"44 years a Republican, 1 year an Independent, today I'm joining the Democratic Party"

Kneepocalypse

This is your god now.
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.chicagonow.com/politics-...endent-today-im-joining-the-democratic-party/

"My Mother's family helped organize the GOP in Illinois. They were opposed to one human being owning another human being as chattel. They found slavery morally repugnant and were zealots in advocating its demise. My family has been GOP blue-blood.

That is how far back my roots run in the GOP. I have no roots in the Democratic Party. However, it is time for me to lay some down.

Why I left the GOP:

Hate and paranoia have become an ideological principle in the GOP. The common view is the poor are thieves and stealing taxpayer's money. They point to social programs as having failed to end poverty. Social programs are not designed to end poverty. They are designed to keep you alive while an individual tries to find another pathway in life.

They hate education. Their steadfast crusade to end public education, to deny it money is an attack on our future. I went to public schools, including a public university. I received a good education, from dedicated teachers and professors. That should be preserved and not torn to shreds.

They are trade protectionists and isolationists. This is the final betrayal of Ronald Reagan.

They blame the victims. In fact, they have a false victimhood that they are actually the victims of the poor. They point to a mother on food stamps with an iPhone in her hand as "evidence" of theft. Did they ever stop to think that maybe a family member in better circumstances gave her that iPhone?

With competition, which the GOP claims is a very conservative idea, the prices on smartphones have dropped dramatically along with the cost of service. Why shouldn't a poor person have access to the rest of the world? Their view that I've read a hundred times if I have read it once. The resentment of the poor only continues the poverty and despair of the poor.

The GOP hates the poor. They are only interested in self. Everything with the GOP today is "I." There is no "we" in their dialogue. In the GOP rant about the poor, they go out of their way to admonish the poor for being poor. They treat them without dignity and try to destroy all hope for the poor.

The GOP is xenophobic. The day we lose the melting pot is the day we lose America. I wrote about that yesterday which you can read by clicking here.

Education is the key to ending poverty. See my comment above about the GOP views on education.

The GOP is overtly racist and unapologetic for it. They can talk about how much they love Israel but that doesn't stop them from being anti-semitic. They love the Jews "over there," but the Jews under their very noses? Not so much. This week, I have been told I am a :eek::eek::eek::eek: which is not a term of endearment and told there is an oven with my name on it. I belong in an oven because I don't agree with conservatives. That sums up today's GOP.

Why I'm joining the Democratic Party:

I am opposed to racism. I abhor racism, bigotry, and antisemitism. It is not "just an opinion" by "average citizens." It is a vile practice that is to be stood against whenever, and wherever it happens. The GOP is giving safe haven to the racists who flocked to the party after President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act. Based on a principle of human dignity, the Democratic Party said goodbye to the racists and they ran into the outstretched arms of the GOP.

The Democratic Party may not agree, but they listen. The far left is rigid and dogmatic but the average Democrat may not agree with you but they will listen to what you have to say. I am pro business, and so is the Democratic Party. It is now the home of Free Trade. The GOP is now the home of trade protectionism.

The Democratic Party supports collective bargaining. I can't say I am in love with Unions, I am not in love with them. However, I am in love with the Constitution of the USA and collective bargaining is a right under the First Amendment of the Constitution. I support that right for the same reason I support the right to own a firearm under the Second Amendment of the Constitution. If we find a way of end running any Amendment then we have just made the Constitution a meaningless document.

The Democratic Party believes everyone is entitled to dignity. The GOP is wrong on Healthcare along with nearly all social issues. Their proposals strip the poor, the elderly, and minorities of basic human dignity.

This was not an easy step. In the 80s, I was an advocate of trickle- down economics as the solution to our economic ills. It is hard to admitI was wrong. The theory sounds nice, but as evidence has shown, it is a myth. Educated Republicans understand income distribution is out of whack and are seeking ways of correcting the ill. They are running up against the rank ignorance brought into the party and exploited by the party."

Feel free to hate away and prove this guy's point.

Where did you copy and paste this drivel from?
NM...I see.....you and this piece are both full of shit.

And his follow up:
http://www.chicagonow.com/politics-...r-a-week-and-i-wonder-what-took-me-so-long/#/

The Democratic Reaction

As of today, I've received over 12,000 emails welcoming me to the Democratic Party. At least 50 of them are from County Chairmen of the Democratic Party. Two state Party Chairs have written me. By far, the warmest letters are from the rank and file.

The article itself has nearly 500 comments in the comments section. Chicago Now is a moderated site. What that means is a moderator has to approve every comment that is posted. That moderator is me. I have read every post. I haven't been able to respond to all of them but I have read all of them. I am deeply touched by their kindness and warmth.

Of all the 1000s of contacts I've had so far, I've only had two unkind notes from a Democrat. One was on twitter. The second was on Chicago Now. I was told in both cases that I have no soul or I could not have been a Republican in the first place. That is the kind of rancor that first made me think about leaving the GOP.

The Bernie Crowd

The Democratic Party is very much the centrist party in America at the moment. Yet, among this centrism sits the Bernie crowd who are way far to the left of liberal. They know I am not a fan of Bernie. I openly state it in the article. Their response has been to engage in civil discussion with me about it. They show respect and no hostility masquerading as candor.

They listen to my points, then they present me their points of view. If we disagree, we disagree and we look for areas where we can agree. That is a far cry from what I am used to.

The GOP Response

There are two levels of GOP response to my departing. The first level are those elected to Congress who are genuinely sad to see me leave. Some of them are genuinely sad I will no longer be raising money for them and giving them free campaign help. A couple are truly sorry to see me go. One, a Republican Member of the House told me without reservation that he has one foot out the door himself.

The second level, the rank and file are predictable. I've been called a communist, a libtard snowflake, a traitor to my race, a :eek::eek::eek::eek:, and of course "You were never a real Republican."

And his follow up:
http://www.chicagonow.com/politics-...r-a-week-and-i-wonder-what-took-me-so-long/#/

The Democratic Reaction

As of today, I've received over 12,000 emails welcoming me to the Democratic Party. At least 50 of them are from County Chairmen of the Democratic Party. Two state Party Chairs have written me. By far, the warmest letters are from the rank and file.

The article itself has nearly 500 comments in the comments section. Chicago Now is a moderated site. What that means is a moderator has to approve every comment that is posted. That moderator is me. I have read every post. I haven't been able to respond to all of them but I have read all of them. I am deeply touched by their kindness and warmth.

Of all the 1000s of contacts I've had so far, I've only had two unkind notes from a Democrat. One was on twitter. The second was on Chicago Now. I was told in both cases that I have no soul or I could not have been a Republican in the first place. That is the kind of rancor that first made me think about leaving the GOP.

The Bernie Crowd

The Democratic Party is very much the centrist party in America at the moment. Yet, among this centrism sits the Bernie crowd who are way far to the left of liberal. They know I am not a fan of Bernie. I openly state it in the article. Their response has been to engage in civil discussion with me about it. They show respect and no hostility masquerading as candor.

They listen to my points, then they present me their points of view. If we disagree, we disagree and we look for areas where we can agree. That is a far cry from what I am used to.

The GOP Response

There are two levels of GOP response to my departing. The first level are those elected to Congress who are genuinely sad to see me leave. Some of them are genuinely sad I will no longer be raising money for them and giving them free campaign help. A couple are truly sorry to see me go. One, a Republican Member of the House told me without reservation that he has one foot out the door himself.

The second level, the rank and file are predictable. I've been called a communist, a libtard snowflake, a traitor to my race, a :eek::eek::eek::eek:, and of course "You were never a real Republican."
And my follow up.....don't be a lazy snowflake.

Who leaves the Republican party in Obama's 7th years to go Independent for 1 year, only to then go Democrat ...?

s-224342aee3540a0e4261cbe49b7a4088b1ee9137.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like someone who his not based at all, and lets those around him easily influence him.

Typical cuck, if I ever heard of one.

Sounds like any religious person who grew up for 40 years, read a book and questioned themselves, then read another book and/or slept with a prostitue and became athiest/agnostic after a year or so.

Dude needs to stfu and stop blogging

You simply chose a party with a different set of fucked up leaders and attributes.

Joe Scarborough isn't alone.

The less popular party even with a galvanized vote is bleeding voters, and yet Republicans in here don't seem to care.

So where are you gonna protest tomorrow cuntcake?
Outside of your mom's house. It's not right the price she charges.

But seriously, is "protest" meant to be an insult? I havent participated in an actual protest before but I recognize it as a fundamentally American right and literally the reason the country was created.

Dude sounds like he gets pushed around pretty easily. "I don't like unions, but I'm joining democrats because they support unions".

He says the poor are victims, minorities=poor, and GOP are both pro-Israel and antisemitic. He also says he's doing it to "bring about change". Really, dude, just months into a new presidency after 8 years of a democrat president and that's when we need a fundamental shift in this country towards democrats? Sounds like this dude got trolled by some kids on twitter and turned into an SJW at like 60.

The next presidential election is pretty far away. Is this guy not even going to look at the candidates at all before declaring he's just going to vote democrat no matter who it is?

The less popular party even with a galvanized vote is bleeding voters, and yet Republicans in here don't seem to care.
How do you know who's a Republican?

Poll finds Trump standing weakened since springtime
President Trump’s standing with the American people has deteriorated since the spring, buffeted by perceptions of a decline in U.S. leadership abroad, a stalled presidential agenda at home and an unpopular Republican health-care bill, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Approaching six months in office, Trump’s overall approval rating has dropped to 36 percent from 42 percent in April. His disapproval rating has risen five points to 58 percent. Overall, 48 percent say they “disapprove strongly” of Trump’s performance in office, a level never reached by former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and reached only in the second term of George W. Bush in Post-ABC polling.

Almost half of all Americans (48 percent) see the country’s leadership in the world as weaker since Trump was inaugurated, compared with 27 percent who say it is stronger. Despite the fact that Trump campaigned as someone skilled at making deals that would be good for the country, majorities also say they do not trust him in negotiations with foreign leaders and in particular Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Just over one-third of all Americans say they trust the president either “a great deal” or “a good amount” in any such foreign negotiations. Asked specifically about Trump-Putin negotiations, almost 2 in 3 say they do not trust the president much, including 48 percent who say they do not trust the president “at all.”

Perceptions about the role of Russia in the 2016 election and possible collusion or cooperation with Trump campaign associates continue to be a drag on the president, though like many other questions, results show a clear partisan divide.

The Post-ABC poll finds 60 percent of Americans think Russia tried to influence the election outcome, up slightly from 56 percent in April. Some 44 percent suspect Russian interference and think Trump benefited from their efforts. Roughly 4 in 10 believe members of Trump’s campaign intentionally aided Russian efforts to influence the election, though suspicions have changed little since the spring.
The #Impeachburger hasn't even fully penetrated the mainstream, yet, either. This was from two days ago.

200.gif

Outside of your mom's house. It's not right the price she charges.

But seriously, is "protest" meant to be an insult? I havent participated in an actual protest before but I recognize it as a fundamentally American right and literally the reason the country was created.
You seem delicate......

Funny how Republicans control the White House, the Senate, the House of Representatives and the overwhelming majority of State Houses.

Yeah, really "bleeding voters". The Dems are barely a party at this point.

And this wasn't Joe Scarborough (who is NOT a Democrat). It's some idiot that has always been a left-wing loon. Every single one of his attacks on the GOP are the same ones the left always uses. This wasn't some recent change for him.

Back