50-0: The Best Ever

I think Rocky is kind of underrated by some tbh. He didn't fight in the golden age of hw's or anything but he did fight several really good/great fighters and beat the fuck out of them, even if they were past it, its still pretty impressive to me.

He wasn't pretty but he was effective af, had legit power, and more importantly stamina and heart for days. Not saying he's the best or close to it, but I feel like he gets too much credit from some ppl and not nearly enough credit from others. One of the more polarizing fighters in boxing, in terms of ranking as an overall great. Imo he is one of the greats, tho.

Floy isn't the best ever, but hes up there, for sure. Hearns is probably the worst possible match up for Floy, that's a terrible matchup for him imo, but I'd give him a legit shot against any of the atgs around that weight, dude has all the attributes needed to beat pretty much anybody.

I've never been a Mayweather fan but he did beat the best of his time and with the way he fights, you can see him beating any welter weight at any time.

On the other side though, he beat Sugar Shane when he was in his late 30's. Cotto who Pacquiao and Mayweather both avoided until after he got plastered by Margarito, btw, yes they both avoided Cotto, it was not a weight class issue.

He beat JMM after his prime, and the same goes for Pacquiao, he should of fought Manny 3 years earlier.

Tough call, but he definitely should be a top 10.

I'd have to agree with this. I think he was actually better in terms of ability than his record. He's choice of fighting certain opponents when they were past their best is what hurts his ranking in terms of best ever. Top 10 no doubt but I think he could have been higher if he'd have taken more risky fights. He was risk adverse which is why I can't put him at number 1.

What is a boxing elitist?

To my knowledge, typically when describing an elitist here on sherdog, the jerkoff poster has a join date of before 2004, often have difficulty acknowledging some modern fighters as superior to old school fighters. This applies to both MMA and boxing, but more so in the boxing forum where certain posters have hard ons for boxers who we only have black and white footage of or even better just written historical records of their fights.

He beat plenty of great fighters. Half of his resume will be in the HOF and he fought most of them coming off great performances.

Is Rocky Marciano great?

The point is his resume lacks wins against prime atgs and that's a black mark against him. Do you disagree. Do you think that beating prime atgs does not add value to a legacy?

Best of the era. Very cherry-picky with his big-name matchups, though. He patiently aged all of them before fighting them, except Canelo, who he got right at the beginning of his prime. Best defensive fighter ever, though. Top 5 WW all-time.

To my knowledge, typically when describing an elitist here on sherdog, the jerkoff poster has a join date of before 2004, often have difficulty acknowledging some modern fighters as superior to old school fighters. This applies to both MMA and boxing, but more so in the boxing forum where certain posters have hard ons for boxers who we only have black and white footage of or even better just written historical records of their fights.
And you are calling me one because I don't have floyd mayweather in my top 10 in a sport where there have been legitimately millions upon millions of boxers and is over a century old, and even said he was between 15-20 or even 10-20?

On the second page. I put who I have ahead of floyd clearly if you would like to debate that we can.

Best of the era. Very cherry-picky with his big-name matchups, though. He patiently aged all of them before fighting them, except Canelo, who he got right at the beginning of his prime. Best defensive fighter ever, though. Top 5 WW all-time.

Better than Sweet Pea?

The point is his resume lacks wins against prime atgs and that's a black mark against him. Do you disagree. Do you think that beating prime atgs does not add value to a legacy?
You first. Tyson and Marciano. Great fighters or no?

He doesn't have a career defining win. He doesn't have a win over a prime ATG. That's the mark, and a big one, againts him.

The JMM fight was the closest, but JMM was moving up in weight.

He doesn't have a prime Hearns, Duran, or Benitez level win on his CV like say SRL. Or a prime Morales, MAB or Cotto level win even like Pacquiao.

I think it keeps him well short of #10.

<{monica}>

Back