A top Netflix executive is out after using the N-word

Please. I get called a ninja at work all the time.

Not defending the situation and I know I act like a barbarian on here but even I would have said, "the N word". Instead of the full word. I was raised that was a very bad word and you never say it.
I was raised to never say it as well, and I rarely do, and I've never used it as a racial slur in all my days. But if we were discussing words we never say, I think I'd say it. I also spent a few decades hearing the word almost non-stop, some I'm extremely skeptical about the supposed sensitivity people have toward it.

If this guy used the term as a racial slur, he ought to be gone. If he failed to use a silly euphemism while discussing the word itself and not pointing it at anyone, it's pretty stupid. Also, the people who had their feelings apparently hurt and complained probably ought to feel ashamed of themselves.

It's not that I think this is the biggest racial problem we have or anything like that, but I do think it undercuts our ability to even begin discussing race with one another when all reason is abandoned as soon as someone's feelings get hurt. It's nearly impossible to discuss race without someone or other's feelings getting hurt.

I'm thankful that sherdog and society as a whole protect me from such vicious words, tbh.

It's right there in the story.

He used it in a meeting about sensitive words

Then used it again in a human resources meeting about his prior use and the problem with it.

It's cut and dry.

I was raised to never say it as well, and I rarely do, and I've never used it as a racial slur in all my days. But if we were discussing words we never say, I think I'd say it. I also spent a few decades hearing the word almost non-stop, some I'm extremely skeptical about the supposed sensitivity people have toward it.

If this guy used the term as a racial slur, he ought to be gone. If he failed to use a silly euphemism while discussing the word itself and not pointing it at anyone, it's pretty stupid. Also, the people who had their feelings apparently hurt and complained probably ought to feel ashamed of themselves.

It's not that I think this is the biggest racial problem we have or anything like that, but I do think it undercuts our ability to even begin discussing race with one another when all reason is abandoned as soon as someone's feelings get hurt. It's nearly impossible to discuss race without someone or other's feelings getting hurt.

You wouldn't make a good communications chief then. That adds another layer to it. I would have fired the guy too and I hate PC nonsense. Warren Buffett said if you lose him money he will be understanding, if you damage the reputation of his company he will be ruthless. A communications exec should know more about humans than that. I could have predicted this would have happened if I was sitting in that room. I would be like, "There goes his job." and I would be pretty surprised he said it.

NOTICE:

This admin account, ‘Peteyandjia’, has been locked & placed under leave until further notice, due to use of the R word. We apologize to all members of this forum, an internal investigation of this matter is underway.

They would never give a retard that kind of power.

It's right there in the story.

He used it in a meeting about sensitive words

Then used it again in a human resources meeting about his prior use and the problem with it.

It's cut and dry.

LOL You know the guy was like "no more using the n-word"
then some intern was like "you mean nancy? we can't say Nancy? My side piece's name is Nancy. No, not going to work"
then he was like "not Nancy you dumb fucking ----"

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

I'm with Louis on this one. When you say "n-word," you are putting the word into my head, essentially making me say it while trying to absolve yourself of the guilt over using it. It's entirely dishonest.

Wait so he didn't actually call anybody the n word? They were having a discussion about sensitive words and he mentioned the n word as a sensitive word. Did I read that right?
Yes, it's literally retarded

I'm with Louis on this one. When you say "n-word," you are putting the word into my head, essentially making me say it while trying to absolve yourself of the guilt over using it. It's entirely dishonest.

LOL, imagine the exec's replacement saying, "We are not going to tolerate people saying the N-word. I don't care if you are an N-word or not an N-word. If one N-word calls another N-word the N-word, your N-word ass is gonna get fired"
^ yeah, in such an extreme case you see how even saying the N-word is bad.
^^note: was saying "N-word" to illustrate a point, not degrade anyone.

"You went full n-word, man. Never go full n-word."

0d839f5a-5c4c-4bd8-85cb-b4d23529f885.jpg

LOL, imagine the exec's replacement saying, "We are not going to tolerate people saying the N-word. I don't care if you are an N-word or not an N-word. If one N-word calls another N-word the N-word, your N-word ass is gonna get fired"
^ yeah, in such an extreme case you see how even saying the N-word is bad.
^^note: was saying "N-word" to illustrate a point, not degrade anyone.
Yeah context is the whole deal, has nothing to do with the word. One day "N-word" will be a slur.

n

Such an interesting way to look at it. By Louis, I assume you mean C.K.? Can you elaborate a bit more on what he said or is that the whole of it?

Isn't this true of most, or even all, euphemisms? I use the euphemism to make you think of something unpleasant or taboo, while only using pleasant or acceptable words myself.

n

Such an interesting way to look at it. By Louis, I assume you mean C.K.? Can you elaborate a bit more on what he said or is that the whole of it?

Isn't this true of most, or even all, euphemisms? I use the euphemism to make you think of something unpleasant or taboo, while only using pleasant or acceptable words myself.
It's on one of his specials, and he talked about it on Opie and Anthony once or twice. It's in an offensive word bit, but he nails how I feel about it.

As far as euphemism, it has its place and all (mostly when talking to children or for keeping general audiences light hearted, or joking), but there's something really messed up when words are strictly forbidden.

Seems sensible enough to fire the guy if he is using racial slurs.

edit:

Actually, this seems weird. I think the details matter here. He used the word in a discussion about what words were sensitive, which is a reasonable context and people were offended, according to the article, because he used the full word. " Friedland used the N-word during a meeting with Netflix public relations staff during a discussion about "sensitive words." Several people told him they were offended by his use of the full word, according to Hastings's memo."

So can we infer from that that he did not use the term itself in a disparaging way but simply failed to call it "the N-word?" If so, that's infantile.

It is hard to argue that there is anything about the word itself that is bothersome to almost any American, but offense is instead entirely contextual. If he used it in context where it was clear he was not disparaging anyone, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Hastings added that, in his view, there is "not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context." I think this is laughable. I've easily heard the word used thousands of time with no offense meant and none taken. It is untrue that there is no way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word.
Reminds me of this

It's on one of his specials, and he talked about it on Opie and Anthony once or twice. It's in an offensive word bit, but he nails how I feel about it.

As far as euphemism, it has its place and all (mostly when talking to children or for keeping general audiences light hearted), but there's something really messed up when words are strictly forbidden.

Of course you beat me to it.

I thought burr said that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back