According to this article, MMA is the 13th most popular sport in the world...

I guess. It just doesn't sound right. I can't name anyone who plays cricket or volleyball. I can name NFL and MLB guys and I don't watch sports.
The thing is, this isn't US based, it's the world, my cousin is a volleyball players, his wife was also a volleyball player, I don't know anyone who plays cricket, but I know people that play Basketball, Tenis, runners, etc never met anyone who plays American football or baseball since its not famous here.

I guess. It just doesn't sound right. I can't name anyone who plays cricket or volleyball. I can name NFL and MLB guys and I don't watch sports.

It depends on the country I suppose. Back in my day every kid in Russia played volleyball in school during PE lessons, alongside with basketball and football.

We got a quite lot of open volleyball courts in Moscow and I see people play there recreationally all the time.

I dont like it at all it to be honest, always been a football guy :D

Women's volleyball is great

At least MMA beat Field Hockey (barely)

I wonder what that list would look like if it was only about money..

Cricket and volleyball are bigger than the NFL and baseball? I got to double check that.

Sounds really weird to me too
I'm not even American, but cricket? How many countries play that?

Cricket and volleyball are bigger than the NFL and baseball? I got to double check that.

Of course they are. Cricket has global tournaments with actual parity in competitions.

Basketball is the Black American pastime that people like to watch.

Sounds really weird to me too
I'm not even American, but cricket? How many countries play that?

South Africa
New Zealand
India (So a Billion people)
Pakistan
All of the West Indies
Australia
The UK
Numerous African nations but which ones specifically I am not sure.

Compared this to American Football and Basketball. No one plays American Football or gives two shits about it besides us Canadians.

Basketball...same thing. Other Nations might have a few leagues but that's about it.

Ffs Hockey is a bigger short than either of those two globally.

These threads really bring out the more cultured Americans on this site...

Ironic given that you - Texas of all fucking names - makes that observation lol.

I don't doubt cricket is big in India, but the article is bad. They don't cite any source for their numbers and some of the sports like Ice Hockey they don't even give numbers. They just a paragraph in there.

Ice Hockey is easily bigger than American Football and Basketball on a global scale. It actually possesses almost near parity in competition...almost.

1. Football/Soccer by a long shot.
2. Boxing (Boxing doesn't have a specific league or singular organization, so its scattered. But everyone around the world is ready for a good scrap).
3. Tennis. No crazy fan following like football or cricket, but everyone tunes in for Grandslams and Federer/Nadal/Sampras/Agassi/Serena. Tennis has produced huge stars.
4. Cricket, only for the huge numbers it brings in from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. It is also the second biggest sport in Australia and England, I believe. It is largely ignored in other European and American countries.
5. I'd say Rugby/Golf.

UFC will replace Boxing though. Fighting is the only sport everyone in the world will tune into watch like it or not. Its the most basic form of competition. Boxing used to the king pin, but the rules make it limited and now people are moving onto better things.

Looks about right to me apart from Formula 1 being so high up at #7

When was this article written?

It said this about MMA "Mixed Martial Arts is getting more and more popular with the emergence of UFC. Its a big sport in Brazil, USA while spreading across Europe slowly. It highly rewarding financially and might overtake Boxing in a few years."

Back