50-0: The Best Ever

Ummm, nobody ever hits Floyd, and Pea got hit all the time. Even beaten. He was just flashier. Floyd is more solid and effective defensively.

What do you mean nobody hits floyd? Where did this come from ?? Floyd is hittable heck he's been rocked multiple times, his adaptability Is just from another planet.

Canelos career elevates floyds career

Which is why Floyd fans love Canelo. But I don't think a win against any 22 year old outside of maybe Tyson should have that big of a bearing on a guys career standing.

What do you mean nobody hits floyd? Where did this come from ?? Floyd is hittable heck he's been rocked multiple times, his adaptability Is just from another planet.
Does he get hit more than Pea? We're comparing here, and Floyd wins IMO. Nobody outboxed Floyd. Nobody even beat the guy. I don't see how this is debatable.

Floyd got hit from time to time. Mosley cracked him. Corley rocked him. Zab got a few in. The thing with Floyd though is getting that second shot in to end him was near impossible. His defensive instincts and ring IQ are unsurpassed. I believe he had one of the greatest ring IQs in the history of the sport. Just my opinion, obviously, as something like that is not really measurable.

Does he get hit more than Pea? We're comparing here, and Floyd wins IMO. Nobody outboxed Floyd. Nobody even beat the guy. I don't see how this is debatable.
The problem with Whitakers defense vs Floyds was that Whitaker's came off as showboating and judges don't like that. Its part of the reason he was in closer fights than he should have been.

I just think you have to give Floyd the edge as the better defensive fighter as he never lost, never got dropped from a punch and had one of the lowest ratio of punches received to punches landed in punch tracking history.

Floyd got hit from time to time. Mosley cracked him. Corley rocked him. Zab got a few in. The thing with Floyd though is getting that second shot in to end him was near impossible. His defensive instincts and ring IQ are unsurpassed. I believe he had one of the greatest ring IQs in the history of the sport. Just my opinion, obviously, as something like that is not really measurable.

I agree with you, he adapts unbelievably quick which makes it Near impossible to get him again.

Eh Castillo hit him a lot and arguably outboxed him while in his absolute prime

I think thats tough to support. He's top 5, pretty easy at that.

SRR, Greb, Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Joe Gans, Benny Leonard, Henry Armstrong, Willie Pep, SRL, and Duran IMO are all better P4P than Floyd and it was pretty easy to name them off the top of my head.

Some of the greats - not a whole lot of them - have arguably better wins or more noticeable ones (against ATG, HOFers, champions or ex title holders, ranked contenders). It all goes down to how much you value the 0, which is subjective.

Last edited:
eh, he accomplished more than most of the guys on that list.

See Leonard is an example of name notoriety outweighing actual accomplishment. Yeah, yeah. Hearns. Duran. Hagler. Oh my. Great wins. But how about the fact he lost to Duran? how about the fact that Floyd was the best P4P in the world at a point in his career when Leonard was a stepping stone in his?

Ezzard Charles? Charles did more than Floyd? Come on now.

I don't like fighters like Gans and Langford being part of modern all time lists. The sport was pretty much pro wrestling back then. Ever notice how often those guys fought opponents 3 times, splitting the first two? If you see that on a fighter's record from that era, its a red flag.

Floyd has topped the P4P ranks for over a decade in the sport. Conor was like 1 of 3 or 4 guys he's fought in like 20 years that wasn't a former world champion and the first guy who wasn't ranked in the top 10 since he fought Hernandez.

Everyone you mentioned lost to someone he shouldn't have too. Why doesn't that matter when you're looking at the all time picture?

Ezzard Charles fought and beat Walcott, Archie Moore, Joe Louis, Charley Burley, and went toe 2 toe with Marciano when he was old as dust.

Those 4 guys alone are arguably tougher than anyone Floyd has ever faced. Even a 36 year old Joe Louis was still banging with the best. Oh, and he was 184 lbs for the fight. The dude gave up serious weight to guys and he still was a killing machine.

And to say Gans and Langford fought the same guys 3 times is bad, it was how you could get the most money. If the fight drew then you put it on. They are easily able to be put on all time lists. Because its ALL TIME lists not "Last 30 years list."

The problem with Whitakers defense vs Floyds was that Whitaker's came off as showboating and judges don't like that. Its part of the reason he was in closer fights than he should have been.

I just think you have to give Floyd the edge as the better defensive fighter as he never lost, never got dropped from a punch and had one of the lowest ratio of punches received to punches landed in punch tracking history.

Zab made Floyd support himself on the floor. That's a knockdown.\

floyd-mayweather-vs-zab-judah.gif

Zab made Floyd support himself on the floor. That's a knockdown.\

floyd-mayweather-vs-zab-judah.gif
Crazy how the nearest Floyd got to getting knocked down was him getting hit and losing his balance a little. You can call it a knockdown but floyd was never in any danger and it was more of a balance thing than anything.

GOAT primes (after 1960):

1. Ali
2. Ray Leonard
3. Roy Jones Jr
4. Tyson
5. Floyd/Duran

SRR, Greb, Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Joe Gans, Benny Leonard, Henry Armstrong, Willie Pep, SRL, and Duran IMO are all better P4P than Floyd and it was pretty easy to name them off the top of my head.
Can't agree with Louis, Charles and Pep rating over Floyd. Greb either, really.

there really should be a separate ranking for fighters from eras where boxing was controlled by the mob, too.

Can't agree with Louis, Charles and Pep rating over Floyd. Greb either, really.

there really should be a separate ranking for fighters from eras where boxing was controlled by the mob, too.

You do realize that even though Floyd is an ATG he wasn't even voted the best fighter of any decade during his career by the Boxing Writers Association of America? He still could be for the 2010's (2010-2019) but I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson_Award

Crazy how the nearest Floyd got to getting knocked down was him getting hit and losing his balance a little. You can call it a knockdown but floyd was never in any danger and it was more of a balance thing than anything.

O come on now, that's most definitely a knockdown. He came into the punch lol

Back