25 Minority Characters That Hollywood Whitewashed

Almost there. The Magnificent Seven was an homage to a clearly superior Seven Samurai.

Can't say I'm mad about any of that. Remakes are rarely better and I'm in no way upset about anyone making remake.

Is it offensive for someone to make a remake if the original was made by someone not of his ethnicity?

Can't say I'm mad about any of that. Remakes are rarely better and I'm in no way upset about anyone making remake.

Is it offensive for someone to make a remake if the original was made by someone not of his ethnicity?

Just kidding ESO ES RACISTA!

Not really. If there's a remake, that means the original was groundbreaking or at least a great film. The pressure is on the remake team. Hey, at least make it progressive so people won't be able to criticize it, lest they want to be called racist bigots.

chow-ss-slide-G7KR-superJumbo.jpg

Love Mickey Rooney but this is terribly racist.

John Wayne is the closest we'll ever see to a modern day Genghis Khan...

yul-brynner-actor-1959-bptw6h.jpg

Should have cast Yul Byrnner. He claimed he had Mongolian heritage.
He really had Native Siberian. But that's better than nothing.

I knew a couple of them who took drama in college, but never got anything except extra work

What about casint lou diamond philips in ever single native american lead in the 80 and 90s lol, and lou was filipino not native, i think he even olays a native on longmire

Don't forget Mexican also!

large_4SRdpF1O7AusNA3eLWkhO3D2VDE.jpg

515AP9KCKPL.jpg

Im really surprised that Yul was able to be a leading man in those days, he had such a an exotic look going on.

galleryimage_image_188.jpg

5b77f7ab74524dd30d6875d33bf8d73c.jpg

What about Viggo Mortensen as Lalin in Carlitos Way!

I find it more egregious that JCVD is always somehow a French accented cat that is in America, and yet he's COL Guile and a bunch of American characters.....

nobody is like 'yo, why is this French guy representing the US in the kumite?'

anyone?
well thats like arnolds whole career.

Just in case no one else pointed it out, Cleopatra was of Greek descent as part of the Ptolemaic Dynasty.

Ricardo Montalban was of 100% European decent and his name is of European origin as well. Is Cumberbatch more offensive than him for some reason?

Patently.

Kahn in TOS was portrayed and depicted by Ricardo Montalban specifically as an Indian Sikh. States so right in the episode. Montalbahn is dark complexioned enough to play a generic brown man so it's reasonable to assume that the producers of the original series were at least trying.

Does Benedict Cumberbatch look, sound, act like any Sikh you've ever seen or heard of?

Lol

ua03ixmoj0w0zbxdcmoc.jpg

We can also add every al Pacino gangster role except godfather.
pacino in brown face was lolworthy because he spoke almost zero spanish in those movies he could haveat least faked it phonetically. olga kurylenko and theo rossi also brown faced their roles.

What if I told you that in a China, they make Chinese ripoff versions of Hollywood movies with... Chinese actors, it's insane

Why is this even a thread? I can't even count the number of recent movies that have black, woman, or gaywashed white characters.

Agreed. He would have been great.

Fun trivia - I have a cousin from New York who performed on Broadway with him in The King and I. My cousin had a small part as one of the kids.

But I'll always remember that picture with him and Yul Byrnner at my grandparents house, making me feel inadequate

Remember that terrible movie based on a good book Rising Sun.

Widely accused of Japan bashing.

Changed the protagonist from white to black and tried to add racial tension.

Changed the murder from Japanese to a white guy.

On a good note it did at least have a lot of Asians in the movie.

Had the hottest most voluptuous red head I have ever seen in a movie. OK, that has nothing to do with this thread, but it had to be said.
The book was good and true on many accounts but japs cried about it.

Back