A Quiet Place (2018 Horror)

If you’ve seen it, how did you rate it?

• Total voters
You said alot of dumb shit that was easily explained in the film. Nothing you said has any substance to it. Your nitpicking shit thats not there. Very weird to be honest

Do you even know what the discussion was about that the other poster and I were having?

What they should have done was record the sound of the river, put it on loop, and blast it out of those speakers at the house

Monsters would have just thought it was a river

Dumb ass monsters

You said alot of dumb shit that was easily explained in the film. Nothing you said has any substance to it. Your nitpicking shit thats not there. Very weird to be honest

So, you worked on the movie? The weird post is yours.

No, they didn't explain much. The movie just wasn't that deep, generally, which is a reason these 10/10 and 9/10 scores are straight comical.

He's also right about the jump scares not working. He's also right about the electricity. The whole build up/explanation was done through the newspaper covers they showed a few times. Like, 4-5.

This was a movie like 'mimic,' but with better adult actors in the lead. That's all.

Last edited:
I was thinking recently how odd it would be to see a modern silent film. Not just a film with little dialogue, but a full length feature film with no words. Maybe this is it? Thanks.

Only 30mins but I think you'll be impressed.

What they should have done was record the sound of the river, put it on loop, and blast it out of those speakers at the house

Monsters would have just thought it was a river

Dumb ass monsters

Right.. Why wouldn't they build a shack near the river so she could fulfill her duty? Have loud speakers all over? It's just a basic creature feature, with strong leads.

Last edited:
IIRC they look almost exactly like the Stranger Things monster.

We’ve seen a large humanoid like creature where the face opens up many times. That’s why I said generic. I meant generic looking.

They had super hearing but were blind. They couldn’t even see Emily Blunt holding a squealing baby behind some water dripping.

Their armor was badass but a shotgun blast to the face kills them. Pellets dude.

Their hearing was an attribute and also their weakness. How quickly in the real world would we have figured out that if something has super hearing, that it would also be sensitive to certain frequencies. We do that with dog whistles. Probably not the same science but before most of the population was killed off I’m sure some scientist, doctor, engineer, weapons expert, or deaf girl would have figured it out.

I was also confused by how they mentioned there was only 3 of them. I assume just 3 in this area. But the only way I see them taking out most of the world is if their was millions of them and they coordinated a simultaneous attack of major cities all around the planet.

Fast, strong, sharp teeth, and can swim underwater just don’t separate them from most badass monsters in movies.

I wasn’t impressed by them.
This post is on point. Well done.

It Comes At Night was the first thing that came to mind when watching this trailer. Gives a very similar vibe.

This was the second thing that comes to mind just cause I think of the scene whenever I see Krasinski

The funny thing is Krasinski has long since shown he is capable of multiple genres yet I always think of Halpert initially when I see him in any role.

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for good, new horror movies and this certainly looks interesting. Krasinski directed too as well. Good on him.

Emily Blunt is beautiful and a very good actress. I'm on board.

Great scene.

Seen it last night, i thought it was great. Very intense and quite original with good performances through out. The monsters looked fantastic as well.

I wish we knew what they were or where they came from but thats not a knock on the film, just my own curiosity getting the better of me.

Right.. Why wouldn't they build a shack near the river so she could fulfill her duty? Have loud speakers all over? It's just a basic creature feature, with strong leads.

Maybe they didn't do that because it's a monster movie and they had to show the monsters at some point during it.

Whatever he does next I hope its not a sequel to this movie

How the movie ended would set up a radically different type of movie and I really have no interest in seeing it go that way

They could call it:
Shotgun Mama and The Deaf Girl.

There are certainly logical issues with some of the things done/not done by the characters, it's far from a perfect movie. But I think it's a really solid thriller. Sometimes logic is thrown out of the window to make the movie work a little better, and that's fine by me.

It's not like the fate of the world relies on how logical these movies are. As long as it isn't completely ignorant, I think it's okay to tone down on the skepticism and just enjoy it. That's what movies are for.

If a script cant hold together under scrutiny its not a good script
I liked both yours, and the previous post.. Because the truth is in the middle of them.

I'm calling the 97% on RT the black panther effect. I just think there is a correlation. Black panther was what, 98%? This was a white cast, in a slightly better than average movie (like black panther) and I think hollyweird has got itself all twisted right now.

I read a book a few years ago (2015) about a family trying to cling together in a world that had been torn apart. There was a mining accident, a cave complex that had been isolated from the upper world for eons was opened, and horrible monsters that hunted by sound alone were released, killing uncounted numbers of people who couldn’t adapt to the sudden need to make as little noise as possible, down to even breathing quietly. This is partly complicated by the deafness of the daughter, but the family holds together and, after a great deal of trauma, finds some safety.

That book was then optioned to make a movie, and I got really excited.

That book and the movie based on it are called The Silence.
https://www.amazon.com/Silence-Tim-Lebbon/dp/1781168822

Edit: Just to be clear for those who have messaged me, yes I am saying that A Quiet Place is a rip-off.

Last edited:
Update: April 8, 2018

A QUIET PLACE Crushes READY PLAYER ONE, BLOCKERS with $50 Million Debut

6sPRcD7.jpg

The importance of originality to moviegoers came across loud and clear at the weekend box office.

Paramount's A Quiet Place — a high-concept horror-thriller directed by John Krasinski that has less than three minutes of dialogue — opened to a booming $50 million from 3,508 theaters in North America, well ahead of expectations and one of the top debuts of all time for a horror title behind last year's It ($123.4 million). It's also the second-best three-day bow of the year so far behind Black Panther ($202 million).

A Quiet Place easily scaled the box-office chart to land at No. 1, delivering a needed win for Paramount after a dismal run that had seen the studio fall to No. 11 in domestic market share. The movie was one of the first films that began shooting after Jim Gianopulos arrived as chairman-CEO in spring 2017, meaning he guided the project from start to finish.

Produced by Platinum Dunes and costing a modest $17 million to make, A Quiet Place stars Krasinski opposite real-life wife Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe. The story follows a family of four who must remain silent to ward off mysterious creatures that hunt by sound. Rated PG-13, the pic earned a B+ CinemaScore, a great grade for a horror film, and sports a 97 percent Rotten Tomatoes score.

Overseas, A Quiet Place opened to a pleasing $21 million from its first 40 markets for a global cume of $71 million, suggesting the movie will be a huge profit generator.

"It's rare for a horror movie to do so well. A Quiet Place has broken free of any genre," says Paramount distribution chief Kyle Davies. "Then there's the experiential aspect of the movie. It's intense and people are engaged from the minute it starts.

It was a good weekend all the way around for moviegoing in the U.S. as revenue spiked more than 36 percent over the same frame last year.

Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One held up well in its sophomore outing, falling a slim 40 percent to $25.1 million for an 11-day domestic total of $96.9 million, while Universal's Blockers beat the R-rated comedy curse.

Globally, Ready Player One film saw its grosses climb to $391.3 million, including a massive $161.2 million in China, the best showing of all time for a Warner Bros. title. And it had no trouble topping the weekend foreign chart with $81.7 million from 65 markets.

Blockers opened to $21.4 million from 3,379 North American cinemas, the best launch for an R-rated comedy since fellow Universal comedy Girls Trip, which bowed to $31 million in summer 2017. The female-fronted film earned a B CinemaScore, and currently sports an 83 percent Rotten Tomatoes score.

Helmed by screenwriter Kay Cannon in her feature directorial debut, Blockers is a raunchy coming-of-age tale about a group of girls determined to lose their virginity on prom night. The big hitch — their parents learn of their plan. Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz and John Cena star alongside Kathryn Newton, Geraldine Indira Viswanathan and Gideon Adlon.

Weekend Box Office: 'A Quiet Place' Crushes 'Ready Player One' and 'Blockers' With $50 Million Bow

Back