here a few times this week...

I did stumble across this.

Yes I know they're goofing around/there's a size difference/guy has no idea what to do amongst other things and I have no idea who the "pro" is and don't feel like researching but it highlights how easy it would be for Canor to shoot a TD. It's literally the first thing he does after flinging out a kick or two. Good evasive boxing footwork is only gonna get you so far. Canor could easily feint a 1>2>level change for a TD. Not to mention the added dimension the threat of a TD adds to striking. The Mayweather strategy would only keep you afoot for so long. At some point he'd have to engage.

If amir CAN keep it on the feet, whether from miraculously learning tdd or Conor choosing to keep it there, then he starches Conor at some point. You'll get no argument from me there.

I've seen this video a couple times. It was posted on YouTube and I'm from the YTBC and follow some of the MMA channels there so I saw it when it was published about 2 years ago or around there. Before that I used to post over at Sherdog's rival site, mixedmartialarts.com in the UG, starting about 10 years ago. The pro boxer in the vid is decent but definitely wasn't/isn't a Top 10 ranked fighter in his division (Featherweight). He's been knocked out twice in his last two outings. The best he's been able to do was challenge for an alphabet world title (WBC) against Gary Russell Jr. in the fight before his last (was knocked down 3 times in the 2nd and stopped) and previously in 2012 for an interim WBA world title where he lost a UD to Fortuna, which isn't saying much. The simple days of just sprawl & brawl are long gone unless you're facing a really limited grappler that doesn't know how to chain wrestle at all or know to try for the reshot to get the TD. I'm not telling you anything you already don't know though.

Patrick Hyland - BoxRec

Conor seemingly has Michael Conlan on hand and Carl Frampton up north to sharpen his boxing, despite the size disparity. They could help him improve his boxing skills a lot and help him add much more to his game if he worked with either of them. If Conor could use his lead hand as well as his left then he'd be far more dangerous than he is in MMA now and a more complete fighter.

Back to the video. Conor starts by backing him straight up to the cage (a mistake on Hyland's part) with a kick and kick feints. The double leg he scooped up he really didn't even need to shoot for, he could've just stepped in, level changed and snatched it up since Patrick had his back so close to the cage. When Patrick moved straight back it shows that his sense of spatial awareness in the cage was zero. He didn't know how to navigate in there at all. Conor has the cage craft/generalship and it showed immediately. Each time it hit the ground he just toyed with him since Patrick has no ground game to speak of, and when they were standing, Conor mixed up his striking with his grappling effectively to give him vastly different looks and sold his feints well enough to cause Patrick sensory overload. He was completely baffled by all of what was happening because he'd only ever boxed inside the ring.

Interestingly, at 1:52 Conor throws and lands a Rabona kick for show that Anderson famously used at times during his UFC championship run. At 2:08 Patrick tries for another TD of his own by shooting in for a single leg that he actually got the drop step down for (not great technique but it's there), surprisingly, and the speed was there on it. Conor easily stuffed it with a quick sprawl, got the overhook to use as a whizzer and used head control to turn him over and land on top, where he was immediately able to pass right into full mount. This was a common theme throughout their playful sparring session (getting TDs & full mount at will), but given Patrick being completely one-dimensional, I wasn't the least bit surprised when I first saw this footage released. Conor wouldn't have had to even set up his takedowns to get them. They were there for the taking, the kicks were too, and all of this made Conor's boxing even more successful due to him being so confused about what attack was coming next. He couldn't read what was coming next and doesn't have the skills to defend against anything but Conor's hands.

Last edited:
I've seen this video a couple times. It was posted on YouTube and I'm from the YTBC and follow some of the MMA channels there so I saw it when it was published about 2 years ago or around there. Before that I used to post over at Sherdog's rival site, mixedmartialarts.com in the UG, starting about 10 years ago. The pro boxer in the vid is decent but definitely wasn't/isn't a Top 10 ranked fighter in his division (Featherweight). He's been knocked out twice in his last two outings. The best he's been able to do was challenge for an alphabet world title (WBC) against Gary Russell Jr. in the fight before his last (was knocked down 3 times in the 2nd and stopped) and previously in 2012 for an interim WBA world title where he lost a UD to Fortuna, which isn't saying much. The simple days of just sprawl & brawl are long gone unless you're facing a really limited grappler that doesn't know how to chain wrestle at all or know to try for the reshot to get the TD. I'm not telling you anything you already don't know though.

Patrick Hyland - BoxRec

Conor seemingly has Michael Conlan on hand and Carl Frampton up north to sharpen his boxing, despite the size disparity. They could help him improve his boxing skills a lot and help him add much more to his game if he worked with either of them. If Conor could use his lead hand as well as his left then he'd be far more dangerous than he is in MMA now and a more complete fighter.

Back to the video. Conor starts by backing him straight up to the cage (a mistake on Hyland's part) with a kick and kick feints. The double leg he scooped up he really didn't even need to shoot for, he could've just stepped in, level changed and snatched it up since Patrick had his back so close to the cage. When Patrick moved straight back it shows that his sense of spatial awareness in the cage was zero. He didn't know how to navigate in there at all. Conor has the cage craft/generalship and it showed immediately. Each time it hit the ground he just toyed with him since Patrick has no ground game to speak of, and when they were standing, Conor mixed up his striking with his grappling effectively to give him vastly different looks and sold his feints well enough to cause Patrick sensory overload. He was completely baffled by all of what was happening because he'd only ever boxed inside the ring.

Interestingly, at 1:52 Conor throws and lands a Rabona kick for show that Anderson famously used at times during his UFC championship run. At 2:08 Patrick tries for another TD of his own by shooting in for a single leg that he actually got the drop step down for (not great technique but it's there), surprisingly, and the speed was there on it. Conor easily stuffed it with a quick sprawl, got the overhook to use as a whizzer and used head control to turn him over and land on top, where he was immediately able to pass right into full mount. This was a common theme throughout their playful sparring session (getting TDs & full mount at will), but given Patrick being completely one-dimensional, I wasn't the least bit surprised when I first saw this footage released. Conor wouldn't have had to even set up his takedowns to get them. They were there for the taking, the kicks were too, and all of this made Conor's boxing even more successful due to him being so confused about what attack was coming next. He couldn't read what was coming next and doesn't have the skills to defend against anything but Conor's hands.
Yeah I wasn't trying to get into a super technical breakdown of what happened. I do enough of that shit irl and it's a half assed sparring sesh. I didn't even watch past the 1 min mark or so.

My whole point was Conor knew what the boxer couldn't deal with and his first notable offense (because again, he's an MMA fighter NOT a boxer) was to shoot to capitalize on that. I know you realize that yourself, though.

Yeah I wasn't trying to get into a super technical breakdown of what happened. I do enough of that shit irl and it's a half assed sparring sesh. I didn't even watch past the 1 min mark or so.

My whole point was Conor knew what the boxer couldn't deal with and his first notable offense (because again, he's an MMA fighter NOT a boxer) was to shoot to capitalize on that. I know you realize that yourself, though.

Yeah. Conor knew exactly what he could leverage and exploit. What I was typing out was really for the others to read to try and help them understand how different looks in the form of threats Hyland had to deal with matter, and as a result, how it affected his boxing when they were exchanging. It's like rolling in BJJ. Once you introduce ground strikes it changes things quite substantially if you've never had to deal with them before in a pure submission grappling setting. It changes what guard they'll opt to use, how they'll use it, and so on. They'll want to take it down and be the guy with top control striking in order to open them up for subs. That's assuming their sub defense and control from top position is suitable of course.

Im aware of that. But honestly those things arent that hard to learn. Any decent athlete with good balance has solid takedown defense. Again, its not some mystical thing fighting an MMA'er. Checking kicks? Yeah lift your leg so your body weight isnt planted on the leg and takes all the punishment...getting up off the ground is as elementary as walking. Its the other guys responsibility to keep you down....I dont know man, maybe my experience was different but; I was a boxer since I was 6yrs old. Took up Kenpo when I was 15 as something to do during slow summers, tried out for wrestling in high school (learned how to sprawl) and decided I liked basketball better, played defensive back for football in college. Came out when MMA was getting hot, and gave it a go for a few years, and had no problem with the issues you mentioned. Its not rocket science, any guy that can FIGHT and is a decent athlete has a chance. MMA is still full of guys that had no other athletic option but to do that. There are very few elite athletes in MMA. Do you think if Conor could run fast and control a ball with his feet on the dribble he'd still be doing this? MMA is full of #2s and 3s of other sports.
You have absolutely no clue. I love boxing and it's my favourite by far, but getting up from under a good grappler is crushingly difficult. You can't just sprawl your way out of a takedown if you're fighting a good wrestler either. It takes a lot more than having "good balance" to defend a takedown.

So you've had a few amateur "MMA fights" in some back yard when you were a kid, yet you don't even know what rolling is?

And MMA has no good athletes? Olympic and NCAA div 1 wrestlers are not amazing athletes? MMA has many good athletes, but the beauty of the sport is that the multifaceted nature of the game allows for many attributes, besides raw athleticism, to determine who wins.

Last edited:
You have absolutely no clue. I love boxing and it's my favourite by far, but getting up from under a good grappler is crushingly difficult. You can't just sprawl your way out of a takedown if you're fighting a good wrestler either. It takes a lot more than having "good balance" to defend a takedown.

So you've had a few "amateur" MMA fights in some back yard when you were a kid. Yet you don't even know what rolling is?

And MMA has no good athletes? Olympic and NCAA div 1 wrestlers are not amazing athletes? MMA has many good athletes, but the beauty of the sport is that the multifaceted nature of the game allows for many attributes, besides raw athleticism, to determine who wins.
I wasn't trying to call nasty out in here or anything as he's a really good contributor around here. I think what he's trying to say is Amir is athletic enough to pick up tdd rather quickly. Where the disconnect lies is exactly how quickly he thinks you can pick up solid tdd that's gonna be successful against UFC caliber grapplers. That's gonna take a few years no matter how athletic you are, or how good/fast your footwork is.

I also have a feeling he also hasn't watched McUFC in quite a few years.

As I said, I think in an actual fight, Conor wouldn't just immediately shoot, though, so it definitely is an interesting hypothetical.

I wasn't trying to call nasty out in here or anything as he's a really good contributor around here. I think what he's trying to say is Amir is athletic enough to pick up tdd rather quickly. Where the disconnect lies is exactly how quickly he thinks you can pick up solid tdd that's gonna be successful against UFC caliber grapplers. That's gonna take a few years no matter how athletic you are, or how good/fast your footwork is.

I also have a feeling he also hasn't watched McUFC in quite a few years.

As I said, I think in an actual fight, Conor wouldn't just immediately shoot, though, so it definitely is an interesting hypothetical.
Yeah I might have been a little harsh, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't know. Amir may pick up tdd fast or he may not. It helps being a good athlete, but being a good athlete and picking up a certain sport fast doesn't necessarily correlate. Affinity for specific motor learning and patterns is impossible to predict. That's why someone takes to one sport extremely well, while not taking to others.

I agree with you, if Conor and Amir fought, Conor might be foolhardy enough to keep it standing for a little bit and Amir could flatline him. Either way Conor would probably set it up.

Yeah, how do you get beat worse than getting knocked clean out in less than a minute?

Well, that would BE less than a minute so...

Yeah, how do you get beat worse than getting knocked clean out in less than a minute?
Maybe just in terms of punishment. Conor isn't a limb collector but he can land something to injure Khan's knee or land elbows from the top or maybe get a KO and land a few extra blows before the ref steps in.

So it sounds like you're still in your early 30s. Any of that freak athleticism left?
Trust me nothing freak about it, plenty of guys at the same or way more at the collegiate level and beyond. Just look at the NFL Combine every year... Im a little older than that but can still move a bit. Body slowing down, shoulder and hips aches here an there now from decades of bangin into other guys at high speed.
Father time is....., you know the rest.

Back