As TBI becomes better understood,, weight cutting is looking like a contributor to the injury.. No matter the method of re-hydration, the spinal fluid around the brain is the last to come back.. Adding a few additional weight classes will make the bulk of complaints disappear.

More weight classes combined with small to no weight cuts would be amazing. Fight weigh in/day off weigh in and we're all good. Stronger athletes, more superfights.

The problem in this case seems to be the unexpectedness of having to rehydrate without the IV.

If you are planning to do it, you might have a better protocol worked out, or simply start cutting from a slightly lower weight.

So, you kill yourself to make an unnatural weight for your body and blame a nurse/upcoming IV ban for you depleting your body. Genius.

A good first step towards weighs in before you step in the cage.

At a minimum, I think fighters should step on a scale before entering the ring that displays the actual fight weight tot he crowd one of the things I dislike about weight cutting is the pretense that a lightweight fighter is fighting at 155. We know it isn't true, but are left to speculate on the actual sizes of the fighters.

If the tale of the tape has any interest to a fan, it may as well be accurate.

If we knew actual fight weights, it would be much easier to tell if there are large weight discrepancies between fighters on a regular basis.

''After cutting 20 pounds that dont come off easy...''

Like it was said before: how about moving to a weightclass where you dont have to cut 20 pounds, and where you possibly could fight people your own size.

No, it doesn't work like that, because the guys the weight class up are cutting 20 pounds as well. So even if a big weight cutter moved up a class, he wouldn't get guys his size he'd be undersized.

So, you kill yourself to make an unnatural weight for your body and blame a nurse/upcoming IV ban for you depleting your body. Genius.

Basically yes... several people have continuing issues from cutting,, kidneys being one of them.. Daniel Cormier couldn't compete in the Olympics one year due to kidney failure from weight cutting..

No, it doesn't work like that, because the guys the weight class up are cutting 20 pounds as well. So even if a big weight cutter moved up a class, he wouldn't get guys his size he'd be undersized.
If you cant cut the weight in a healthy manner... that's not your weight.

[Yt]h7Lo1dtwka8[/MEDIA]

"Witch Hunt" ???
That was dumb. The rules apply to everyone.

They're trying to cut down on PED's, which is Cheating.
I hate cheaters. So I have no problem with this.

They should have a Clean MMA organization and a PED-allowed organization.
Which maybe they all were at one point in history.

I think these guys just need to cut less weight...if everyone starts to get on the same standard them it will equal out.

Of course there are always those who will cut huge amounts but maybe their performances will dwindle and they'll get on the band wagon. I'm in meh shape and I've rolled with people who fight at 155 and holy shit...they rag doll me it's insane.

Fan opinion holds zero ground in comparison to the opinion of people who get in there and perform.

And 'people have been cutting weight forever' is a very valid argument in the fact that for decades wrestlers, boxers, judokas etc. have been part of a system that works. A fighter gassing because he cuts too much is his own problem and his own decision. And its been that way for the longest time. He is to blame and no one else. Renan Barao has trouble with his performance after cutting. He should move up. Johny Hendricks cuts more than 20 lbs. He makes weight and performs admirably. He should stay where he is. Chael Sonnen has said hes had to cut 20 lbs. He did it every single time and despite his faults has never had cardio issues.

There are fighters who cut and rehydrate (with IV's) and are ok to perform and have little issues doing it again. There's a guy at my gym who is 5'6 and a short reach and walks around between 170 and 180. He cuts down to lightweight and rehydrates with an IV. Asking a guy like him to fight at 170 considering his body size would be unfair and by everyone's admission not as competitive.

Any person suffering from a weight cut is at fault. Not the rules or regulations. Weight cutting is a fighter's responsibility and prerogative and if he does it right every single time, no one has the right to tell him otherwise.

Unless the fighters plan on paying themselves I'd say fan's opinions matter. And if your saying guys will continue to avoid fighting at their natural weight and still do major weight-cuts and now just give us shitty fight performances because they can't IV re-hydrate because it masks PEDS then wtf are we paying for? I have been a long-time customer but I won't keep paying if guys constantly gas instead of just fighting at a weight they can put on a good fight at

"Witch Hunt" ???
That was dumb. The rules apply to everyone.

They're trying to cut down on PED's, which is Cheating.
I hate cheaters. So I have no problem with this.

They should have a Clean MMA organization and a PED-allowed organization.
Which maybe they all were at one point in history.

And he is going to say basically everybody in top 10 of every weight class is on PEDS while of course claiming he is clean? That's a great look for MMA. Either shill your product or give your shitty opinion of why you aren't in the top 10 but both is a bit much. I want to see people called out for cheating but the only witch-hunt going on is the guy that just threw all top ten fighters under the bus based on what one person supposedly said to him? I started the video thinking "good for him, entrepreneur, knows to plug it as good for hangovers, kinda outspoken, etc" but by the end of it I was like this guy is annoying the shit out of me.

Stop being idiots and cutting so much weight.

Pretty simple really.

And he is going to say basically everybody in top 10 of every weight class is on PEDS while of course claiming he is clean? That's a great look for MMA. Either shill your product or give your shitty opinion of why you aren't in the top 10 but both is a bit much. I want to see people called out for cheating but the only witch-hunt going on is the guy that just threw all top ten fighters under the bus based on what one person supposedly said to him? I started the video thinking "good for him, entrepreneur, knows to plug it as good for hangovers, kinda outspoken, etc" but by the end of it I was like this guy is annoying the shit out of me.

Exactly. I started out enjoying the interview until he said 'witch hunt', and like you said, threw everyone above him under the bus. :|

IV ban isn't targeted against weight cutting but EPO and advanced doping.

UFC fighter doesn't know how to hydrate. Hint Gatorade or Isostar or shit with electrolytes.

The IV ban is stupid. Iv been saying that for a long time.

People will put up the 'natural weight class' argument. But trust me, fighters will STILL cut weight and the fights will be more draining and boring with people gassing out by the 2nd round.

Weight cutting has existed for a LOOONG time. I dont know why the issue of 'natural weight' is cropping up now.

And unless the fans who complain have ever fought, they dont really have a right to tell a fighter which weight class to fight at.

There are some very short fighters with short ranges who dont feel competitive at their natural weight class. If they feel they can make weight and rehydrate with an IV, let them.

Actually it'll sort itself out in time. Why didn't everyone cut two or three weight divisions with IV like Rumble did? Because it became obvious that cutting too much weakened you to ineffectiveness. Fighters will learn where they can fight effectively without IV, and after a short while will move there.

And some combat sports (judo for instance) have same day weigh-ins (typically an hour before competition) even at the Olympic level - and all that happens is they compete at a higher weight than they would with a water cut.

Rousey's an example. She competed at 154 in judo with hour before weigh ins, she cuts to 135 with 24 hours to rehydrate ... which is the normal 20 pound water cut for a 150 pound athlete. What removing IV will do will change the norm from a 20 pound cut for say 150 pound fighters, to 10-15 pounds. That will make some fighters change weight divisions, which is fine.

20 pounds is not a big cut for MW, he would be a very small LHW.

Fan opinion holds zero ground in comparison to the opinion of people who get in there and perform.

And 'people have been cutting weight forever' is a very valid argument in the fact that for decades wrestlers, boxers, judokas etc. have been part of a system that works. A fighter gassing because he cuts too much is his own problem and his own decision. And its been that way for the longest time. He is to blame and no one else. Renan Barao has trouble with his performance after cutting. He should move up. Johny Hendricks cuts more than 20 lbs. He makes weight and performs admirably. He should stay where he is. Chael Sonnen has said hes had to cut 20 lbs. He did it every single time and despite his faults has never had cardio issues.

There are fighters who cut and rehydrate (with IV's) and are ok to perform and have little issues doing it again. There's a guy at my gym who is 5'6 and a short reach and walks around between 170 and 180. He cuts down to lightweight and rehydrates with an IV. Asking a guy like him to fight at 170 considering his body size would be unfair and by everyone's admission not as competitive.

Any person suffering from a weight cut is at fault. Not the rules or regulations. Weight cutting is a fighter's responsibility and prerogative and if he does it right every single time, no one has the right to tell him otherwise.

For how many decades have people been using IVs to rehydrate after a weight cut?

And no, "it's been done this way for a long time" is always a bad reason to carry on doing something, and has no place in conversations between adults.

ETA: As for the last bit there, that no one has the right to tell him otherwise. I have the right to tell him whatever I want. Don't be stupid. Being a fighter does not elevate someone's status to the point that they have the right not to be criticized.

Last edited:
Back