A top Netflix executive is out after using the N-word

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
This is what is news nowadays so here it is. He's obviously a moron.

A top Netflix executive has left the company after he used the N-word in front of colleagues on more than one occasion.
The streaming service's chief communications officer, Jonathan Friedland, issued an apology on Twitter Friday and said he's leaving the company after seven years.

"Leaders have to be beyond reproach in the example we set and unfortunately I fell short of that standard when I was insensitive in speaking to my team about words that offend in comedy," the tweet reads. "I feel awful about the distress this lapse caused to people at a company I love and where I want everyone to feel included and appreciated."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/22/news/companies/netflix-spokesperson-n-word/index.html

Seems sensible enough to fire the guy if he is using racial slurs.

edit:

Actually, this seems weird. I think the details matter here. He used the word in a discussion about what words were sensitive, which is a reasonable context and people were offended, according to the article, because he used the full word. " Friedland used the N-word during a meeting with Netflix public relations staff during a discussion about "sensitive words." Several people told him they were offended by his use of the full word, according to Hastings's memo."

So can we infer from that that he did not use the term itself in a disparaging way but simply failed to call it "the N-word?" If so, that's infantile.

It is hard to argue that there is anything about the word itself that is bothersome to almost any American, but offense is instead entirely contextual. If he used it in context where it was clear he was not disparaging anyone, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Hastings added that, in his view, there is "not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context." I think this is laughable. I've easily heard the word used thousands of time with no offense meant and none taken. It is untrue that there is no way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word.

Last edited:
which N word?

Am I supposed to cancel Netflix or upgrade my account, it's hard to keep up.

Wait so he didn't actually call anybody the n word? They were having a discussion about sensitive words and he mentioned the n word as a sensitive word. Did I read that right?

Actually, this seems weird. I think the details matter here. He used the word in a discussion about what words were sensitive, which is a reasonable context and people were offended, according to the article, because he used the full word. " Friedland used the N-word during a meeting with Netflix public relations staff during a discussion about "sensitive words." Several people told him they were offended by his use of the full word, according to Hastings's memo."

If this is really the extent of it, and he was merely talking about the word itself in a meeting about offensive words, then we have truly, officially achieved Full Retard.

Wait so he didn't actually call anybody the n word? They were having a discussion about sensitive words and he mentioned the n word as a sensitive word. Did I read that right?

You are correct. He used it in the meeting then talked to the HR department and used the word when describing the incident. Some people of color happened to work in HR. What's funny is that Netflix is ok with using the word in their shows,

we have truly, officially achieved Full Retard.

NOTICE:

This admin account, ‘Peteyandjia’, has been locked & placed under leave until further notice, due to use of the R word. We apologize to all members of this forum, an internal investigation of this matter is underway.

edit:

So can we infer from that that he did not use the term itself in a disparaging way but simply failed to call it "the N-word?" If so, that's infantile.

It is hard to argue that there is anything about the word itself that is bothersome to almost any American, but offense is instead entirely contextual. If he used it in context where it was clear he was not disparaging anyone, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Hastings added that, in his view, there is "not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context." I think this is laughable. I've easily heard the word used thousands of time with no offense meant and none taken. It is untrue that there is no way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word.

Ive been talked to about it on this very board

I had to read several different sources of this trying to figure out what the guy said before I was sure thats what happened

I cannot believe grown ass people cant have a GD grownup conversation any more about serious topics

The fuckin N word
Jesus christ

NOTICE:

This admin account, ‘Peteyandjia’, has been locked & placed under leave until further notice, due to use of the R word. We apologize to all members of this forum, an internal investigation of this matter is underway.

But do you feel awful about the distress this lapse caused to people at a company you love and where you want everyone to feel included and appreciated?

Reading that the second time when you know he was fired for using the n-word in a conversation about the n-word is surreal.

if he really was fired for forgetting to shorten it while listing forbidden words in the workplace that's like a Cohen Brothers film

I had to read several different sources of this trying to figure out what the guy said before I was sure thats what happened

I cannot believe grown ass people cant have a GD grownup conversation any more about serious topics

The fuckin N word
Jesus christ

This is an example of racism. Does anyone here believe that this man would have been fired if he were black? I don't. He wasn't fired for what he said. He was fired because of his skin color while saying it.

This is an example of racism. Does anyone here believe that this man would have been fired if he were black? I don't. He wasn't fired for what he said. He was fired because of his skin color while saying it.

Im sure

But there is no nuance in everyday speech any more

A few years back you could probably still say the word when talking about offensive language but now its nope he said it he probably says it everyday and hes a racist

The people that we uncomfortable probably werent black either but just uppity white people tryin to virtue signal and score team points

Ohmygawdbeckyweliketotallygotaracistfiredtoday

The fuckin N word
Jesus christ

Yes, I quoted some rap lyrics that I liked that had the N word with the A at the end and mods told me to watch it. I understand though. They don't make the rules and I don't feel censored.

edit:

Not defending the situation and I know I act like a barbarian on here but even I would have said, "the N word". Instead of the full word. I was raised that was a very bad word and you never say it.

Back