The IV ban is dumb. Fuck it. I want an Openweight division. Conor McGregor vs Mark Hunt.

So if they're testing for IV use by looking for plastic residue in blood tests, as Birchak is saying, then what about people who go to a hospital and get UFC legal IV hydration? On the Rogan podcast the drug enforcement guy (Forget his name) said if a fighter was to need IV hydration he could legally within the new rules go to a hospital and get one there, and they would not even have to inform the UFC of this. Could a fighter not simple arrange IV's to be administered by doctors? I mean technically, if you cut 20lbs of water weight and walk into a hospital in that condition chances are they are going to give you an IV any way... A UFC legal IV.

I can just see every fight jumping into a car straight to the nearest hospital right after weigh ins.

So if they're testing for IV use by looking for plastic residue in blood tests, as Birchak is saying, then what about people who go to a hospital and get UFC legal IV hydration? On the Rogan podcast the drug enforcement guy (Forget his name) said if a fighter was to need IV hydration he could legally within the new rules go to a hospital and get one there, and they would not even have to inform the UFC of this. Could a fighter not simple arrange IV's to be administered by doctors? I mean technically, if you cut 20lbs of water weight and walk into a hospital in that condition chances are they are going to give you an IV any way... A UFC legal IV.

I can just see every fight jumping into a car straight to the nearest hospital right after weigh ins.

IV's aren't exactly banned, from what I understand they can still get them.

What is happening in sports is the collector comes for samples, and the athletes throw an IV in their arm and make the collector wait, and it can be used to mask the presence of certain substances iirc.

Honestly, how is it so hard for every single fighter to say "So we all move up a weightclass, right?"

For a few guys apparently they gotta move up too. I'm sure they'll survive.... or they won't. I don't care. Enough with the BS weight cuts.

If re-hydrating with an IV is supposedly not as effective as doing it orally, according to USADA, what does it matter? The fluids in an IV aren't banned substances or performance enhancing at all, so I don't understand how the fighters get an edge in a fight from it?

I have seen studies that show oral rehydration may be better, I don't think it's been studied enough to say for sure.

IV's aren't exactly banned, from what I understand they can still get them.

What is happening in sports is the collector comes for samples, and the athletes throw an IV in their arm and make the collector wait, and it can be used to mask the presence of certain substances iirc.

In that case the IV ban would only really be an issue for fights who are cheating. If you're not cheating and your only concern is rehydrating after a weight cut you have nothing to worry about. Go to the hospital, get an IV there and everything is fine.

The IV ban is moronic.

Also, one of the worst stoppages I've ever seen in that fight.

Honestly, how is it so hard for every single fighter to say "So we all move up a weightclass, right?"

For a few guys apparently they gotta move up too. I'm sure they'll survive.... or they won't. I don't care. Enough with the BS weight cuts.

It's pretty fucking hard, numb nuts. Because it's not like boxing where there's a bazillion weight classes six pounds apart. Everyone's natural weight is different, so if you're a guy who's 5'9", you probably want to fight at lightweight or lighter, yet you probably walk around at 180 pounds. The best solution to ensure you're fighting guys your size? Cut the weight and rehydrate using IV's to recover faster. Banning the process that helps these guys recover is going to make for sloppy gasfests.

It's pretty fucking hard, numb nuts. Because it's not like boxing where there's a bazillion weight classes six pounds apart. Everyone's natural weight is different, so if you're a guy who's 5'9", you probably want to fight at lightweight or lighter, yet you probably walk around at 180 pounds. The best solution to ensure you're fighting guys your size? Cut the weight and rehydrate using IV's to recover faster. Banning the process that helps these guys recover is going to make for sloppy gasfests.

If you wanna fight at a lighter weight maybe you should lose some weight???

Things will change. This sport has been freak-laced for years. Now with the IV ban and PED regs, we're gonna see a lot more human fighters.

If you wanna fight at a lighter weight maybe you should lose some weight???

Why would a guy go out of his way to lose some muscle when he can rehydrate and recover with an IV and keep it? Why would you want to lose something that's going to help you in the fight game?

So this means that Conor is pretty much having his last fight on FW.

I'm no a fan of the IV ban, but I've long believed that there are quite a few guys stretching the whole weight cut thing too far. Not just the obvious names like AJ either. I don't think it's healthy and it's right up against the border of trying to get an unfair advantage in the extreme cases. In my opinion a guy should remain within 10 or 15 lbs of his weightclass at all times. Certainly by the middle of camp he should be that close. Anything more and he is more than likely doing hard himself.

We have a right to inject our opinions on how we feel the sport we support should be governed.
If we think that weight cutting is unhealthy/cowardly/whatever, we have every right to pressure the organisational bodies into moving away from it.

"people have been cutting weight forever," is also a stupid argument.

You certainly have a right to your opinion. In my opinion only a cowardly dullard would accuse a person who steps into a cage with another well trained fighter intent on hurting them in front of a huge audience of cowardice, while not recognising the irony of themselves doing so from the comfort and safety of their own home and using a medium which supplies almost total anonymity.

Tl; DR - IMO your bein a idiot

The fact is in Brunson elects not to cut weight he will be at a significant disadvantage competing at LHW against other fighters who do elect to cut weight. The IV ban may help somewhat with the extreme cutting, but only same-day weigh ins can really level the field. I'd welcome that step being taken.

Cutting weight is a two-edged sword, in that one may significantly reduce their endurance over the course of a fight in exchange for a size and strength advantage. But as long as there are 230/240lbs guys fighting at LHW all the competitors in divisions below HW will face pressure to cut weight also.

Oral re-hydration is a science, he probably just didn't know how to do it properly.

I actually think Brunson would be pretty undersized at 205.

Next time post the name of the person that you quote in the title to save me a click.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back