A top Netflix executive is out after using the N-word

Seems sensible enough to fire the guy if he is using racial slurs.

edit:

Actually, this seems weird. I think the details matter here. He used the word in a discussion about what words were sensitive, which is a reasonable context and people were offended, according to the article, because he used the full word. " Friedland used the N-word during a meeting with Netflix public relations staff during a discussion about "sensitive words." Several people told him they were offended by his use of the full word, according to Hastings's memo."

So can we infer from that that he did not use the term itself in a disparaging way but simply failed to call it "the N-word?" If so, that's infantile.

It is hard to argue that there is anything about the word itself that is bothersome to almost any American, but offense is instead entirely contextual. If he used it in context where it was clear he was not disparaging anyone, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Hastings added that, in his view, there is "not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context." I think this is laughable. I've easily heard the word used thousands of time with no offense meant and none taken. It is untrue that there is no way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word.

When keeping it PC goes wrong.

i have a silly but somewhat relevant anecdote. It is possible to say the actual word and not have everyone lose their shit.

I was working in the lab of a historically black college and the project required connecting to some bluetooth sensors. I noticed one of the students had a bluetooth device named "dat :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:h". In case sherdog bleeps that it is the n-word ending with "ah" instead of " er". I felt like it would be a good idea for whoever it was to change it in case the prof or someone of similar status saw that and didnt take it so lightly.

Being the only white person in the room and not knowing everyone else THAT well i weighed my aversion for the phrase "the n-word" and my aversion for physical beatdowns for a moment. I said fuck it. "Someone's bluetooth device is called dat :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:h. You might want to change it."

Things were tense for roughly 3 seconds, and about 15 seconds after that we were all laughing about it.

Seems sensible enough to fire the guy if he is using racial slurs.

edit:

Actually, this seems weird. I think the details matter here. He used the word in a discussion about what words were sensitive, which is a reasonable context and people were offended, according to the article, because he used the full word. " Friedland used the N-word during a meeting with Netflix public relations staff during a discussion about "sensitive words." Several people told him they were offended by his use of the full word, according to Hastings's memo."

So can we infer from that that he did not use the term itself in a disparaging way but simply failed to call it "the N-word?" If so, that's infantile.

It is hard to argue that there is anything about the word itself that is bothersome to almost any American, but offense is instead entirely contextual. If he used it in context where it was clear he was not disparaging anyone, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Hastings added that, in his view, there is "not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context." I think this is laughable. I've easily heard the word used thousands of time with no offense meant and none taken. It is untrue that there is no way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word.

I think I agree. I used it many times in a row the other day while explaining to my brother that he and I will never really understand the effect it has on some people. Y'know, since we're crackers.

I would say that the audience is key as far as the emotion being neutralized though.

Crackers.

Couple of whiny crybaby pussies whining about a word lmao.

We all know what the word is. We all know how it's spelled, what it sounds like, etc. When you say "the N-word", the exact pronouncement of the word itself runs through everyone's heads. So if someone says it aloud and in a non-racist context, who gives a shit? Firing someone over it is just infantile.

Anyone defending this is one dumb son of a bitch.

NOTICE:

This admin account, ‘Peteyandjia’, has been locked & placed under leave until further notice, due to use of the R word. We apologize to all members of this forum, an internal investigation of this matter is underway.

You are literally Hitler!:eek:

The part that is bullshit is the automatic "he did something wrong" when the meeting was discussing slurs. It's not clear that it's wrong to use a slur at a meeting about slurs. And then it's automatically wrong to speak the word in the context of a meeting about a slur that was used in a meeting about slurs? Sounds opportunistic and predatory. This is goddamn hysteria, absent some extraordinary context.

It's his own damn fault.

He should have said, "Athletic and Explosive" like we do;)

This is so much worse than wishing a kid was locked up with a pedo for sure

Seems like a ridiculous thing to get offended about, but if your head of PR can't manage meetings with staff without repeatedly offending them in exactly the same way, in spite of having been told, he's clearly incompetent.
In PR it doesn't matter whether it's reasonable for people to take offence, with most brands it's your job to avoid controversy (and Netflix seems pretty run of the mill in that respect).
Their PR manager couldn't manage his own PR crisis.

Its like in Harry Potter when they say Voldemort instead of "he who shall not be named" and everyone gasps

Unreal that anybody would defend firing this man.

No single group should enjoy a fundamental protection that transcends those outside that group, and no single word should be peculiarly bound to reprisal that transcends language; regardless of how distinctly stigmatized its own non-linguistic history is. That's discrimination-- incontrovertibly. These special considerations were never intended to be permanent (only corrective). That correction was reached relatively rapidly. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not approve of racial epithets or the primitive theories they convey.

The great problem is that now this sentiment has been warped, and is wielded as a hammer, not as a shield.

It doesn't matter if they are apologetic. It doesn't matter if they agree it's reasonable to change their behavior or not repeat it. It doesn't even matter if everyone knows they weren't using the word to convey those theories and history, or with the intent to project hatred onto someone hearing it. If "context is king", contemporary liberalism is the land of the blind.

It's clear that the grace period on functional free speech regarding this word has to end. The censorship is causing more harm, now, than it is doing good.

My daily programming:
5 things white people can do before they call the cops on a black person

Love it. I need to be shamed should I ever "mansplain" something to a woman, liberals tell me, although it's never been clearly outlined in anything I've read what distinguishes "mansplaining" from "explaining", yet out the other side of their mouth, they pen articles like this one, indicating that as a white person apparently I need things brownsplained to me.

I also love how liberals suddenly find government regulation oppressive, and want to mine that issue for sympathy, when it's a black person slinging under-the-table on the sidewalk. I don't care if it's a 5-year-old girl or a guy who ended up getting wrongly choked to death. You don't get to pick and choose when you support illegal activity.

That's all liberals do, lately. They support lawlessness when it favors liberals. They oppose it when it doesn't (often oppose lawfulness, too!)

Tectonic hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Just me that cringes and laughs a little when they read or hear "THE N-WORD".

Fuck sake.

Bet this was just a classic case of being sat in a room with a few POC and them getting upset and wanting the white man out btw. Such is life.

Again, no context necessary, you say it, you’re fucked. Does any other word hold such power? No. And it’s ridiculous.

I would say that the audience is key as far as the emotion being neutralized though.
Agreed, you should pretty much never say it in front of black people you don't have a rapport with.

You wouldn't make a good communications chief then. That adds another layer to it. I would have fired the guy too and I hate PC nonsense. Warren Buffett said if you lose him money he will be understanding, if you damage the reputation of his company he will be ruthless. A communications exec should know more about humans than that. I could have predicted this would have happened if I was sitting in that room. I would be like, "There goes his job." and I would be pretty surprised he said it.
This was an internal meeting. This should have never been a public airing of dirty laundry, as this should have been handled in-house. Employees should have had the judgment to realize that racial issues, an extremely touchy subject these days, could affect the health of the company.

Guy was probably an idiot for saying the word out loud, as people have no common sense or ability to conduct themselves as adults these days. If you are a halfway-reasonable person today, you should have abysmally low expectations for the people around you. Obviously, these employees were being hyper-sensitive and the executive wasn't using the term maliciously, but that's just where we are at as a society. Being offended and levying the consequences of that on another person seems a goal for some people.

He was not souds to be hurt enough when did pronunciate that horrible world
"you enjoyed it , you monster, admit!"

My daily programming:
5 things white people can do before they call the cops on a black person

Love it. I need to be shamed should I ever "mansplain" something to a woman, liberals tell me, although it's never been clearly outlined in anything I've read what distinguishes "mansplaining" from "explaining", yet out the other side of their mouth, they pen articles like this one, indicating that as a white person apparently I need things brownsplained to me.

I also love how liberals suddenly find government regulation oppressive, and want to mine that issue for sympathy, when it's a black person slinging under-the-table on the sidewalk. I don't care if it's a 5-year-old girl or a guy who ended up getting wrongly choked to death. You don't get to pick and choose when you support illegal activity.

That's all liberals do, lately. They support lawlessness when it favors liberals. They oppose it when it doesn't (often oppose lawfulness, too!)

Tectonic hypocrisy.

Jesus fucking Christ, that article was hilarious

{<jordan}

Back