25 Minority Characters That Hollywood Whitewashed

How many Asian parents are going to help their kids pay the rent in NYC or LA, so they can pursue a pipe dream of becoming an actor? I knew one Asian girl that was hot and a bartender in NYC that had a degree from a good school and a rich daddy, but that has to be rare. If you can get a good job in the hospital or equivalent, why take the risk of trying to become an actor?

I knew a couple of them who took drama in college, but never got anything except extra work
I support the director's right to make the best film possible, and if that means they use a talented white actor rather than a sub-par inuit, then I'm fine with it.

However, that means the director has to live with the consequences if it doesn't work out well.

What about casint lou diamond philips in ever single native american lead in the 80 and 90s lol, and lou was filipino not native, i think he even olays a native on longmire

some whiny ass shit in this thread

I don't care unless its blatant like what happened in the Last Airbender, which I guess isn't technically whitewashing. I'm more insulted by remaking Annie, a redhead, a little black girl and also making Daddy Warbucks freaking Jamie Fox. Or when they used Nick Cannon in the Can't Buy Me Love remake and basically told him to black it up.

casting Sean Connery as a spaniard was pure genius though.

latest

I find it more egregious that JCVD is always somehow a French accented cat that is in America, and yet he's COL Guile and a bunch of American characters.....

nobody is like 'yo, why is this French guy representing the US in the kumite?'

anyone?

I don't think think that's true though. Bigoted Hollywood movie execs assume the worst of the American audience. But they were wrong about casting blacks and women and I think they are wrong here.

Did casting white actors help sell the Dragonball movie or the Last Airbender? Those movies sucked, but casting white people only added to the ridicule.

Maybe it's just me, but I think in 2017, movie audiences can handle seeing an Asian protagonist without being put off.

I remember watching that movie with chow yun fat and mira sorvino and this one white dude with his white girlfriend starting walking out halfway saying chin ching chong loud, and said fuck this shit. He was dressed like how a lot of those white skater motorcross guys dressed like fred durst from limp biscuit this was like 1998 or 99.

Alot of the white conservative get mad when whitewashing comes up saying who cares as long as the actors are good, they hate minorities complaining and group all of them as complainers even the asians who rarely complain and work hard, its that subconcious racism, yet they will be bitching hard when a black guy plays an originally white characters role or if people try to cast a black james bond, sorta hypocritical. Im black and think its stupid to cast a black james bond. just create a new character who is black, and then they write articles saying how progressive it is or inclusive.

I find it more egregious that JCVD is always somehow a French accented cat that is in America, and yet he's COL Guile and a bunch of American characters.....

nobody is like 'yo, why is this French guy representing the US in the kumite?'

anyone?
It's especially funny seeing the beginning of the film and watching the kid that plays a young Frank.

I don't know what kind of training that Japanese guy put him through to turn him from a goofy, mildly retarded American kid into Belgian Johnny Cage, but it must have been some crazy shit.

Rico was Filipino in the Starship Troopers book. But in the movie he is from Argentina.

I always wondered why the fuck they were in Buenos Aires in Starship Troopers. I always just assumed that America had conquered the planet

If we're going to use modern PC terms for ancient ethnographic populations likely no longer extant then cleopatra isn't "a woman of colour" but white.

The ancient Greeks, Macedonians and Ptolemaic Egyptian nobility (as well as the ancient romans) would look more "white" than a "brown" or "black" person of today. Just as modern Greeks, Macedonians and Italians look more white than those that claim to be "of colour".

It never really bothered me when the Director or studio change the ethnicities of the characters. However, it usually looks cringeworthy when they try to change the ethnicity of the actor to match the role, I can see how that would be offensive.

The only exception is the "Native American" guy from Predator

didn't see any Russians complaining about a swede playing Drago or a brit playing Yuri Boyka

like Notre Dame's drunken leprechaun mascot, I'm beginning to see a trend here.......

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/04/25-minority-characters-that-hollywood-whitewashed/

never knew 21 that black jack movie was a real story and it was all Asian students from MIT why not just cast Asian actors?

There are obviously more than those listed.

Im one of those guys who believe if the role is originally black, white, asian dont change it cast accordingly. I dont like when they cast black actors in traditionally white roles either and im black, just create new characters.

It seems Asians have it the worst though, they still get white washed, they actually put more effort in adding Gays and Trannies, if you think about it, Hollywood has more Gays and Trannies on TV and film than Asian leads.

Damn, would suck to be an Asian tranny.

Khan Noonien Singh played by the whitest man in the world with the whitest name on the planet - Benedict Cumberbatch.

I dont like forced affirmative action type casting thats going on with a lot of roles today like making Captain Marvel a female, or changing a comic character to a gay or tranny just to appease some left wing agenda.

Asians dont complain, its why they get the shaft, they are literally still doing it to Asians though because they dont complain. If they do cast an Asian they try to kill two birds with one stone, they will cast a gay Asian or something, a lot of those medical dramas had few Asians but if anyone knows real life they have MANY asian nurses and doctors at big city hospitals.

But you cant really blame hollywood they know most of America will not watch a movie like Ghost in the Shell if the leads were Asians, or 21 if it was true to form with Asians.

They study this and know it thats why studios recast these roles with white actors, because an all Asian cast is not going to make money in America and if it does its an exception and rarity like Crouching Tiger.

Yeah, I hear ya, buddy. It was absurding seeing a white actor play Goku or that lead character in Avatar, but hey, it's Hollywood. They're all pieces of shit over there.

I grew up in Hollywood - attended Vine Street Elementary school and Bancroft Middle School. Most of the people there are fake and plastic as shit.

didn't see any Russians complaining about a swede playing Drago or a brit playing Yuri Boyka

like Notre Dame's drunken leprechaun mascot, I'm beginning to see a trend here.......
Still white playing white. We talking white playing asian rolls. Now if its chinese playing korean or to that degree then honestly who gaf long as they can act.

Still white playing white. We talking white playing asian rolls. Now if its chinese playing korean or to that degree then honestly who gaf long as they can act.
perhaps the beef shouldn't be w/ whitewashing, as the fact that two asian actors each got like half the asian roles in hollywood for 20 years

seriously, tho
Mako has 159 roles, Al Leoung has 69
edit: cary tagawa has another 129 of those roles....

Khan Noonien Singh played by the whitest man in the world with the whitest name on the planet - Benedict Cumberbatch.

Ricardo Montalban was of 100% European decent and his name is of European origin as well. Is Cumberbatch more offensive than him for some reason?

perhaps the beef shouldn't be w/ whitewashing, as the fact that two asian actors each got like half the asian roles in hollywood for 20 years

seriously, tho
Mako has 159 roles, Al Leoung has 69
edit: cary tagawa has another 129 of those roles....
With current trend in Hollywood "China-izing" every big budget crap that comes out, you can bet that all Asian rolls will go to Chinese actors anyway.

With current trend in Hollywood "China-izing" every big budget crap that comes out, you can bet that all Asian rolls will go to Chinese actors anyway.
that's not a trend as much as it is doing the bidding....
a majority stake in Legendary pictures is now owned by a Chinese investor, for example, and represented the second largest Foreign Direct Investment from China in the US in 2015

Back