Social 9-Year-Old Kills Herself after Bullies Mocked Her for Having a White Friend

9-year-old killed herself after bullies mocked her for having a white friend, mom says
mckenzie_fitted.jpeg

This is beyond despicable (assuming the mother's account is true because she doesn't substantiate it with facts). Fucking Florida.

There is a second dimension to this that the above article digs into a bit. This is acutely affecting girls, since 2011, and nobody has articulated why more brilliantly than NYU psychologist Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff. I was pleased to discover Sherdog has had a thread on Haidt.
Parents coddling their kids and not letting them unsupervised time
71-YdpPCtRL.jpg
He succinctly summarized the ideas of this recent work on Maher's show this past fall (with the Mooch!). He traces how this is symptomatic of a wider cultural problem that is being driven by the leftist ideas embraced by the iGen despite that most of us would acknowledge this girl's tragedy, if rooted in racism, is more likely specifically correlated to redhat toxicity. I especially appreciate his comments at the end explaining the gender impact disparity precipitated by a question from the Mooch beginning at 6:59:

Keywords related to this work are "Helicopter parenting", "Bulldozer parenting" or "Concierge parenting".

Are you really trying to say that this is an issue caused by leftists? Really? This is political? It's somehow a political thing that parents everywhere have gone totally overboard with their over-protective behaviour? It wouldn't have anything to do with "tough on crime" bullshit we see all the time from right wing fear mongers? Really? I call bullshit.

Madmick's post is spot on. Not sure why people are offended. I'd rather say some uncomfortable truths than turn a blind eye to why kids can't cope with life and decide to end it at 9 fucking years old.

Madmick's post is spot on. Not sure why people are offended. I'd rather say some uncomfortable truths than turn a blind eye to why kids can't cope with life and decide to end it at 9 fucking years old.

Agreed. Great OP.

@Madmick

I crack on my kids all the time. Toughening them up :)
Plus there ain't no way they're getting on social media. I don't even like it when my wife posts family pics. So I crack on her too.
Ok I admit, I enjoy cracking on people.

...Kids of that age are extremely attuned to what their peers think of them....

And I really wish I knew how to lessen this. It's crazy.
"I don't care" said the 10 year old girl... never

They do weird "we are friends and now we are not" games and will not invite a specific girl to a party and talk about how fun the party was. T
If you think boys don't do this you're mistaken. They do it less, but it happens.

It's a good lesson and I've seen/experienced similar stuff. What popped into my head was that even that exchange doesn't happen without the parent being there, the child turning to the parent, and the parent structuring some kind of intervention. Yet if you'd physically stepped in, a la 20 years ago, would you have been labelled a helicopter parent?

I agree that the landscape seems so much less clear. We don't want parents being too involved until something goes wrong and then we ask "Where were the adults?" It suggests a massive breakdown in society somewhere. 20 years ago, you probably would have known that Dad and he would have known you and you both would have known the other's kid. There would be this sense of shared responsibility for both kids, not just yours, so if you stepped in, it would be to parent both children and the other Dad would expect it.

I want to ramble on about society and silo-ing and stuff. We had some kids over the day (4 year olds) and my wife and I approached it differently. I felt like I needed to be "Dad" to all of the kids, she felt like she needed to be "Mom" only to our son. I can understand that from moms, I can't understand it from dads. And maybe we, the dads, are dropping the ball on our side? Maybe we're not taking enough responsibility for the collective children?

Agreed. But I think there is a common misconception about helicopter parenting, and the way it relates to parenting of the past.

In the past, parents supervised their children less than now. That is true. But what is also different is the way they supervised their children when they did supervise them. They might have supervised less, but they delivered real consequences that left lasting impressions when they did supervise.

When I was about 10, there was a girl in my neighborhood my age who had already begun to 'develop'. While my intentions were more curiosity than lechery, I did have an interest, which I shared enthusiastically with the girl, in seeing and touching what what growing underneath that shirt.

Since we were both latch key kids, a lot of my behavior initially went unnoticed. And thus slowly grew more bold. But then, finally one day my Dad saw me make a reach for one of the girls small boobies which she had deftly brushed aside. To this day, I have never seen a more terrifying image than that of my father marching to me in the neighbors yard, already taking the belt off his pants.

The belting had begun before we even made it back to the house, and continued once we got in. As always, afterwards there was a discussion and a reinforcement of love. But never again was there a single doubt in my mind about what acceptable behavior was in this area.

So visceral was the event that the next time I saw the girl, she was actually asking me if I was OK. To this day, I don't think I have ever made a more sincere apology than the one I made to that girl.

In this day and age of increased supervision, parents have a lot more 'at bats' with their kids. But far too often, they just look at all the pitches. My parents had fewer at bats with me, but almost every one of them went to the full count with several fouled off balls to boot.

So really, there are 2 big problems now. Not only do kids have fewer chances to make mistakes. But the mistakes they do make are not being turned into seminal moments.

Kids are fucking cruel. They have a way of figuring out what someone is most insecure about, and then relentlessly attacking them for it.
I get that this is just part of their social maturation process, but it really sucks that bullying and being bullied has to be part of the human experience.

Your opinion on why child suicide is much more common today after the big anti bullying push?

For the reasons I stated. At this age, peer acceptance is the most important thing to developing children. Ostracization from the peer group leads children to feel as if they have no value to the world. In the past, children could get respite from the poor treatment and use that time to develop coping strategies. The internet and social media means that there is never any down time. Poor treatment at school turns into poor treatment on social media which follows the child home. For those children who are emotionally more sensitive, this can be more debilitating on them.

If you think about developing social resiliency like any other training modality, you need time away from the stress to heal. Athletes train hard and then eat more calories and sleep for long hours to let their bodies heal. Pro fighters take months between matches to get better and recover from the last fight.

That's proper. It's how humans work. You need the stress but you don't get stronger during the stress, you get stronger during the post-stress phase. That's when muscles recover, that's when you learn how to deal with what happened, etc.

Without that, you just end up in a place of overtraining. Taxing your system beyond its ability to heal. The same is true for emotional resiliency.

For some kids, when they cross that overtraining threshold and don't get time to heal, they commit suicide. Social media's constancy is like never having peer group down time to heal and recover. And some kids are just more susceptible than others but if you keep upping the stress levels, more kids are going to crack.

This has nothing to do with helicopter parenting. If anything, suicides are taking place during unsupervised time.

This is entirely about bullying in the context described in the video. Kids of that age are extremely attuned to what their peers think of them. Developmentally, they are going through a phase where peer acceptance is much more important than parental approval. There is nothing that we can do about that, it is hardwired into how our brains develop and mature.

In that time period, if their peer group ostracizes them to a sufficient degree, they truly feel as if there is no place for them in the world. The constancy of the internet and the permanency of what goes on it makes it impossible for these kids to ever have a moment without the ostracization and the diminishing of their social value.

When people say "Toughen them up" it's pointless. You cannot toughen them up to such a degree that their brains don't go through the natural development need to maximize peer acceptance. You have to minimize their exposure to it. Not because the parents are overdoing it but because society is putting it out there at a level far beyond what we were designed to handle. And for the emotionally sensitive individual (which is an intrinsic thing, not a learned one), what is manageable for their peers is not manageable for them (like pain tolerances, some people just have a higher threshold).

It is a real problem that has its roots in the disconnect between social media and the developing child brain.

Kids need time away from the negative experiences to process them, to adequately understand and to develop resiliencies but that doesn't happen to the same degree anymore.
You have utterly no clue if that is true. You have no idea how this girl was parented. Young children pick up on things very early in life, and a more cynical speculation entails entertaining the possibility this girl was picking up cues of victimization from her family rooted in a confirmation bias. It's possible this is being transmitted in this very story by their clearly voiced inclination to latch onto this alleged racist bullying as the de facto cause of her suicide-- just as you yourself have passively accepted without any apparent skeptical thought. After all, without a suicide note, it is impossible to know with certainty why anyone commits suicide. We draw our conclusions to comfort ourselves; how we make sense of their deaths can offer them no quarter. They are already gone.

In light of this truth, you might revisit the OP with the edits I just added. I am suddenly much less inclined myself to take this mother and the girl's family at their word.

Obviously the purpose of my OP was to buttress their presumption with evidence of a larger, rising generational problem that ironically is driven by political thought entrenched opposite to that which is more commonly associated with the side guilty of the specific bullying she experienced. I wasn't explicitly linking this specific suicide to "helicopter parenting", and I went out of my way to point that out. I thought it fine opportunity to bridge the identity politics inherent to this anecdotal story with larger factors influencing the swelling rate of suicide among Gen Z aka iGen rooted in a transmission of values as well as the unique condition this generation faces in its adolescence. This girl is too young to fit the larger mold characterized by Haidt.

Are you really trying to say that this is an issue caused by leftists? Really? This is political? It's somehow a political thing that parents everywhere have gone totally overboard with their over-protective behaviour? It wouldn't have anything to do with "tough on crime" bullshit we see all the time from right wing fear mongers? Really? I call bullshit.
Wow. You couldn't even be bothered to watch the 8 minute Maher clip. This was explained by Haidt, and the correlation of the advent of the phenomenon to the sudden rise in leftist safe-space college campus student body mentalities is made clear from the outset.

Agreed. But I think there is a common misconception about helicopter parenting, and the way it relates to parenting of the past.

In the past, parents supervised their children less than now. That is true. But what is also different is the way they supervised their children when they did supervise them. They might have supervised less, but they delivered real consequences that left lasting impressions when they did supervise.

When I was about 10, there was a girl in my neighborhood my age who had already begun to 'develop'. While my intentions were more curiosity than lechery, I did have an interest, which I shared enthusiastically with the girl, in seeing and touching what what growing underneath that shirt.

Since we were both latch key kids, a lot of my behavior initially went unnoticed. And thus slowly grew more bold. But then, finally one day my Dad saw me make a reach for one of the girls small boobies which she had deftly brushed aside. To this day, I have never seen a more terrifying image than that of my father marching to me in the neighbors yard, already taking the belt off his pants.

The belting had begun before we even made it back to the house, and continued once we got in. As always, afterwards there was a discussion and a reinforcement of love. But never again was there a single doubt in my mind about what acceptable behavior was in this area.

So visceral was the event that the next time I saw the girl, she was actually asking me if I was OK. To this day, I don't think I have ever made a more sincere apology than the one I made to that girl.

In this day and age of increased supervision, parents have a lot more 'at bats' with their kids. But far too often, they just look at all the pitches. My parents had fewer at bats with me, but almost every one of them went to the full count with several fouled off balls to boot.

So really, there are 2 big problems now. Not only do kids have fewer chances to make mistakes. But the mistakes they do make are not being turned into seminal moments.

Completely agree. That brought memories of my own seminal moments and the belt that always accompanied them, lol.

I wasn't explicitly linking this specific suicide to "helicopter parenting", and I went out of my way to point that out.
Maybe you weren't but the text you included in your post certainly made it appear so.

Wow. You couldn't even be bothered to watch the 8 minute Maher clip. This was explained by Haidt, and the correlation of the advent of the phenomenon to the sudden rise in leftist safe-space college campus student body mentalities is made clear from the outset.
Correlation does not equal causation. How is it possible to dismiss the effects upon the parents of events prior to their having kids? Isn't this likely to be more fundamental than things that happened after they had their children?

I crack on my kids all the time. Toughening them up :)
Plus there ain't no way they're getting on social media. I don't even like it when my wife posts family pics. So I crack on her too.
Ok I admit, I enjoy cracking on people.

And I really wish I knew how to lessen this. It's crazy.
"I don't care" said the 10 year old girl... never
Put em on call of duty headsets for an hour every day until insults are background noise

You have utterly no clue if that is true. You have no idea how this girl was parented.

You can say that I have no idea but the OP brings up the topic of children being coddled. If we have no idea how the girl was parented then why bring it up in the OP? Seems pointless to introduce a topic and then say that we don't know enough to comment on it.

You put in this: Keywords related to this work are "Helicopter parenting", "Bulldozer parenting" or "Concierge parenting".

How can you be sure that those are keywords related to this work if we don't know how the girl was being parented?

Young children pick up on things very early in life, and a more cynical speculation entails entertaining the possibility this girl was picking up cues of victimization from her family rooted in a confirmation bias.

You can type that we don't know anything but you're comfortable entertaining that the girl was picking up cues of victimization from her family. It's nowhere in the links you provided.

You have to joking to bitch at me about utterly having no clue and then type that you're going to seriously entertain that a 9 year old is picking up "victimization" and "confirmation bias" in her home. :confused:

So sad.
R.I.P. little baby...

There is a second dimension to this that the above article digs into a bit. This is acutely affecting girls, since 2011, and nobody has articulated why more brilliantly than NYU psychologist Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff. I was pleased to discover Sherdog has had a thread on Haidt.

I challenge this.

The article clearly states "Highest rate among girls in 40 years".

So, what was the reason for it being so high 40 years ago? And...

<WellThere>

The reason why you are wrong. How about we actually do the RIGHT thing this time and focus on the mental aspects of this instead of the typical biased "lets blame the part of society I dont personally like" bullshit because "morals" bigger bullshit.

9-year-old killed herself after bullies mocked her for having a white friend, mom says
mckenzie_fitted.jpeg

This is beyond despicable (assuming the mother's account is true because she doesn't substantiate it with facts). Fucking Florida.

71-YdpPCtRL.jpg
He succinctly summarized the ideas of this recent work on Maher's show this past fall (with the Mooch!). He traces how this is symptomatic of a wider cultural problem that is being driven by the leftist ideas embraced by the iGen despite that most of us would acknowledge this girl's tragedy, if rooted in racism, is more likely specifically correlated to redhat toxicity. I especially appreciate his comments at the end explaining the gender impact disparity precipitated by a question from the Mooch beginning at 6:59:

*Edit*
So I noticed this story disappeared from Reddit rather suddenly, and it triggered a suspicion in me. I did some Googling to find out more about what was going on.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-suicide-after-racist-taunts-bullying-n946411

...and the 2nd school with the alleged unnamed "white boy"...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ourself/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.34a76dd5c8e7

One day people will realize that seeking out something/someone to blame after a tragedy is a truly lower-human response. It makes you vulnerable to manipulation because your attention is completely on the shallow surface. This is the origin of identity politics and other superficial means of assessment.

You can say that I have no idea but the OP brings up the topic of children being coddled. If we have no idea how the girl was parented then why bring it up in the OP? Seems pointless to introduce a topic and then say that we don't know enough to comment on it.

You put in this: Keywords related to this work are "Helicopter parenting", "Bulldozer parenting" or "Concierge parenting".

How can you be sure that those are keywords related to this work if we don't know how the girl was being parented?
I included those keywords in case any were curious about Haidt's work, or others dealing with this new emerging field of study (e.g. "keywords related to this work"). All happen to be mentioned in the video. My OP connects the issue of bullying, which has preoccupied the left, with the increased rates of suicide, which Haidt himself attributes to a distinct mindset being transmitted to iGen children as they mature, and ironically has manifested in the most hardline leftist politics as observed on college campuses.

So that was only one facet of the research he raised. The other was the social media bullying. In retrospect, I should have linked past studies that have sought to chart the endured suffering of racism to elevated rates of suicide (similarly generalized health problems like hypertension), but that literature is old news, blasted into every American all the way through secondary education, and besides, it wasn't on my mind because I also connected the immediacy of bullying to this girl. After all, she wasn't linked specifically to social media bullying, which is the dimension that Haidt explains most acutely affects girls today, and is less understood by us older fellows whose young, tumultuous adolescences weren't lived within the confines of a Facebook page.
You can type that we don't know anything but you're comfortable entertaining that the girl was picking up cues of victimization from her family. It's nowhere in the links you provided.

You have to joking to bitch at me about utterly having no clue and then type that you're going to seriously entertain that a 9 year old is picking up "victimization" and "confirmation bias" in her home. :confused:
Evidence that she was bullied is nowhere in the link provided, either. It's testimony by her family, and it so happens to not be corroborated-- even the claim of bullying as reason for transfer apparently contradicted-- by school officials and the police.

I was not the one who drew strong conclusions. My OP mused on a multitude of possible factors. It was intended to be a philosophical approach that used this girl's tragic death as a window to peer into a younger generation that is often criticized because its challenges are not yet fully understood. It was about trends larger than this single girl. You were the one who declared, "This is entirely about bullying in the context described in the video."

Don't put that on me. That's your confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back