25 Minority Characters That Hollywood Whitewashed

5b77f7ab74524dd30d6875d33bf8d73c.jpg

What about Viggo Mortensen as Lalin in Carlitos Way!

I haven't seen the movie, but what was supposed to be the character’s ethnicity?

Because Mortensen lived in Argentina as a kid and he speaks better Spanish than most US-born Latinos, with a thick Argentinian accent too. With his complexion and that accent he could really play an Argentinian without much problems.

I haven't seen the movie, but what was supposed to be the character’s ethnicity?

Because Mortensen lived in Argentina as a kid and he speaks better Spanish than most US-born Latinos, with a thick Argentinian accent too. With his complexion and that accent he could really play an Argentinian without much problems.

Puerto Rican. He did a good job too. I never knew the actor was white till he became famous. It's a small role. To be honest I don't care that he is white. I just thought it was cool he played a Latino character really good. And yes his spanish is better than the average US latino.

I remember when Kurosawa filmed MacBeth and recast the white roles with all Asian actors.

King Lear as well but really I think that's a rather different situation, he took a basic plot outline from Shakespear and put it into a different environment, something that's been done in the west many times before.

Kurosawa did get remade alot by hollywood but it was also a bit of a two way process as his Samurai films clearly took alot from classic westerns.

Drive seems a strange one to pick out given that its an original story, I think Mulligan worked well personally having good chemistry with both Gosling and Oscar Isaac.

Last edited:
Puerto Rican. He did a good job too. I never knew the actor was white till he became famous. It's a small role. To be honest I don't care that he is white. I just thought it was cool he played a Latino character really good. And yes his spanish is better than the average US latino.

When it comes to the subject matter of this thread, Latinos represent a grey area because they aren't really a race, they are an ethnicity.

With the exception of specific historical characters, Latino characters could conceivably be of any race.

One the subject as well I tend to think the recent Ghost in the Shell outcry was a classic example of a lazy journalistic/net pile on, basically
looking to nail a winder issue ontop a single culprit without really doing such research about it. For one thing the role was never really
"Japanese" in the first place and indeed in Oshii's film the character is delibartely played up to look like more of a standard western
manaquin. For another the film itself actually incorperates the switch of ethinciity into its story making commentary on it.

When it comes to the subject matter of this thread, Latinos represent a grey area because they aren't really a race, they are an ethnicity.

With the exception of specific historical characters, Latino characters could conceivably be of any race.

yeah, thats why I dont include Latinos, unless its a real life story with a Dark mexican Indian looking character played by a white guy who doesn't even look like the real life guy or speak spanish.

Latino is a grey area you got guys like Canelo Alvarez who are mexican, Latinos are mixed you got white, black, asian and mulattoo and mestizo latinos. Basically anyone can play a latino.

This is White washing history how the hell did they think of casting this blue eyed white british guy to play a Dark polynesian War hero?

IT is no longer art when you are doing a non fiction film and taking away the truth from it, method actors try to bring as much honesty to the roles, well casting a white man in a polynesian real life war hero movie is dishonest, couldnt they cast a Dark guy or even a Filipino for this role? Why a white man with blue eyes? makes no sense at all that is white washing
ZachMcGowanKanahele-640x480.jpg

Hawaii is going ballistic.

C_ag-J2UwAAas6B.jpg

My biggest issue was ScarJo on Ghost in the Shell. They did it simply to put her in a skin tight skin colored suit and nothing more.

Elba as Heimdal don't care, a guy like Oldman playing a non white part don't care.

Though I do like how RDJ character in Tropic Thunder makes fun of this.

My biggest issue was ScarJo on Ghost in the Shell. They did it simply to put her in a skin tight skin colored suit and nothing more.

Elba as Heimdal don't care, a guy like Oldman playing a non white part don't care.

Though I do like how RDJ character in Tropic Thunder makes fun of this.

There have been worse decisions in Hollywood.

There have been worse decisions in Hollywood.
Oh I know but she's already in a damn faux leather cat suit thing for Avengers which is more my thing. The skin tone one is too much of a goddamn tease.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/04/25-minority-characters-that-hollywood-whitewashed/

never knew 21 that black jack movie was a real story and it was all Asian students from MIT why not just cast Asian actors?

There are obviously more than those listed.

Im one of those guys who believe if the role is originally black, white, asian dont change it cast accordingly. I dont like when they cast black actors in traditionally white roles either and im black, just create new characters.

It seems Asians have it the worst though, they still get white washed, they actually put more effort in adding Gays and Trannies, if you think about it, Hollywood has more Gays and Trannies on TV and film than Asian leads.
Big budget movie production is an investment, not an exercise in authenticity or social justice. Those decisions made are based on return of investment, and little else.

Back