Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 9.0

Ya i am genuinely baffled by how animals communicate?

It seemed intuitive to me that sharks and other animals who learned about various cleaner fish and shrimp and who would come and submit themselves to them would learn about thru evolution over generations.

Meaning one shark might learn about a cleaner fish by accident and then over generations more and more would learn and observe the known behaviour of submitting to cleaning to a point where it just became common place and past on knowledge to the masses.

Now I am not so sure it is past on knowledge across a bunch of time, as the video below suggests near instantaneous transmission of this NEW knowledge that a human can serve this function and then the lineups begin.

So rather than passed on knowledge, the only explanation I can intuit, is that it is all observed body language. Much like animals know when Turkey Vultures circle in the air it means a dead animal is somewhere down below.

So when Sharks see other sharks take a position of submission, they know that position means they are getting cleaned and they too will come to investigate. Even the cueing up process as other sharks await their turn is likely a signal to other sharks. The more that come, the more enticed to come. And so on.

That is my guess anyway which is a change from my prior view that it was 'handed down' knowledge across generations.

I put it down to individual curiosity.. all animals who are curious have the ability to learn.. stingrays who are closely related to sharks have the ability to cooperate to get to food that they otherwise couldn't get to even if it means sharing, ie less food..

In captivity they can learn to pick up rocks and knock on the glass, float upside down and shoot water out of the tank and they often surf the stream from the pumps..

I'm not gonna absolutely say stingrays have moods but there is really no point in expending that energy from a survival perspective.. so i'd guess out of my ass that they do some stuff just for fun..

Last edited:
Job Posting :

- Looking for new employees to help with our high turn over rate
- job is clearing the road of unwanted debris and keeping local animals safe
- must love job as pay is low but rewarding for its short duration

Job Posting :

Here's what happens when you get bit by a King, even with getting the antivenom within 20 minutes

Even after losing part of that finger, he still free handles his monocled cobra, Kilo. A monocled is more venomous than a king.
9rab3kx7vke51.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw this and couldn't stop laughing

Some wild animals may be cute but never forget they are WILD animals, not pets.

Job Posting :

This guy is a huge piece of shit and will get tagged one day and dead.

Looks like we might see the Thylacine in our lifetime.

De-extinction Company Aims to Resurrect the Tasmanian Tiger

Now the wolflike creature—also known as the Tasmanian tiger—is poised to become an emblem of de-extinction, an initiative that seeks to create new versions of lost species. Colossal Biosciences, a Texas-based de-extinction company that made headlines last September when it revealed that it planned to bring back the woolly mammoth, announced today that its second project will be resurrecting the thylacine.
Colossal Biosciences, co-founded by Harvard University geneticist George Church and tech entrepreneur Ben Lamm, is working with the University of Melbourne’s Andrew Pask, who has already sequenced most of the thylacine genome. The thylacine is the perfect candidate for de-extinction, Pask says, because it died out relatively recently, good-quality DNA is available, and its prey and parts of its natural habitat still exist.
In March his team established the Thylacine Integrated Genetic Restoration Research Lab with a philanthropic gift of five million Australian dollars (about $3.6 million). Colossal is providing “more than that” sum, Pask says—he won’t divulge exactly how much—as well as access to equipment, another dedicated thylacine lab in Texas and a large team of researchers.
With this partnership established, Pask now says it’s reasonable to expect to have “a de-extincted thylacine-ish thing” in a decade. That first iteration might be “90 percent thylacine,” he says, though the ultimate goal is more like 99.9 percent. Eventually—after many years of monitoring the engineered animals in a large enclosed area—Colossal’s goal is to release a viable, genetically-diverse population of perhaps 100 proxy thylacines into the wild.
For the thylacine, the first task is to complete the sequencing of the animal’s genome. Pask’s lab has about 96 percent of it down, but the final 4 percent is the trickiest, he says. “It’s like doing one of those horrible puzzles that’s all baked beans or all blue sky. Every bit looks the same, and we’re trying to figure out how it goes together.
Next the researchers will compare the genome of the thylacine to that of one of its closest living relatives: the fat-tailed dunnart, a mouse-sized marsupial that is relatively abundant and copes well in captivity. Using CRISPR gene-editing technology, the scientists will engineer the dunnart’s genome to more closely resemble the thylacine’s.
The researchers have already figured out how to re-program dunnart skin cells into stem calls, and are currently testing them to see whether they’re capable of generating an entire embryo—something that hasn’t yet been done in marsupials, which develop differently from placental mammals such as humans and mice. Once they’ve fine-tuned the recipe, they’ll be able to use the stem cells to create a gene-edited living embryo they can insert into either a dunnart mother or an artificial marsupial womb, which they would have to invent.

Back